Gnome problems after switching from KDE 4.1

I have openSUSE 11.1 and I was running KDE4.1 for a few months. I was having some little problems once in a way, and then I decided to switch to gnome. I logged out, and on the screen I choose gnome.
The problem is that many things do not work. For example, the volume control on the task bar does not show, and when I try to add it it creates the following error:

"Volume Control" has quit unexpectedly
If you reload a panel object, it will automatically be added back to the panel.

as I try to reload it keeps bringing the same message. the funny thing is that the sound works perfectly, and if I open the volume control on the applications list it works fine, but not in the taskbar.

Also, when I try to configure the appearance in the control center I get this message:

Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g. KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME settings manager.

I have not tested many other things but for what I have been reading in other posts it has something to do with some KDE programs still running in the background.

I thought about removing KDE but I have many KDE applications that i prefer like kontac, kmail, ktorrent, kpilot, etc…

I have another computer with the same openSUSE 11.1 but I installed gnome as my main desktop, and I still can use the KDE applications without any problem.

Is there a way to switch from KDE to gnome permanently as if it was just installed?