grub no auto update new hard drive

Subject: grub no auto update new hard drive.doc
Date: 07/26/2010 03:48:45 PM

When installed 11.2 on Western Digital VelociRaptor 150 GB hard drive and now installed 300 GB VelociRaptor drive.

Your grub does not update correctly to identity the op systems after the new drive is imaged; you’re kidding right?

Please make this right. I request that you provide the instruction for correcting this; you must have and auto update for grub.

Activation Code:

dc56-8506-5ee4-**

why register on www.open-six.con/register which I did today, so what, that doesn’t work either.

Alan H Robinson Jr

for AIM Computer, San Diego CA, Computer Consultant, PC Software Maintenance, Backups, Anti Virus, Spyware Control, Security, Education, Computer Help.](http://www.aimcmp.com) and A.I.M. Computer

619 464-1816

USA

I’ve read this 3 times and still don’t understand it. Can you explain what you want to do and what is happening that is not correct or post any errors.

You do know this is a user support board for OpenSuse and is not Novell???

grub is auto configured when opensuse 11.2 is installed to identify suse paritions and the xp op system;
these reference include the name of the hard drive … 150 gb ; instead of a proper configuration that would refer to
the op sys partitions by hd(0,1) or hard disk one partition one etc; then this problem of a new drive not having the
same would go away. imaging the new drive grub starts up and can get into xp, but not opensuse because the
opensuse partiton reference contain the drive name of the old drive and ie grub can not start opensuse on the new image;
clearer?

opensuse is a great product, but getting techincal support, that I paid for is almost impossible; Novell is building much disfaction with
their almost lack of support; well it was great when you can finally get them; but I have been unable to registar my paid for box
product and unable to locate the phone number for opensuse techinal support; which at present I need the support I paid for.

I am not going to manually correct grub which of course is one solution; 11.2 should correct the grub configuration
with the system repair tool, but it does not do this yet.

yes, I expect that Novell will read this eventually; until I call their corprerate headquarters tomorrow.

By the way, I have found the OpenSuse 11.2 product better than their other versions, including the paid versions. The lack of product support
durring U.S.A. hours is a management choice. 1-800-796-3700 opt #1 Ireland time, oh boy! Ya let us not hire any Americans!

I think you are terribly confused about SLES and OpenSuse. SLES is the commercial and professionally supported product. OpenSuse is a community supported distribution. There is paid support for the SLES products provided by Novell. There is NO paid for support for OpenSuse which is not Novell but a separate nonprofit organization supported buy Novell. End user support comes only from user volunteers. This is like Readhat and Fedora.

So your complaint is the use of the by-id link to the drives??

You can just edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab files to use the direct device sdX syntax. if you want to. or you can use by-id,by-path or by-uuid which are just links to the sdX devices. BTW these conventions are general Linux conventions agreed to by the wider community. There are advantages and disadvantages to all the device naming methods.

So what do you want fixed?? If you want to discuss the design decision of the Linux community this is really not the form. Try the community section. If you need specific help, please ask a specific question.

Also you do know that Suse is originally German and OpenSuse as an organization is still pretty much based in Germany and there are contributers from around the world?

I prefer if only people that are helpful reply to this post. Please do not place ignorant comments on this post.

For unknowing people OpenSuse 11.2 boxed type comes with 30 days of paid support.

I have well defined the problem. If anyone knew the answer, I am sure a knowing person would post the answer.

On 2010-07-28 03:36, alannsandiego wrote:
>
> I prefer if only people that are helpful reply to this post. Please do
> not place ignorant comments on this post.

We are helpful - if you ask politely and explain clearly what is your problem and respond clearly to
our questions.

> For unknowing people OpenSuse 11.2 boxed type comes with 30 days of
> paid support.

Then I’m afraid that somebody has made a fool of you, because that version is OLD. A fine version,
the one I use, but old, if you paid for it.

> I have well defined the problem. If anyone knew the answer, I am sure a
> knowing person would post the answer.

