GRUB issue after SUSE 11.2 install

I am trying to set up a dual boot system on an Acer One netbook with 2gb ram.
The non-linuz OS is XP Pro, and I’ve spent a lot of time setting up the XP so I’m hoping I won’t have to wipe it clean.

Summary:
Probelms occured during SUSE installation leaving the computer without a recognized OS to boot from. I ran the system recovery from the SUSE install disk which seemed to fix the SUSE problems.
Now SUSE seems to work fine but GRUB offers no Win XP boot option.

These are the detailed steps I’ve taken to install/fix SUSE:

1. Boot into windows.

2. Insert the SUSE 11.2 install disk, follow instructions and let the sys reboot into the SUSE install program from the DVD.

3. SUSE seemed to install correctly except I didn’t have internet access so it couldn’t automatically update itself.

4. Reboot

5. Screen shows “No operating system found”
    6… I reboot using the SUSE install disk. I choose “System recovery”.

System recovery found a number of package problems, along with GRUB problems and seemed to fix them all.

1. I remove the install disk and reboot the system.
  2. GRUB starts and offers Suse normal or Suse safe mode. No Windows option.
  3. SUSE seems to work fine.
  4. I can go to the file manager in SUSE and surf through the NTFS windows partition. It seems intact.

How can I create an XP boot option in GRUB?

Thanks in advance.

It is possible to edit your Grub Menu file and add back in a menu item to run Windows. I do not know for sure which partition your Windows is installed in. Normally it will be the first, but on my Dell Laptop computer, it was the second. Oddly, the first partition was a Windows restore partition that when run would eliminate SuSE from booting. So, you could edit and add one of the following menu options to menu.lst. To edit your Grub menu enter the Run Command:

kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst (must enter root user password)

A suggested entry for Windows would be:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 1###
title Windows XP Professional
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

Now if your laptop had a restore partition first, you might need to use the following code:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows  1###
title Windows XP Professional
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

There is not much difference, but one works and the other does not work. You can run the Yast Partitioner, looking for the NTFS partition which may be called /sda1 (same as HD0,0 in grub) or /sda2 (same as HD0,1 in grub). There is a whole lot more to it, but this can get you looking in the right direction.

Thank You,

Easy option is to boot from repair section of suse disk and get in custom mode, choose bootloader configuration and add windows xp entry, save and restart.

Thank you very much jdmcdaniel3 and Avenue Max.

I think either one of your suggestions would have been easier than the solution I ended up doing. I booted to an F-disk type partition utility, restored my windows MBR and deleted all the Linux partitions, then reinstalled 11.2.

I’m still very much a learner in SUSE and I’ll remember both your solutions if I happen to be in the same situation again.
Thank you.

SteveFury61, there was nothing wrong with your solution. You maintained your Windows system and repaired your Windows partition while reinstalling openSUSE, where you had less time invested. That was a wise decision when you consider your experience level. I really did the same kind of thing early on until I began to understand just how Linux was installing on my computer. Now I also decided to find a very good Windows backup program, which I decided to use Norton Ghost, to make sure I could get Windows back, just in case.

What you want to read up on I think is the many types of partitions Linux can support, which ones work with Windows, just how many partitions can you have on a disk, how does logical partitions fit into the mix and so forth. You need to understand about booting an operating system from a partition, what does the MBR do, what is an active partition and how does the Grub Operating System Selector work?

Read up on these subject while learning how to use openSUSE. In fact, you should use Firefox to find the answers, save your many examples, figure out how to deal with the many text, document and PDF files while in Linux. It is very good to have some purpose while using Linux as you will find you learn even more about how all of this stuff works together. Come back any time and ask for help if you should get stumped with a subject and never forget to have fun while you are learning.

Thank You,

Mate, you will always find better fixes thru Linux or Unix. Windows are the only orphans in this world.