GUI not loading after installation

I’ve got both installed now. Firefox works fine with bumblebee but chrome doesn’t. It seems to be a bug in chrome so I will have to stick to firefox right now.
The main reason I purchased an NVIDIA card is because I wanted to try it out in Blender Cycles. Therefore I downloaded the opensuse 13.1 cuda rpm from nvidia and installed it. CUDA is still not working but optirun is broken again. My intel card works fine but optirun again returns “[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) /dev/dri/card1: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied”
This might also be interesting, /usr/sbin/bumblebeed -vv returns:

538.937096] [DEBUG]Found card: 01:00.0 (discrete)  538.937104] [DEBUG]Found card: 00:02.0 (integrated)
  538.937107] [DEBUG]Reading file: /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
  538.937473] [DEBUG]Process /sbin/modprobe started, PID 22242.
  538.937506] [DEBUG]Hiding stderr for execution of /sbin/modprobe
  538.938383] [DEBUG]SIGCHILD received, but wait failed with No child processes
  538.938392] [DEBUG]Detected nvidia driver (module nvidia)
  538.938526] [DEBUG]succesfully loaded bbswitch
  538.938529] [INFO]Switching method 'bbswitch' is available and will be used.
  538.938531] [DEBUG]Active configuration:
  538.938533] [DEBUG] bumblebeed config file: /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
  538.938535] [DEBUG] X display: :8
  538.938536] [DEBUG] LD_LIBRARY_PATH: /usr/lib64/nvidia:/usr/lib/nvidia
  538.938538] [DEBUG] Socket path: /var/run/bumblebee.socket
  538.938539] [DEBUG] xorg.conf file: /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia
  538.938541] [DEBUG] xorg.conf.d dir: /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d
  538.938543] [DEBUG] ModulePath: /usr/lib64/nvidia/xorg/,/usr/lib64/xorg/modules
  538.938545] [DEBUG] GID name: bumblebee
  538.938546] [DEBUG] Power method: auto
  538.938548] [DEBUG] Stop X on exit: 1
  538.938549] [DEBUG] Driver: nvidia
  538.938551] [DEBUG] Driver module: nvidia
  538.938553] [DEBUG] Card shutdown state: 1
  538.938614] [DEBUG]Process /sbin/modprobe started, PID 22243.
  538.938647] [DEBUG]Hiding stderr for execution of /sbin/modprobe
  538.939417] [DEBUG]SIGCHILD received, but wait failed with No child processes
  538.939425] [DEBUG]Configuration test passed.                                                                                     
  538.939624] [ERROR]Could not set the GID of bumblebee: Operation not permitted

All user groups are configured correctly. I tried to remove and install all sorts of packages via yast but without any success. There are now also packages from the nvidia cuda repo so I’ve no idea what to choose.
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=692d3cc (expires in 28 days)
Just reinstalling bumblebee and bumblebee-nvidia does not seem to have any effect (yast seems to work very cool btw, much better than the Ubuntu software center in my opinion)

If you added a card you do not have an Optimus system (most generally found in laptops) you do not want Bumblebee.

Disable Intel GPU in the BIOS. Then use the normal NVIDIA driver. Optimus is a special hardware firmware solution to integrate NVIDIA and Intel GPU’s in a laptop or other small form package. In an Optimus system Both GPUs use the same Frame buffer. Just because you happen to have a Intel processor that also as a GPU (about all do these days) and add a NVIDIA card does not make it an Optimus system.

This is on the webshop where I bought it: NVIDIA GTX850 / INTEL HD4600 Optimus
There are no GPU related entries in my BIOS.

I’m confused I thought you added a card. Did you add a card to a desktop machine or did you buy a laptop with NVIDIA +Intel???

I bought it like this.
I managed to get the NVIDIA working on Ubuntu (in ubuntu there is an application for additional drivers) but for some reason NVIDIA was used all the time on ubuntu (and I never got CUDA working either)

Not sure you can use bumblebee and CUDA together. But in any case it is a separate package and maybe is not included in the NVIDIA-bumblebee packaging It would need to be the same version and the NVIDIA-bumblebee. It would be called nvidia-computeGO3. But take care it may drag the regular driver in :frowning:

I installed these packages: http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=692d3cc
Still not working. Maybe this helps:

538.937096] [DEBUG]Found card: 01:00.0 (discrete)  538.937104] [DEBUG]Found card: 00:02.0 (integrated)  538.937107] [DEBUG]Reading file: /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
  538.937473] [DEBUG]Process /sbin/modprobe started, PID 22242.
  538.937506] [DEBUG]Hiding stderr for execution of /sbin/modprobe
  538.938383] [DEBUG]SIGCHILD received, but wait failed with No child processes
  538.938392] [DEBUG]Detected nvidia driver (module nvidia)
  538.938526] [DEBUG]succesfully loaded bbswitch
  538.938529] [INFO]Switching method 'bbswitch' is available and will be used.
  538.938531] [DEBUG]Active configuration:
  538.938533] [DEBUG] bumblebeed config file: /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
  538.938535] [DEBUG] X display: :8
  538.938536] [DEBUG] LD_LIBRARY_PATH: /usr/lib64/nvidia:/usr/lib/nvidia
  538.938538] [DEBUG] Socket path: /var/run/bumblebee.socket
  538.938539] [DEBUG] xorg.conf file: /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia
  538.938541] [DEBUG] xorg.conf.d dir: /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d
  538.938543] [DEBUG] ModulePath: /usr/lib64/nvidia/xorg/,/usr/lib64/xorg/modules
  538.938545] [DEBUG] GID name: bumblebee
  538.938546] [DEBUG] Power method: auto
  538.938548] [DEBUG] Stop X on exit: 1
  538.938549] [DEBUG] Driver: nvidia
  538.938551] [DEBUG] Driver module: nvidia
  538.938553] [DEBUG] Card shutdown state: 1
  538.938614] [DEBUG]Process /sbin/modprobe started, PID 22243.
  538.938647] [DEBUG]Hiding stderr for execution of /sbin/modprobe
  538.939417] [DEBUG]SIGCHILD received, but wait failed with No child processes
  538.939425] [DEBUG]Configuration test passed.                                                                                        538.939624] [ERROR]Could not set the GID of bumblebee: Operation not permitted

I configured groups correctly AFAIK

No idea either.

What should be possible is remove nvidia-bumblebee and install the standard nvidia driver without the OpenGL part (i.e. do not install nvidia-glG03).
Then nvidia’s CUDA packages should work and use the nvidia card. But you can’t use the nvidia card for displaying/rendering graphics/applications then of course. Intel’s OpenGL should continue to work though.

But in any case it is a separate package and maybe is not included in the NVIDIA-bumblebee packaging It would need to be the same version and the NVIDIA-bumblebee. It would be called nvidia-computeGO3.

That’s not quite correct.
You mix up CUDA and nvidia-computeG03, they are not the same things.
nvidia-computeG03 should be included in nvidia-bumblebee. It is the CUDA runtime library as I understand it (I never used CUDA myself and do not really know much about it).
But you still need the CUDA compiler and additional stuff to actually use CUDA. There’s an extra repo by nvidia for that, which contains packages named cuda*.

But take care it may drag the regular driver in :frowning:

nvidia-computeG03 does, but it should not be necessary. nvidia-bumblebee should contain the files from that packages.

But again, I have no idea whether you can get CUDA work with bumblebee either, or whether the cuda* packages should work with bumblebee or not.
Sorry.

This cannot work.
You now have both nvidia-bumblebee and the standard nvidia driver installed, and both are different versions of course.

Remove again nvidia-bumblebee and all the other nvidia packages, and install it again one way or the other!

And if you want to use the standard nvidia driver with CUDA, you absolutely need nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-xxx as well. And as mentioned already, do not install nvidia-glG03, this breaks Mesa/intel’s OpenGL.

And I would really suggest you remove either kernel-desktop or kernel-default. This only causes possible confusion IMHO.

Should I also remove the nouveau drivers and bbswitch?
Yast complains about a whole bunch of broken dependencies when removing all those packages (packages like cairo but also gimp which seem to rely on GL libs) is there an easy workaround for this?

No.
There’s no need to remove nouveau and you cannot remove the nouveau kernel module anyway as it is part of the standard kernel package.

bbswitch is totally unrelated to the nvidia driver, it is only needed for bumblebee to be able to switch between the cards.

Yast complains about a whole bunch of broken dependencies when removing all those packages (packages like cairo but also gimp which seem to rely on GL libs) is there an easy workaround for this?

That’s probably because Mesa requires libdrm_nouveau2, so just do not remove that. There’s no need to anyway.

Can I safely remove bbswitch-kpm-default and kernel-default (and kernel-default-devel) ?

Yes. You only need one kernel, as you can only use one kernel at a time anyway.

You probably cannot remove kernel-default-devel though, it might be needed by other packages (kernel-syms in particular). But that are just the include files.

I removed the default kernel (also -devel) without issues. I also removed all nvidia- packages and reinstalled nvidia-bumblebee* I still get the same error: " [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied"

Well, you fixed it before by installing bbswitch-kmp-default, so I would suggest to try re-installing bbswitch-kmp-desktop now.

Also, do you have bumblebee and bbswitch installed now?
And check that bumblebeed is still enabled/active:

systemctl status bumblebeed

I uninstalled and reinstalled bbswitch-kmp-desktop, no difference. I also reinstalled bbswitch-kpm-default, no difference either so I uninstalled *-default again. bumblebeed is active(running) and dkms is also active(exited):

herman@opensuse:~> systemctl status bumblebeedbumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2014-12-03 16:19:34 CET; 1min 34s ago
 Main PID: 2329 (bumblebeed)
   CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service
           └─2329 /usr/sbin/bumblebeed

herman@opensuse:~> systemctl status dkms
dkms.service - Dynamic Kernel Modules System
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dkms.service; enabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Wed 2014-12-03 16:19:34 CET; 2min 18s ago
  Process: 841 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/system/dkms.systemd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 841 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: /system.slice/dkms.service

AFAIK, the only manual configuration update is in /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia, I added this as suggested before:

Section "Screen"    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "DiscreteNvidia"
EndSection

Note that installing bbswitch-kmp-default will bring in the default kernel again l suppose that is how it came in before…

I also removed the default kernel again. I have no idea why nvidia worked before. Not sure what to try next…

What always seems to work is take a deep breath remove any and all packages that have NVIDIA in the package name. remove any active NVIDIA repos.

go to https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

follow the instruction there exactly in the order that they appear.

The problem is probably you are dragging in regular NVIDIA packages. You want only the packages from NVIDIA-bumblebee package nothing else.

Don’t improvise don’t follow any other instructions except those on the page above.

I already tried that (via yast) for all nvidia-* packages. That didn’t work (perhaps I should also delete them from my file-system but I’ve no idea what to delete)
Should I also remove bumblebee and bbswitch (and what about nouveau) ? (I’m not sure if xorg will work without them because after my suse installation it didn’t)