Gnome PPP

Hello. I hope someone can help with this little problem.

Just installed opensuse 11.1, and it rocks, but im having a problem with gnome ppp.
I can use it to connect to the net with my Nokia 6120 classic on the 3 network UK with no problem, but only as root. Run it from terminal as root.

If i try to run it from the menu the log output says modem or resource busy.

So i need to be able to run as a normal user, as I dont want keep running it as root.

Im running opensuse 11.1, gnome 2.24.1, gnome ppp-0.3.23.

worked fine in opensuse 11.

Thanks in advance

garfilth

Have you tried installing kinternet and using that to connect? Kinternet works fine for me in 11.1 after I go to YAST / Modems and run the configuration “wizard”.

thnaks for the reply.
Tried kinternet before gnomeppp and tried kppp but no joy.

kppp said that i did not have permission to run pppd.

Have you tried wvdial? You have to su into a text editor then add your ISP info into /etc/wvdial.conf.

Then to launch the program, su into the terminal and type “wvdial”.

This is a good way of troubleshooting dial-up connections, and if you get it working, I believe you can set up wvdial to automatically connect when you log on to your account.

Not an ideal solution, but an option. Here is some info from the Ubuntu forums about setting up wvdial for a CDMA connection:

[SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA) - Ubuntu Forums](http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343989)

Also, you might play around with Gnome Network Manager. There is a CDMA option in there that might work.

Finally, have you tried disabling Network Manager in YAST? There may be some conflicting settings causing problems between the various programs used to connect to the net.

Just installed opensuse 11.1, and it rocks, but im having a problem with gnome ppp.
I can use it to connect to the net with my Nokia 6120 classic on the 3 network UK with no problem, but only as root. Run it from terminal as root.

If you are trying to connect via usb port, then you will need to add yourself to ‘uucp’ group first.

thanks for all the replys.

i will try them all tomorrow, as im in vista at the moment.>:(

will update later

thanks again