No, you haven’t. I can’t make head or tails of what you write.

Crystal balls are things of fiction, you know, so I haven’t got one to figure out what you try
(badly) to describe as your problem.

So, can you please write carefully what steps, one by one, you are doing, what messages you get, and
what do you want to do? If you are following a document, please provide a link to it.

And please read what you write, or better, ask a colleague to read it, before posting. We are
volunteers here, in our free time. Not paid professionals to do support, we have no obligation.

Else… wait for that install support you say you paid for - not technical support, by the way. Just
install support for the typical problems on a typical install. Read the fine print.

And that support is not in any of these forums. It is not us.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

You know, I think I’ll respond to this here, even though we have more official ways.
As you can see from my signature, I am an open-SLX employee. I am in Arizona. I log in to the phones Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm EST. Actually, I usually log in early and log out late.

openSUSE usually does correct GRUB automatically, but not always. It makes a best guess. If that “best guess” is the same as what is already there, then you will need to manually intervene. I recommend this; GRUB - openSUSE

A.I.M. Computer

Phone: (619) 464 – 1816 28 July 2010,

CEO, Novell
122 East 1700 South
Provo, Utah 84606
Tech Support: 1-800-858-4000 (US); 1-800-529-3400 ?
Fax: 781-464-8100
Phone: 1-800-453-1267

Dear CEO of Novell,

I have a Retail box, with paid installation support, but I have been unable to register my

product and unable to get the promised support, what is the best way to proceed and solve this
problem. I insist that Novell honor your contract with me and provide the required support as
agreed when I bought your product. Please register my product at once, on this web site:
https://secure-www.novell.com/center/regadmin/jsps/home_app.jsp , provided support, and open a new service request, now.

I have your OpenSuse 11.2 installed on a dual boot system and after imaging the disk to

the new disk below, OpenSuse will not boot, because the ftab entries are wrong and grub
partition references are also wrong.

Alan H. Robinson Jr.

for A.I.M. Computer
  AIM Computer, San Diego CA, Computer Consultant, PC Software Maintenance, Backups, Anti Virus, Spyware Control, Security, Education, Computer Help.](http://www.aimcmp.com) 
 619-464-1816

===============================================
When installed 11.2 on Western Digital VelociRaptor 150 GB hard drive and now installed 300 GB VelociRaptor drive.
Your grub does not update correctly to identity the op systems after the new drive is imaged; you’re kidding right?
Please make this right. I request that you provide the instruction for correcting this; you must have and auto update for grub.
Activation Code:
dc56-8506-5ee4-**
why register on www.open-six.con/register which I did today, so what, that doesn’t work either.
Alan H Robinson Jr
for AIM Computer, San Diego CA, Computer Consultant, PC Software Maintenance, Backups, Anti Virus, Spyware Control, Security, Education, Computer Help.](http://www.aimcmp.com) and A.I.M. Computer
619 464-1816 USA
Sincerely,

Alan H. Robinson, Jr 

Manager, Chief Systems Programmer

Please answer ‘yes’ to the return receipt, — or reply with: ok I got it, Thanks.
Email: 2008.alan.h.robinson.jr@cox.net --------- AIM Computer, San Diego CA, Computer Consultant, PC Software Maintenance, Backups, Anti Virus, Spyware Control, Security, Education, Computer Help.](http://www.aimcmp.com)
Phone: (619) 464 – 1816; PO Box 84498, San Diego, CA 92138

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information protected from disclosure by applicable laws and regulations. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, disclose or distribute this message or any of the information contained in this message to anyone. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. Unintended transmission shall not constitute waiver of any applicable legal protection afforded to this e-mail and any attached documents.

