grub with a blinking courser

linux is very new to me.

so i have dual booted windows 8 and suse 12.3 using bcdedit. everything was working fine until i applied the updates for suse. Now when i try to boot to suse i get GRUB with a blinking courser.

trouble shooting:
iv tryed the re-install grub2 from rescue disk article but every time i get to the mkconfig part i get /usr/sbin/grub2-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /dev/sba6, so i tryed the symlink /dev/root but it didnt work

so fdisk l

device boot id system
/dev/sba1 * 7 hpfs/ntfs/exfat
/dev/sba2 7 hpfs/ntfs/exfat
/dev/sba3 f W95 ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sba5 82 Linux swap /Solaris
/dev/sba6 83 Linux
/dev/sba7 83 Linux

so i did a parted print

number type file system flags
1 primary ntfs boot, type=07
2 primary ntfs type=07
3 extended lba, type=0f
5 logical linux-swap(v1) type=82
6 logical ext4 type=83
7 logical ext4 type=83

and now im stuck, im thinking /dev/sba6 needs to be bootable, but im not sure how to do it.

No, you didn’t have to reinstall grub.

You needed to reinstall the boot sector file used in the Windows boot manager.

I seem to have trouble connecting to wordpress sites at present, but I think the problem is described here:
Using Windows boot manager and updating

This problem will happen whenever grub is reinstalled. In my opinion, that happens far too often.

If you let Grub control the boot it should be ok at least until Windows wipe the MBR lol

On MBR drive dual booting you need to install generic or Windows MBR code. Then set the boot flag on the partition you want to boot. Install Grub only to the root partition and or the virtual root partition if root is virtual. Do not install Grub to the MBR in fact in this case it is best to leave the MBR as Windows.

Only if grub2 is installed off filesystem blocklist. That is good example of why grub2 will refuse it by default. If grub2 is embedded into post-MBR gap, everything will continue to work.

Downside is, there is only one post-MBR gap, so installing multiple systems becomes even more complicated :frowning:

EDIT: of course using filesystem that supports embedding is another possibility. As of now this is only btrfs (zfs probably does not count here).