graphic problem

I just installed opensuse on my laptop, and when I go to right click on desktop
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1654/spaoo.jpg

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --gfxcard

output of this command

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3692/wtlhr.jpg

…extension…

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/227/5iodj.jpg

i dont’ have internet on laptop yet, so i can’t upload ss.

So andrija1709 I would try adding in the kernel load command nomodeset to see if that might help. When you boot your computer, you start in the grub boot loader menu.lst Operating System selector menu. Just before you press the enter key to start the normal load of openSUSE (not failsafe), you can type in the kernel load option** nomodeset **and then press the enter key. It would be helpful to know how that might work for you. The video driver is built into the kernel and it is also possible to upgrade just the kernel to a newer version, but the nomodeset command might be helpful right now.

Thank You,

I would assume that all modern laptops now use these Intel Core Processor Graphics + onboard Nvidia or ATI. So Linux sees 2 graphics cards and loads 2 graphics drivers. I don’t have laptops and cannot help on such issues, but I would suggest we sort the problems and put the solutions in a HowTo about hybrid graphics.

Work fine with nomodeset. So in yast>system>boot loader
optional kernel command line parameter:
At the end of the command i have added nomodeset. Now opensuse always starts with that command.

One more question. I have installed for Windows all necessary drivers. So I don’t need to search drivers for linux? (wireless doesn’t working)

With both nouveau and i915 drivers active, you may burn through battery pretty quick.

Since this appears to be a hybrid graphics fitted laptop with two graphic devices ? (intel and nVidia) the if so, you could try bumblebee for GNU/Linux. I ran across this post: Bumblebee brings nvidia optimus GPU switching to Linux users | OMG! Ubuntu!

There is more detail here: Linux Hybrid Graphics: Testers needed: intel/nvidia: bumblebee now with 32bit and 64bit support

Where in turn for openSUSE-11.4 someone has packaged this: software.opensuse.org: Search Results and I quote:

Bumblebee is Optimus support for Linux, with real offloading, and not switchable graphics… More important… it works on Optimus Laptops without a graphical multiplexer…

Also, an openSUSE forum user wrote this on how to use bumblewee with openSUSE
Getting maximum battery time from an ASUS eeePC 1015pn

Now they wrote that for asus, but I think it generic to be applicable to other brand names.

Work fine with nomodeset. So in yast>system>boot loader
optional kernel command line parameter:
At the end of the command i have added nomodeset. Now opensuse always starts with that command.

One more question. I have installed for Windows all necessary drivers. So I don’t need to search drivers for linux? (wireless doesn’t working)

No, drivers are normally built-in to the Linux kernel. There are exceptions, but it is true for almost all things. The most common exceptions might be for the video driver as I install the Proprietary nVIDIA video driver for my GTX 560 video card. Further, many people find that their wireless adapter does not work and sometime a driver can be loaded externally for it as well. Of course, for anything that does not work with the standard installation is when you start to look for such add ins if they should exist. It is also possible to upgrade the kernel version for 2.6.37 you have way up to 3.0 if it was known that a driver existed in that kernel that you could use.

I see that oldcpu has also posted a good message you will want to read through as well.

Thank You,

thanks oldcpu for advice
i will install that bumblebee… and that is only for linux? Does windows 7 have similar problem?

Windows7 needs to do something and likely has SIGNIFICANT support from the hardware manufacturers which GNU/Linux does not. I don’t have any such device so I can’t provide any more suggestions here. We are in need for an openSUSE user to provide a comprehensive guide.