grub is going crazy

Hi all

I need strongly help because I can’t turn on my PC and write jet from my neighbors notebook.

Because of problems with Windows updates und ubuntu vpn I installed today Windows 7 again and then openSuse. It was OK. Than I began with set up of different Programms for windows, like WinRar, Avira Antivir ect…

As soos as it was done I wanted to begin with set up of openSuse…

But the start menu is gone - there is nothing there now!

Last time I could choose betwee 2 windows partitions, openSuse start-partition and openSuse fall-Save. -Now there is only “grub>” line

And I doesn’t have any idea what I can do, I doesnt know where are startfiles, where is /boot/grub order, I don’t know how can grub be used also.

But I know that if I try to register my windows 7 agan at the same day, my windows lizens would get invalid.

Has someone any idee what can be done?

p.s. I hope you can understand my thread - yes, english is not my native language

You can edit a few lines into the bootloader menu. The windows bootloader files lie in the first or the second partition (depending which choices you made when installing windows). I can give you an exact recipe if you answer a few questions:

1. please open a console window and run this command then use copy/paste to return the result back here:
sudo /sbin/fdisk -l
  1. are you using KDE or Gnome desktop environment

PS welcome to the forums

I can’t start anything. In the first second is coming the line “grub>” and it is.
The commands are
chainloader, root, cat and some other - maximal 20 at order

I’m not able to start windows, not linux - nothing

ANd I use KDE desktop

Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic - openSUSE Forums

nice, I can start windows now :slight_smile:

But openSuse still doesnt work.

I tryed all things like in the description

grub>find /boot/grub/menu.lst
terminal: hd0,4
grub>root (hd0,4)
Terminal: Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
grub>setup (hd0)
Terminal: bla bla - 4 times "OK"
grub>reboot

All things ware as in the description, but as I tryed to start Suse or Suse fallsave it wasn’t possible ( something like “not foung bla bla” )

Do you have some ideas how I can start suse again?

thx

I suggest to booot into openSUSE using this technique: Boot the installed system from the Installation DVD and then reinstall trhe Grub loader using this technique: Installing a brand new bootloader once you’ve booted into openSUSE

In fact the whole article is worth a read by others coming here with similar problems: HowTo Boot into openSUSE when it won’t Boot from the Grub Code on the Hard Drive

All things ware as in the description, but as I tryed to start Suse or Suse fallsave it wasn’t possible ( something like “not foung bla bla” )

Not very descriptive (bla bla)
If I were to guess, I would say the kernel is either borked or the menu is.

Following @swerdna’s advice above seems prudent.