GRUB 2 for opensuse 11.2?

hello

i love crazy opensuse 11.1, i will wait for install 11.2 but i ask you grub 2 is new version but it’s will on opensuse 11.2?
what is different from grub 1 to grub 2?

thanks you…

I can’t answer re: the differences other than to quote the grub web page which states:

GRUB 2 is the next generation of GNU GRUB. GRUB 2 is a complete rewrite and is at a developmental phase. The most important goal is to make GNU GRUB cleaner, safer, more robust, more portable and more powerful.
I think the key words are “at a development phase”. Would you want development software in the key position of managing the boot of your PC ?

I note the grub web page here: GNU GRUB - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

My guess based on the version numbering is openSUSE will be getting the old legacy “version 1” although it is not called that any more.

I note openSUSE-11.1 in the OSS repos for 32-bit has this: grub-0.97-156.3.i586.rpm

I note factory (for 11.2) has this for 32-bit: grub-0.97-161.2.i586.rpm

and from the Grub web page: GNU GRUB - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Currently under development, GRUB 2, has replaced what was formerly known as GRUB (i.e. version 0.9x), which has, in turn, become GRUB Legacy.

GRUB 2 aims at merging sources from PUPA in order to create the next generation of GNU GRUB. A mailing list and a wiki have been setup for discussing the development of GRUB 2.

Hence grub 0.9x is GRUB 1 and 1.9.x is GRUB 2. At least that is my interpretation.

My guess based on the version numbering is openSUSE will be getting the old legacy “version 1” although it is not called that any more.

My understanding is that 11.2 will come with ext4 as default FS but plain vanilla grub 0.9x does not support booting from it. So I guess that a patched version will be used.

Anyone out there knowing the details?

I dont know any details other than “it works” on my sandbox PC with EXT4 running from openSUSE-11.2 RC1.

Thanks. That’s good to know. I will try it once the official release is out (I mean to select ext4 without any need for a separate /boot partition formatted with ext3). In fact I expected that a new openSUSE release would be able to boot from it’s default file system rotfl!

I was just wondering how they did it.