Hard drive pwoer switch

Prefix: No specific version
Hi there,
Do you use a spinning hard drive power switch to completely/electrically switch off/on the device?
What type do you have? One with push buttons that one can buy or other home made with relays or MOSFET?

Could you tell me your experience?
Thanks

Hi
No switch, just a disk caddy (4 x 2.5" HDD that fits in a 5.25" drive bay), power down (hotswap) and unplug the device…

All my 3.5" “external” drives are in store-bought cases with power switches and wall warts for power. “External” 2.5" drives I sometimes use in the same type of 3.5" cases, other times just an unpowered USB adapter that needs power from a USB port and has no switch.

I forgot to tell that I am asking mainly about internal, SATA HDDs!

Thanks

Hi
That’s why I suggested a caddy, power down and just unplug…?

I see on Amazon a “Hard Drive Power Switch Module for 2.5 inch / 3.5 inch SATA HDD/SSD, 4-Way Hard Drive Power Independent Switch Controller with TVS Protection”

I understand, however my box is large, reused from an old config and HDDs are less prone to bad handling as they are fasten in the frame.

I saw this device but it need to be very careful when power off the drive, sync, unmount before switching.
I was thinking to an interesting project; A HDD power switch controlled by USB with USB/GPIO converter and MOSFET. Software could power off after a while and power on when the user click on the HDD shortcut in the file manager.
I did some search but can’t find a tested schematic. Do you have info/idea?

Revised scripts now work reliably: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/568451-Disabling-SATA-disk-and-scanning-for-it?p=3124015#post3124015

scan-for-backup-disk powers up and mounts the drive. disable-backup-disk unmounts and powers off.

Power On and Off (hot swap) is a part of SATA (eSATA) specification.
To use it enable this feature in BIOS or use eSATA port with compatible controller.