Guardianedge hard drive?

I did a search and didn’t find anything covering how to install to a Guardianedge protected HD either here or in the Kubuntu forum. I assume this is a dumb question and it just isn’t possible, correct? I guess that means I have to boot off a SD or USB stick and make sure OpenSuSE 11.3 doesn’t write anything to the sda…

THANKS!
Patti :slight_smile:

This is encrypted and not an encryption with Linux drivers that I can tell.

It is unclear if just the partitions are encrypted or the whole disk.

If you can resize the partition(s) to allow free space I don’t see why you can not install on it. But their home page seems to be nothing but buzz words and it is difficult to see exactly how they are doing things.:open_mouth:

google this “guardianedge hard disk encryption” and you will find that this drive is an Active Directory FULL DISK Encryption usable under windows only as a data drive. I gather from reading, you can not boot this drive as windows AD must be running to access it and there is no BIOS support directly for AD AFAIK.

Thanks for the info an link - I think I understand now. It looks like it’s the whole drive that’s encrypted, so I’m kind of stuck. It’s a company laptop so there’s not much I can do except boot and run from an external drive.

Bummer eh!

You may be able to boot to a USB key (flashdrive) and run on an external mounting the encrypted but this may also be difficult (the mounting part I mean)

Ya, bummer. <sigh> Technology keeps moving -but I guess that’s a Good Thing. Makes life hard for Open Source, though. :\

I don’t suppose anyone knows of a partitioner that can safely resize Guardianedge whole-drive-encrypted drives? I think it’s OK if I don’t have direct access to the Windows partiton - I usually have a separate data partition, and I can encrypt that separately…
TIA!!!

EDIT: I guess this maybe doesn’t make sense since the whole drive is protected - one would have to somehow get the OS to see a partition as a physical drive to make that work… Sooooo… does anyone know of a really fast, really big SD drive? USB sticks are pretty obtrusive, but maybe USB2 is much faster than SD’s ever will be?

SD drives are pretty fast but there is an inherent problem with SD technology, over time, repeated read write cycles shorten the drives life as more and more logical sector go bad. USB2 externals, while a little cumbersome are a good fit but your bios must support boot from USB_hdd, or USB_sd. Be cautious as some are USB3.0 not USB2.0 and at present some machines can’t use USB3.0. I’m using a ProDrive 320GB, 1TB and 1.5TB. The 1TB & 1.5TB work well in Linux, XP, and Vista but are not recognized for some reason in Windows 7.