Re: grub no auto update new hard drive
grub is auto configured when opensuse 11.2 is installed to identify suse partitions and the xp op system; these references include the name of the hard drive … 150 gb ; instead of a proper configuration that would refer to the op sys partitions by hd(0,1) or hard disk one partition one etc; then this problem of a new drive not having the same would go away. imaging the new drive grub starts up and can get into xp, but not opensuse because the opensuse partition reference contain the drive name of the old drive and i.e. grub can not start opensuse on the new image; clearer?

opensuse is a great product, but getting technical support, that I paid for is almost impossible; Novell is building much dissatisfaction with
their almost lack of support; well it was great when you can finally get them; but I have been unable to register my paid for box
product and unable to locate the phone number for opensuse technical support; which at present I need the support I paid for.

I am not going to manually correct grub which of course is one solution; 11.2 should correct the grub configuration
with the system repair tool, but it does not do this yet.

This repair require much more than just fixing Grub; also ftab is wrong.

If you bought your 11.2 or 11.3 boxed set from openSUSE suse marble ubuntu “linux distribution” “open-slx” then you need to register your boxed set here start Open-SLX
The support numbers and times are found here support Open-SLX

Please note:

open-slx and Novell© signed an agreement about the production and distribution of openSUSE. open-slx is the „authorized Distributor of openSUSE Software“ and takes over the openSUSE Box and the support offering included with openSUSE. The Box itself will be continued in tradition of openSUSE and will keep the name openSUSE.

cool, fax a letter see! what result you can get; also is other post same subject; with picture of the support agreement.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Can you be more polite? and… if you know how to solve it, why are you
posting here? do you want us to explain key for key what to do?

VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
Stops working when you open a window.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkxQfaAACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVm3PgCgwPR2DfFI+Klrv/jB0ElU6reR
G58An2hTYwRyvG5EIfvTIrf8gVfeLgC3
=jInR
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Plenty of people that are rude on this forum? and apparently with too much free time and nothing important to do?
find something else to do … hey maybe try reading the post?

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:36:01 +0000, alannsandiego wrote:

> Plenty of people that are rude on this forum? and apparently with too
> much free time and nothing important to do? find something else to do
> … hey maybe try reading the post?

There was nothing rude about Jonathan’s reply - it was informational and
intended to direct you to the proper place to get your paid-for support.

Please stop engaging in personal attacks against people who are trying to
assist you and stay on topic.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 2010-07-28 19:06, alannsandiego wrote:

> Dear CEO of Novell,

They don’t read here.

> Alan H. Robinson Jr.
>
> for A.I.M. Computer
> ’ AIM Computer, San Diego CA, Computer Consultant, PC Software
> Maintenance, Backups, Anti Virus, Spyware Control, Security, Education,
> Computer Help.’ (http://www.aimcmp.com)
> 619-464-1816

> Alan H. Robinson, Jr
>
> Manager, Chief Systems Programmer

Ha! Remind me never to shop there.

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
> is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
> information protected from disclosure by applicable laws and

Ha! You published this all over internet.

> I am not going to manually correct grub which of course is one
> solution; 11.2 should correct the grub configuration
> with the system repair tool, but it does not do this yet.

Good luck! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2010-07-28 21:36, alannsandiego wrote:
>
> Plenty of people that are rude on this forum? and apparently with too
> much free time and nothing important to do?
> find something else to do … hey maybe try reading the post?

It is you who are rude to us. Go away, please.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I have been working many hours on this so if it is a little unclear or I leave a step out you can email me.

Here is my proposed solution, hope this might help some one else with a system like mine.

I request that in the future that OpenSuse add a feature enhancement to solve this problem with the system repair tool, please.

I have a Dual boot system: Windows XP and OpenSuse 11.2 both working fine.
I bought a new 300 GB hard drive to replace the 150 GB hard drive.

When I imaged the OP Systems to the new 300 GB drive XP started, but OpenSuse would not start because the Grub references and Fstab reference refer to the old 150 GB drive.

Since I do no use Unix on a daily basis I did this:

I imaged the old drive with Acronis True Image 2010

I restore XP and increase the partition size from 50 to 120 GBs.
I made a new partition to backup to subtracting 300-120-size of SUSE partition- 1GB to be careful. These first two partitions are primary partitions.

