Grub fails after Update

Hi Folks,

I did three attempts to apply the latest update to my openSuSE 12.3 Desktop.
Every time the system does not boot anymore. It just says “grub” and nothing happens.

Current Kernel: 3.7.10-1.4.1
New Kernel: 3.7.10-1.11.1

It seems, the update destroys Grub.
I tried to safe /etc/grub.d and reapply it after the update via life cd. But didn’t work.

Any idea how to solve this?

Regards

Karsten

You using legacy grub or grub2??

It’s Grub2. Since openSuSE 12.3

How are you booting?

I see this occuring on a system where booting is done via an entry in the Windows boot manager. I don’t see it happening when the system is setup so that the grub menu is the first to show up.

If you are using Windows boot manager, then to set that up you had to create a small boot-sector file. You will have to repeat that step. If you are not using Windows boot manager, then I’ll await clarification on how you are booting.

The System only hosts the one OS. No other OS.
I can reapply the Clonezilla Image and everything works fine again.

System Disk is /dev/sda. Pretty common and simple installation.

Meanwhile I fixed the problem and did the update.

First I did the update. Second I fixed Grub according to this tutorial: openSUSE 12.2 Grub2 Bootloader wiederherstellen

I did it already after a system disk replacement. I was hoping it is done, once it’s done. But it seems that’s not the fact :frowning:

Regards,

Karsten

that is a bit odd
running

su -
zypper update

should not kill grub

there might be a kernel update ,but unless you edited the /etc/grub.d files and or /etc/default/grub.cnf
the auto scripts should auto run all the needed programs to update the boot lines in the /boot/grub2/grub.cnf

now if you are using the NVIDIA*.run
** then YOU WILL have problems !!! **

If that then boot into “text only” and rebuild the nvidia.run driver