Gnome-mplayer error: vdpau backend

Hellow fellow lizards,

I’ve installed gnome-mplayer from packman repository and it works semi-perfectly; whenever I play a multimedia file, an error message pop up.

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I googled this error and I came up with threads state that mplayer was initially compiled with vdpau and in order to take advantage of this feature Nvidia proprietary driver must be installed. First of all, I cannot install this driver on my suse laptop because my graphic card is ATI Radeon HD 3200 and I’m currently using the fglrx proprietry driver. Can anyone help me to debug this problem with gnome-mplayer i.e. disable this vdpau feature. This error message drives me crazy >:(

Thanks

I do not know how to disable the message, although I suppose if you custom compile MPlayer that is possible, but I do not know enough to help you there.

But my understanding is that message causes no harm. So simply ignore it.

This is easily fixed. The issue is caused by Gnome Mplayer attempting to use the default VDPAU, which does not exists. To remove the message, launch Gnome Mplayer, select Edit->Preference. Enter xv into the video output and press close. This tells it to use xv instead of the default vdpau. I figured it out reading this blog:

Vernon’s blog: Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks a lot Paulsiu.
The nasty message “mplayer libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file” have totally disapeared after your fix.