Restoring this way Grub is lost, which is fine since it wouldn’t start SUSE anyways.

I made an extended partition to place SUSE into.

I imaged the old SUSE onto the new drive one partition at a time,
2.01 GB swap, 20GB root, 67 GB home.

Now the Drive is like this:

120 GB XP; 68.7 backup blank; 2.01 swap; 20 root; 67 home;
but the system one boots to XP so far.

Using my OpenSuse 11.2 DVD I did a new install on the new drive and the partitions above. This installs Grub, mounts swap and home (so all the data on swap and home is saved, well no data on swap really, Hun?) and formats root.

After the new install, I corrected the Menu on Grub, now re-installed.

I copied the four files

/etc/fstab
/etc/grub.conf
/boot/grub/device.map
/boot/grub/menu.lst

first renaming them with an extension .new and after copying them change them back; even though finally to image over the 20 GB directory to finish.

so that I can copy them to the old SUSE on the old 150 GB drive.

I rename each of the files above on the old drive with the extension .old_newest
I rename the copied files removing the .new extension, giving them their original names giving the 150 GB drive the correct reference for the new 300GB drive.

I imaged the old 150 GB drive with the corrected files for the new 300 drive.

This image is finished now.

I plan to image the formatted root partition on the 300 GB drive with the old root partition with the correct files; I hope that when I unplug the old 150 GB drive the new 300 GB drive should now work with both XP and SUSE without having to manually re-write these files in single user mode, etc.

I am going to check my solution now and see if it works, let you know for sure.

I just going to ignore all the chatter on my post,

This is a cool solution if it works, let you know in a few.

If you can do this manually more power to you, but hopefully Novell shall
provide a feature update to detect new hardware better in the future.

This is an important article

SDB:All about GRUB - openSUSE

More about Grub installation - advanced users

This section also provides guidance that might be useful if grub does not boot properly.

We have already explained that in this example Grub had been placed in hda3 and the installer switched the boot flag over from hda2 to hda3. Which means, when the computer boots the first part it looks to is hda3 and as a consequence the Grub menu appears. Now, just to illustrate the advantage of Grub being installed this way, let me explain: Just for experiments sake – Or if you need to repair Grub: If you were to boot Parted Magic and change the boot flag back to hda2, when you reboot the machine Windows will boot, there will be no Grub Menu. Linux is still installed of course and you will be able to see the partitions in the Computer Management section of Windows. Switch the flag back to hda3 and either Grub Menu appears as before with the option to boot openSUSE or Windows. Or you need to repair grub like this:

If you have a Linux Live CD, boot from it and log in. Then open a console window and enter su and you will be at the command prompt with root powers and ready to proceed. If on the other hand you have the openSUSE install DVD, boot from it and on the first menu of options select the Rescue System option. That will start an elementary Linux Live operating system and bring you to the login prompt. Enter the username root and you will be at the command prompt with root powers and ready to proceed. Whichever way you started (the openSUSE install DVD or a Linux Live CD) when you are at the root command prompt, first you find the partition containing openSUSE’s bootloader. Then you reinstall Grub with a pointer to that partition. First find the openSUSE installation:

You enter this ---------------- grub

Computer returns like this ---- grub>

You enter this ---------------- find /boot/grub/menu.lst

Computer returns like this ---- (hd0,5)

Here, (hd0,5) is Grub’s pointer to my openSUSE installation. Your pointer will be different from my example (hd0,5). Substitute your values for my example (hd0,5). Now that you have the pointer, proceed like this:

You enter this ---------------- root (hd0,5)

Computer returns like this ---- Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

You enter this ---------------- setup (hd0)

You see several lines like this — Checking if /boot/grub/stage1 exists … yes Computer finally returns this-- Succeeded…Done

You enter this ---------------- quit

You enter this ---------------- reboot

The computer should reboot and present you with the Grub boot menu, from which you can boot into openSUSE or Windows.