GRUB/partition question

I have just downloaded the openSUSE 11.2 iso and have burned it to a cd.
I ran the program from the cd and really like it.

Now for my question.
I have four partitions on my hard drive:
1 - Windows XP Pro
2 - Ubuntu 9.04 (for my wife)
3 - Ubuntu 9.04 (for me
4 - open (nothing installed yet)

When I install openSUSE, will the grub menu still show all of the options?

Not necessarily. It may pick some of it up. But what it fails to do we can easily add in. It is possible to do that at install but I suspect you might struggle (no offence).

During install look at the Booting Section here:
http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pyf6odWhtNL4ueTEEgQSP0EICMNWfrExIVGEwMXJ6bvGOTBmq2mu8qMTJbzlZhvH2QpqdvfthzxQgNGpt_DpaNg/pic23-MBR%20switch.png
If you click the main Heading ‘Booting’ it will open that section to edit it. The try and follow the instructions in this guide:
GRUB Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista) using the Grub bootloader.
This part:

The Grub configuration screen comes up with the Tab “Section Management” activated. In the lower right is a drop-down selector labelled “Other”. Select from “Other” the option “Propose New Configuration” and then wait for Grub to analyse your partitions and display a new configuration. This may take a while. Important: When that finishes, activate the tab labelled “Boot Loader Installation” and select to “Boot from the Master Boot Record”. [Yast will often default to booting from the root or boot partition rather than from the MBR but that’s for experts only – always choose the MBR.] Then click Finish to save the changes and install the reconfigured Grub into the hard drive’s MBR. If you get a message that "The bootloader boot sector will be written to a floppy disk … don’t bother with the floppy – just click OK to proceed and install to the MBR.
But remember this is not written from an installation perspective but a repair, you just need to follow the general idea.

Or leave it until after, see what works and doesn’t and we can guide you. This will come in then
HowTo Multiboot Ubuntu from openSUSE using the GRUB bootloader

Just out of interest, why have 2 versions of ubuntu? Surely you can save hd space by having just the one with 2 users and no auto-login if you wish to keep things secret.

Thanks for the replies.

caf4926:
I’ll take the suggestion to “just install” and see what happens. :wink:

peteh100:
I know… but I play a lot and at times really foul things up. My wife doesn’t appreciate it when I tell her “I have to install…”.

Hopefully I’ll get another unit soon and also hopefully I won’t foul her system up.lol!

The partitions with operating systems (1, 2, 3) will show in the boot menu, 4 won’t.

I believe the Ubuntu boot entries will fail, probably immediately, but certainly after the next Ubu kernel updates. But as caf4926 said, that’s OK, you just edit Grub’s menu file, /boot/grub/menu.lst as per the tutorial he linked in.