Gnome or KDE?

I’m new. Don’t believe me? I’ll prove it …

Hi All,

Kindly forgive my ignorance. …I crave to be cured.

Before reading further: I’ve done some searching… Do I need to choose between Gnome & KDE? Can I install both and run the one that I like best? If so, how do I make sure both are installed?

Now, even if I install both, I’d still like some feedback on the issues below …thanks!

Though “Gnome or KDE?” seems to be a common topic, all answers seem to be at least 5-years old (and a lot has changed).

I seek recommendations for a Linux GUI…

…That supports universal drag-&-drop from/to a file manager (for files) and from/to a text/picture/video/audio editor (for data files).

…That has an XP-style menu system that is a tree, add sub-menus as new folders, add sub-sub-menus as new sub-folders, etc. (without limit); populate menus with either program or data files – any file (any type) can be a menu item – (without limit and preferably by drag-&-drop). A simple-minded app launcher is not sufficient.

…That has a straight-forward way to pair a data file (by ‘.ext’ or mime-type) with the application that views (or opens, or edits) it – MS Windows calls this “file association”.

…That activates selections via “OK” (or “Apply”) buttons. For example: Though I can select a new font, and though I may be shown a sample,my selection doesn’t become permanent until I confirm my choice – Too many times I’ve selected something, and it’s activated immediately, and I don’t know what the original selection was, and I can’t get the original setting back.

…That has actual “Help” buttons (so I don’t have to go to Linux forums for help); that the “Help” buttons get actual documentation – off-line documentation, not an HTTP to some URL (and not a cryptic man file). If there is no help, it’s because nobody cares (and you shouldn’t either, shop elsewhere).

…That can run VirtualBox and can Host a WinXP Guest – I haven’t used VMware for several years and I don’t have warm feelings for it.

Thanks All,

Mark.

Oh, PS, The most important thing: This GUI should know it’s running on a 20-inch computer, not a 6-inch cell phone. And it would be nice to see text labels everywhere, not icons.

More proof that I’m new … (couldn’t find a way to edit my prior post)

One more thing: I don’t want “My Documents” or “My Pictures” or “My Videos” or any such “conveniences”. I prefer to start browsing my hard drive from the root directory every time (at least until I create links of my own). How do I avoid SUSE forcing me into a one-size-fits-all straight jacket?

Thanks.

You can install both Gnome and KDE.

I have both installed here (and XFCE). I mostly use KDE, but occasionally log into the others to see if they still work (or to see if I can repeat a problem that somebody is asking about).

I can’t advise which desktop you should choose. People have their own preferences. But it’s easy enough to try them out and decide later.

On those pesky folders – just leave them empty. It’s not worth the trouble of removing them, and they might be added back later anyway.

Assuming KDE (I’m not a GNOME user and therefore do not know if this applies), simply float the mouse over the input fields in the active window – for many (pure) KDE applications/widgets this will immediately raise some (often not brief) help information. Failing that, click the “?” icon located top-right in the (KDE) window and then click the field where help is required – there’s a graphical hint that help text is available by this means. If non of that is present then, click the “Help” button which is usually located window bottom-left.

I prefer a desktop machine with screens of at least the 24 inch class.10 years before I retired, I was absolutely certain that before my retirement my office screen would occupy the entire wall – unfortunately this never happened . . .
[INDENT=2] This is the main reason I prefer KDE: IMHO KDE is the perfect GUI for entire wall sized screens . . . ]
[/INDENT]

This is a KDE set-up: sorry about the rough translation from German but, it’s located in the System-Settings under “Application look” (or something similar) and then “Style” and then the “Fine Tuning” tab . . .