Graphics suddenly slow/non-existent after dist-upgrade. Tried troubleshooting without success

I recently upgraded my Tumbleweed desktop after I had been away for about a month (via dist-upgrade). I admit: there were ~800 packages to install, so I didn’t really look closely at all of them.

After rebooting, SDDM starts fine, but when trying to log in on Gnome (Wayland), even though the password is typed correctly. Plasma (Wayland) does start, but it’s so slow that it’s unusable (i.e. there is a 3-5 second delay for every input).

All of the X-based Desktop Environments I have show the same behavior as Plasma. This is even true if I systemctl stop disable sddm, then startx from a tty.

Troubleshooting that I’ve done so far:

My GPU is an AMD Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800 XT], and I was using the proprietary driver (which acts up sometimes). So I disabled the amdgpu-proprietary repository, and enabled the amdgpu repository, then refresh and updated (and messed around with enable/disabling repos in various orders). Now I have a strange problem:

• If the amdgpu repo is enabled (and the amdgpu-proprietary is disabled), the amdgpu driver metapackage will not install. It says:
Problem: nothing provides 'X11_ABI_VIDEODRV = 24.0'  needed by the to be installed xorg-x11-amdgpu-drv-amdgpu-1:22.0.0.50200-1438746.x86_64

Solution 1:  do not install amdgpu-22.20.50200-1438746.x86_64 
Solution 2: break xorg-amd-drv-amdgpu-1:22.0.0.50200-1438746.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Additionally, there are 45 package updates that zypper will not install (I assume because I already have a higher version).

• However, if the proprietary repo is enabled (and amdgpu is disabled), then if I try to install amdgpu-pro, I get the message:
Problem: nothing provides 'amdgpu' needed by the to be installed amdgpu-pro-22.20-1438746.x86_64
  • If both the proprietary and free repos are enabled, I have the same problem as if only the free repo is enabled (i.e. it complains that nothing provides ‘X11_ABI_VIDEODRV = 24.0’).

I’m not actually even sure that the problem is my graphics card. But it was the first thing I thought of, and the fact that I have a package conflict after a dist-upgrade is making me incredibly suspicious.

(If it matters, there was also a versioning problem when trying to install the package libwayland-amdgpu-client. It complained that nothing provided the package ‘libffi.so.7()(64-bit)’.

I looked through some of the forum posts here and found this post saying that there was a versioning problem with some packages and libffi. It didn’t seem terribly relevant to my issue, but I’m including it in case there’s something I don’t know.)

I would appreciate any advice you could give in helping me figure this out.

Realized I mistyped part of this. It should say:

After rebooting, SDDM starts fine, but when trying to log in on Gnome (Wayland), even though the password is typed correctly the screen goes black for a moment and then goes back to the login page

Update: my GPU now works, but I have no idea how or why, and I’m not inclined to mess with the repos again. All I know is that after some fiddling with package dependencies and multiple reboots, I eventually got it fixed.

In case this helps anyone in the future: in the end, both the proprietary and free repos are enabled, along with the rocm repo. The amdgpu metapackage is not installed, but amdgpu-core, amdgpu-dkms, amdgpu-dkms-firmware, kernel-firmware-amdgpu, vulkan-amdgpu, and xf86-video-amdgpu are all installed.

Note that amdgpu-pro and amdgpu-pro-core are not installed.