grub stops at 1.5 if I add a new sata drive

Hello,

I have a computer with 11.4

I use two drives, one ata/IDE, the other sata. Have also XP and 12.1, but it’s 11.4 grub that boot all.

I want to add a new sata drive. I add it as “sata 1” (the other is “sata 0” - bios vocabulary painted on the mobo)

With the new disk, I can’t boot. I have a grub stage 1.5 error and no menu. Same thing if I exchange the two sata drives (0<>1).

I can choose to boot on IDE/ATA or SATA, but can’t choose the sata drive to boot. I can’t either connect the new drive on sata 2 or 3 (bios error).

I can go in bios, but don’t see any relevant option. The two sata drives are correctly seen

any idea??

thanks
jdd

Hello,

I have a computer with 11.4

I use two drives, one ata/IDE, the other sata. Have also XP and 12.1, but it’s 11.4 grub that boot all.

I want to add a new sata drive. I add it as “sata 1” (the other is “sata 0” - bios vocabulary painted on the mobo)

With the new disk, I can’t boot. I have a grub stage 1.5 error and no menu. Same thing if I exchange the two sata drives (0<>1).

I can choose to boot on IDE/ATA or SATA, but can’t choose the sata drive to boot. I can’t either connect the new drive on sata 2 or 3 (bios error).

I can go in bios, but don’t see any relevant option. The two sata drives are correctly seen

any idea??

thanks
jdd

When you install the new hard drive, you would want to go into your BIOS setup to make sure your IDE drive is still the first boot drive. It would be helpful to get a copy of your /etc/fstab file and your /boot/grub/device.map & /boot/grub/menu.lst files (as root). We could help in making sure they will work with the new SATA drive installed, but your BIOS setup must be looked at by you to make sure the correct IDE drive is the boot drive when the new SATA hard drive is installed.

Thank You,

yes, it is at his place, the second one (I don’t boot on it)

It would be helpful to get a copy of your /etc/fstab file and your /boot/grub/device.map & /boot/grub/menu.lst files (as root). We could help in making sure they will work with the new SATA drive installed, but your BIOS setup must be looked at by you to make sure the correct IDE drive is the boot drive when the new SATA hard drive is installed.

Thank You,

the boot disk is the sata one (the old one)

Well, not that easy, but I have a solution.

1. boot a rescue cd/dvd
  2. mount the boot partition on /mnt
  3. cd /mnt
  4. mount --bind /proc proc & mount --bind /dev dev & mount --bind /sys sys (using TAB, up arrow and editing the command line makes it pretty easy)
  5. chroot . (do not forget the dot)
  6. launch yast, you are now root on your usual distro :slight_smile:
  7. go to edit launch system, ask for a new config

on 11.4, it works without any other change (I think my grub is on the mbr)

On 12.1 it may not, but you can fix it by hand.

At least on my case I could access the grub mini editor after this operation and so boot any install on any disk.

Why was there a problem? (answer)

the first drive was sata drive on SATA 0 slot. The second drive was IDE drive, or at least it’s seen so by the kernel. In my (HP) bios, sata is first (and used as boot disk), IDE second, but I can’t choose the sata order other than changing the wiring inside (and this changed nothing for grub).

When I added the second sata drive on SATA 1 slot, it was seen by the kernel as sdc. knowing how a drive is seen is always tricky before booting.

But grub still want to see the new drive as (hd0,x) and rename the first one (hd2.X).

It’s enough to fix this 0<>2 to have a bootable system. It’s easy to test this from the grub editor is one can go to have it available.

The problem come from the line “root (hdX,Y)” added by yast to grub menu.lst. This line if often a problem and I don’t know what is it’s use…

notice than the 11.4 yast found the solution it self, but not the 12.1 - I had to change 0 by 2 with vi.

On 2011-11-05 10:56, jdd wrote:
> The problem come from the line “root (hdX,Y)” added by yast to grub
> menu.lst. This line if often a problem and I don’t know what is it’s
> use…

That line tells that other following lines, unless they specify a disk,
refer to the disk specified in the root line. It should point to the device
holding the kernel, the boot device.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)