Graphics

Hi!

I’m new to the forums. I’ve been running openSUSE 64 bit for about an year. I have a few questions about graphics since I’m a student in graphics design and I’m wondering is it possible to use open source for professional work?

So far I’ve been playing with Blender and it’s absolutely wonderful application.

In 2D applications, however, I’m not sure witch software to pick. Can you give me advice about witch application is good for what and about pen-tablet support - I’m looking for a beginner’s tablet (of course working with openSUSE).

Thanks!

If you install wine you can run Photoshop cs2 have a read here The Gimp is ok but maybe not as good as PS Xaraxtreme is good IMHO but the site is down at the mo :frowning:

/Geoff

> is it possible to use open source for
> professional work?

is that a legal or a technical question? well, you may legally use open
software to earn money, professionally. and, there are open source
applications which meet or exceed the technical quality and capability
of commercial software…so, in either case you are good to go.

> So far I’ve been playing with Blender and it’s absolutely wonderful
> application.

check around, you will find that most of hollyweird runs some flavor of
open source based software

> In 2D applications, however, I’m not sure witch software to pick. Can
> you give me advice about witch application is good for what

imo GIMP is the cat’s meow in working with photos, and getting better
and better…i do not agree with the other poster’s recommendation for
any flavor of PhotoShop…well, that said i must admit that i have
purchased NO PhotoShop (or any other software) to run in WINE…

for vector graphics, give Inkscape a try…

there is a LOT to learn in either program…be patient…seek free
tutorials on the net (there are thousands of pages and hints)…

> and about
> pen-tablet support - I’m looking for a beginner’s tablet (of course
> working with openSUSE).

many use Wacom, but i don’t know which models work great (or not)…use
the web forum search facility to seek ‘wacom’ and you will find many
threads to help you decide!!

have fun…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
A Texan in Denmark

Thanks for your replies!

So, I’ll check for users’ feedback on the wacom tablets and how they work with these applications.

Hi Puzzeled Penguin, I’m cactusmith,
I’ve been running suse 10.3 and gimp for 3/4 of a year. The version that loaded via YAST is unstable. Photoshop is not open source or free, maybe the WINE program is. WINE windows on linux converter program? Yast= Yet Another Sofware Tool= way beter than Red Hat’s Package Manager = RPM for loading packages…Photoshop is the Adobe program that costs. The consumer, beginer, watered down version does not have smart sissors, which I think would be seeential. Full version from Adobe costs near $500, even with student discount.
Back to Gimp = Gnu Image Processing, free downloadable but I’ve had problems running suse 10.3 on cheapo ACER laptop from Walmart. I have an old version of Photoshop on a homebuilt desktop that works well and reliably. If I had access to real upto date photoshop on public or say school computers, I’d be satisfied with the GIMP on laptop. Learn how to save files for web presentation. I’m just muddeleing through clicking on the suggetions that GIMP puts up “export before saving,” et c. Something to do with layers, gif yes, jepeg no?

Professional physicists use transfig & xfig (installable by yast for openSUSE 10.3) to draw all their figures and graphs.
The output files are .eps, .pdf, .ps and maybe .jpg.

GIMP will do anything PS can do as far as manipulating graphics, the difference between the 2 is in printing Gimp does not support the plug-ins PS uses to calibrate printing colors.