Grub Error 25 during installation

caf4926, I could install, for example, Kubuntu, without any problems, but can’t install OpenSuse. Both use grub2. Kubuntu install bootloader, but OpenSuse can’t. I think it’s a bug in installer. I think newbie user who want to try Linux shouldn’t know about partitions, fdisk, grub… just insert disk and install.

openSUSE uses Grub Legacy
Don’t install a bootloader with SUSE
Then do as I said and K/Ubuntu will pick up the kernel to load SUSE

On 2011-11-23 11:16, Neraverin wrote:
>
> caf4926, I could install, for example, Kubuntu, without any problems,
> but can’t install OpenSuse. Both use grub2.

No. openSUSE uses grub 1.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Hi,
I experience the same problem as the original poster, i.e. Windows 7 plus SUSE 12.1 X64. After the SUSE new installation, computer cannot go to either Windows 7 or SUSE, even after I used GParted to flag Windows bootable. I used Windows 7 System DVD to active Windows then. Now only Windows 7 can run. The MBR was damaged, right?

The hard disk is 2TB while Windows 7 uses about 1.3TB for system and 500MB for data. The rest 200MB for SUSE. I do not understand how to place the bootloader. In my hard disk, it seems impossible to place the bootloader within 128GB.

Thanks,

Grub can seem complicated.

You should install SUSE with boot from / (root)
Set the boot flag on the root
Write to MBR

(Yes it sounds like the MBR was damaged) Easy enough to repair.

On 2011-11-23 16:36, freerjw wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I experience the same problem as the original poster,

No, you are not. You are not getting error 25 or you would say so. That’s
an specific error.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

caf4926, I’ve done everything as you say and it boots fine now. thanks.

My original problem I believe is something different I am specifically getting error 25, the 128 gb limit is error 18. I’ve checked my drive and used different pc’s to burn the dvd and still the read error. As to the other problems with the graphics , how do I confirm the video card problems one way or another. thanks

Please start a new thread about video
If you post the result of
/sbin/lspci -nnk

That will help

On 2011-11-24 10:56, quietthought wrote:
>
> My original problem I believe is something different I am specifically
> getting error 25, the 128 gb limit is error 18. I’ve checked my drive
> and used different pc’s to burn the dvd and still the read error. As to
> the other problems with the graphics , how do I confirm the video card
> problems one way or another. thanks

I don’t understand. How can you have problem with graphics and at the same
time not being able to boot with errors?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Hi,
Sorry, I did not say more about the error. When install 12.1 X64, at about 93%, the installation prompted Read error 25. The above non bootable is the after effect. I do not have a successful installation. The hard disk has swap(2 GB), / (root 20 GB) and /home (150 GB). I also enabled MBR and root options at the installation summary. One SUSE link says that put MBR to the prior hard disk cylinders, but it did not help. Still Read error, failed at installation.

Another curious thing on hard disk. In Windows 7 disk manager, it shows all three logic drive in SUSE as primary. It also shows the three drives in Windows 7 as primary, plus System attribute etc. In GParted, Linux drives are shown as ext4 although.

Anyone can help me? Thanks.

I suggest you post for us your partition info
GParted or Parted Magic should be able to get that with

fdisk -l

fdisk -l shows:

Device Boot Id System

/dev/sda1 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda4 * f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sda5 82 Linux Swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 83 Linux

I omit the cylinder number etc. Hope it does not affect the diaganosis. One curious thing in Windows 7, it shows all Linux 3 logic drives as primary, besides three Windows drives as primary, System, etc.

Thanks

More info on my computer:

The hard disk is a Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 ATA 2 TB type. CPU: AMD A8-3850.

Thanks,

One question on GParted. When I run: fdisk -l in the terminal, it echos nothing. When I enter: fisk, it displays help contents. What is wrong with me?
How can I get that info from GParted?

The following fisk -l contents are from 12.1 rescure session.

Thanks,

The first hard section is 100 MB, whose volume is System. The Windows 7 can boot only after labeled this drive as boot with GParted.

The second hard drive is 1.3 TB, whose volume is OS. The windows 7 cannot boot if flagged as boot with GParted. The screen shows: BOOTMGR is missing. Press Alt+Ctrl+Del to reboot.

Hope this helps diaganosis. Thanks,

Sorry, I have to add more info here. The first hard disk 100 MB seems to be System storage for I cannot see it in Windows 7. The 1.3 TB is seen as Drive C. It now cannot boot from C directly. Only the first 100 MB labeled as boot can go into Windows 7. This tells me what ? Thanks.

fdisk -l

that’s a lower case L

The 100MB is windows boot partition
1.3TB is win7 system
sda3 is probably recovery

How much space is there in the extended (that includes sda5,6,7)

Am 24.11.2011 17:36, schrieb caf4926:
>
> fdisk -l
>
> that’s a lower case L
>
>
and need to be run as root otherwise it also returns nothing.

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.3 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram