GNOME is better than KDE

But somehow some bugs get fixed, so some non-developers must be moonlighting as developers. :wink:

Sometimes it comes down to an argument about what is a bug. I know that even in the applications world, some users ask about the lack of features that were never in the design spec and logically never should be. And users sometimes have pilot errors and then blame the software. One user copied a document to a new location and then proceeded to edit the old location, then complained that her changes didnā€™t show up on the web in the new location. She was very indignant about that until I pointed out what had happened.

> But somehow some bugs get fixed, so some non-developers must be
> moonlighting as developers. :wink:

Partly, but developers will fix things without admitting there was ever
a problem.

Sometimes it takes a few bug reports before itā€™s recognised as a general problem rather than pilot error. Itā€™s human to be optimistic and developers are often too human.

Microchip,
Iā€™ve been saying the same thing for a while, even said that Gnome might adopt its own version of plasma. When that happens Iā€™ll just shake my head & think," here we go again."
Gnomers again I say to you all donā€™t ever say never!
Finally, another thing I keep saying one DE is not better than the other or worse just different.

Linus clearly would have stuck with KDE 3.5 if Fedora had given him the option. Itā€™s hardly a ringing endorsement of GNOME, more avoiding development growing pains in an area heā€™s not involved with. He has said heā€™ll look at KDE4 again in the next Fedora release.

Compared to the thread on GNOME printing, with the famous ā€œJust tell people to use KDEā€, and the ā€œidiotsā€ mindset stuff, this was all rather mild and much less entertaining.

I did leave KDE twice for GNOME. Hereā€™s why:

1.Much nicer themes, and a cleaner, more consistent UI.

1. I use Firefox & Evolution, currently there is nothing better available in Linux. KDE PIM was a constant annoyance over years for me. During my 6 months test drive of KDE4 I used Opera for Webā€™nā€™Mailā€¦

2. Developers attitude. Really. Donā€™t judge a project by their fan boys. Those are always silly. The KDE project does more and more lock up themselves in a wagon ring. ā€œUsers are irrelevantā€ is the more polite way they deal with those nasty ā€œLusersā€ complaining. Also, there is the well known ā€œNot Invented Hereā€ hampering progress of the Desktop and the old finger pointing. Of course it is the Web being incompatible, Konqueror is just according to standards. And so onā€¦

I donā€™t care anymoreā€¦

Funny, ā€¦ I have always found KDE3 themes nicer, and a much wider selection. One can select KDE3 themes that are as clean, or cleaner than that of the default Gnome setup in most distroā€™s, or one can select a more complex KDE3 theme. I found one has a wider choice in KDE3.

What has that got to do with oneā€™s desktop selection? I used Firefox and Evolution for years with KDE3. This is NOT Gnome specific.

Actually, if you read Linus Torvalds views on this, he has always complained that Gnome developers were worse than KDE developers when it came to attitude. Gnome developers are known for dictating there is the Gnome development way or no way ā€¦ He got so frustrated at one point, that he developed some code for Gnome, and challenged the Gnome developers to either use the code, or justify why they had to reject the code.

Only recently (because of poor stability in the KDE-4.x implementation in Fedora) did Linus decide to give Gnome a try (noting KDE-3x is NOT available for the latest Fedora, unlike openSUSE where KDE-3.5.10 IS available). But I suspect his view about Gnome developers has NOT changed.

Iā€™m sure you have good reasons for liking Gnome (as this does tend to be a subjective assessment, and we all have our preferences) but your articulated reasons donā€™t ā€œringā€ accurately to me.

ā€¦ Still, I can understand it is difficult to articulate reasons in a subjective area (in this case, articulating why you prefer Gnome) ā€¦ I significantly prefer KDE, but I have a hard time articulating the reasons.

If you like gnome, it is your choice, itā€™s the one you like what can we do.
In my case I like xfce, it is the one I like to use.
But for aesthetics I go 100% with kde 4, really eye pleasing, ultra modern:cool:
I wonder when it reaches its adulthood?

Even when I favored KDE, I always found it clunky, even when new themes were used. To me Gnome has always looked better. Not that Iā€™m really into looks any more. I just want it to work these days.

The thing with 3.5.10 is itā€™s support days are numbered. Fairly soon users are going to have to move to something else. I just made my decision early on by moving to Gnome so I hopefully wouldnā€™t have to move again any time soon.

chuckles
Just when the GNOME developerā€™s are thinking about 3.0 and need to get more innovative. But I guess they will prioritise GNOME2 coexistance, rather than rely on distroā€™s to sort it for their users. Interestingly Plasma is catching interest, it might even be ported.

Iā€™ve seen very rapid bug fixes go in, and developerā€™s being very interested in actual specific issues.

See KDE 4.2.0 Release [LWN.net] comments for one example.

"Posted Jan 28, 2009 10:18 UTC (Wed) by lmurray (guest, #56356) [Link]
Thank you for (Indirectly) informing us of this bug. I have made the change to current trunk and will backport it to KDE 4.2.1 shortly.

If you come across any more keyboard-unfriendly actions feel free to open a bug report on http://bugs.kde.org ."

There is an enormous difference between getting software wrong ā€“ all software has bugs ā€“ and deliberately misrepresenting your product to get extra beta testing.

They didnā€™t misrespresent the product. They made it very clear, you just needed ears to listen.

I donā€™t care anymoreā€¦

Probably whining causes developerā€™s not to care either. Theyā€™re not there to be someoneā€™s psychoanalyst, and many users behave pretty poorly and excessively emotionally in ways that donā€™t help resolve bugs or get fetures done.

2 years of support. Thats enough for me.

Within two years we will be looking at KDE-4.4 and based on my playing with KDE-4.2 (on a live openSUSE CD), I think 4.4 will be awesome.

Fair enough, although 2 years is a pretty far horizon to me. Everyone has their own definition of ā€œsoonā€.

I was about to say the same about Gnome, but did not consider it tactful. However, since you brought it up first :slight_smile: ā€¦ Gnome IS clunky in appearance. :slight_smile:

Typically I just use the desktop I am happy with, and only comment on another desktop when I am pushed to provide support (for example in audio) in a desktop that I donā€™t like (and gnomeā€™s current pulse audio implementation is bad ā€¦ its simply just bad) or I find an anti-KDE comment simply wrong.

However having typed that, I still believe this entire desktop thing is very subjective.

For me, ā€œGNOME is clunky.ā€

Itā€™s not the appearance thatā€™s the problem. Itā€™s the sheer number of extra points, clicks and mouse moves you end up making. Slapping a thick layer of makeup, to distract from the core lack of ergonomic features, and then saying, oh but it looks gourgeous does nothing for me, though I have seen many ppl happy enough with that approach.

Fair enough to give a very basic simple interface to new users, the problem was there wasnā€™t a way to get more. The issues with not exposing Printer options was one symptom.

Old GNOME 1 used to crash quite a lot, they moved against that, had the corporate Useability types in, and became very ā€œfit in or get outā€ as a reaction. On the GNOME lists they talk freely about how stale and dull, itā€™s all got as a result.

Some GNOME users, have claimed that KDE is more Windows like, IMO actually the opposite is true. The dumbed down tone, of Windows & GNOME, and the restrictiveness comes from the same GUI philosophy. You can do it, if you want to do something they thought of.

That was Linusā€™s core point, the developerā€™s can never anticipate the userā€™s needs fully, only a subset of them.

[size=][size=][size=][size=][size=]

I think youā€™ve got it twisted. Itā€™s one of the main reasons why Torvalds switchedā€¦ usability. Iā€™m typing this right now from KDE 4.2. I wanted to see if things have changed and indeed they have. Itā€™s quicker, probably even quicker to load than Gnome. However, thereā€™s some major problems that kwin, widgets, and excess options canā€™t hideā€¦ usability and functionality.

I really think that KDE needs a come to Jesus moment. Why? Because KDE has more potential than Gnome at this point. However, potential alone isnā€™t enough if you get your feelings hurt and arenā€™t willing to make changes.

Iā€™m primarily an Ubuntu/Gnome user. My desktop is pretty well customized and everything really ā€œjust worksā€. So far Iā€™m on day two of KDE 4.2 and thereā€™s some really glaring problems that Gnome has rectified years ago. Hereā€™s a short list of problems Iā€™ve stumbled onto.

***Mounting of Drives **[/size][/size][/size][/size]
Right now KDE will show my ext and NTFS drives, but good luck getting them mounted in an easy way. What I had to do was make a directory for them to mount. Then go to the partition manager to create the mount. The difference between this method and Gnome is that. You see your drives. You double click and boom itā€™s mounted. In one click all in one go. KDE not so much.

*USB Bluetooth Dongles
Gnome I plug it in and itā€™s detected when the kernel sees it and thereā€™s a little BT icon in my system tray. I immediately can connect and search for devices and connect. For KDE you have to find the KDE app first, when it should automatically appear when the device is inserted.

*Networking
Right now thereā€™s YAST and the KNetworkManager. They fight for attention and thereā€™s really no clear cut way to disable/reenable that I can find. I see it in YAST but K Control Center is the default, but it doesnā€™t show my connections, so where is it? Something as easy as ā€œam I connected?ā€, ā€œwhatā€™s my IP Address?ā€,ā€œdisconnect/reconnectā€, etc all seem hidden unless I go to terminal.

*Opening Admin Access to Applications
Ok so right now the only thing that works is kdesu. Any other admin access to the kernel via su or sudo donā€™t, why? In Gnome you can use sudo, su or gksudo and they all open the application successfully. No muss no fuss. Itā€™s aggravating because even if you are comfortable with using terminal thatā€™s not enough when it comes to KDE.

*Detecting Media Files / Device Drivers
In Gnome, for Ubuntu anyway, the moment you try and play a file that doesnā€™t have a corresponding codec installed, it prompts you ā€œSearching for codecā€ followed by ā€œWould you like to install Codec XYZā€?

In KDE well it will tell you it doesnā€™t work either by hanging or giving you an error message. Why not take the next step and install what I need for me?

Drivers are the same deal.

*Kicker Panel
If itā€™s so customizable, why canā€™t I move it to the top? Come on now. For goodness sake, take care of something this easy that anyone would do upon first logging in. BTW military time is great if Iā€™m on a ship, but Iā€™m not and would like to be able to change this easily.

*KWin / Emerald / Compiz

Whatā€™s the deal here? Gnome install from the package manager using the compiz icon and away you go. In KDE, not so much. Itā€™s ok if Kwin is going to try and do away with needing compiz, but right now itā€™s no replacement yet. Itā€™s almost there. But it still needs work, so lets not break compatibility until it is. Plus the amount of available themes is puny, Iā€™m installing dekorater to get around this, but again right now it doesnā€™t seem like the simple things are customizable only the more complicated stuff that people wonā€™t get to until much later.

Thereā€™s more stuff that Iā€™m running into with Myth but Iā€™ll stop here.

Overall like I said thereā€™s a lot of potential. But right now usability functionality (not necessarily features) and stability should be job #1. Customizability is great and all but if none of the stuff talks to each other and conflicts and fights for attention or worse hangs without even telling you whatā€™s going on, it just doesnā€™t come off as a end user (novice or not) would expect it to.[/size]

As you note, those are KDE4 limitations. KDE3 does not have most of these. Gnome has its own set of annoying limitations. Very annoying for some. In particular the pulse audio implementation in gnome is bad. Real bad. This is true across all distributions. KDE-3.5.10 does NOT have the gnome pulse audio problems.

I think it important to distinguish between KDE-3.5.10 and KDE-4.2.

Now I also think KDE-4 has potential. The functionality that many of us still want may be ā€œthereā€ in KDE-4.2.x or KDE-4.3.x or KDE-4.4.x. In the meantime, KDE-3.5.10 HAS THE FUNCTIONALITY and is supported for another two years on openSUSE. In two years we will be at KDE-4.4 and given the rate of KDE4 development, that looks very promising.

I still maintain if Linux had tried a distro with KDE3 he would not not have tried Gnome. ā€¦ Or if he had tried Gnome, it would have been to satisfy curiosity about Gnome and not dissatisfaction with KDE3.

By all means I totally understand the polish of KDE 3.5. Iā€™m actually going to try that after Iā€™m satisfied in understanding 4.2. I just want to make sure that the above listed problems arenā€™t over looked in favor adding more features. Right now KDE 4.2 looks almost as good as Windows 7 if not better from the aesthetic and feature capability point-of-view.

As far as Gnome and pulse audio, the fixes come relatively quickly and at this point thereā€™s only two major issues in Gnome. Pulse Audio recording, and Samba + gvfs (this one I have no idea why theyā€™ve let linger as long as they have ā€“ it should be all hands on deck to fix this one). Other than that thereā€™s not many that Iā€™ve stumbled on that are deal breakers.

Iā€™m really interested in looking at the two different philosophies to see what happens with 4.3 or whatever, and Gnome 3.0 (2.31, etc) to see which has my vote. Iā€™ve been using Linux for a while now so Iā€™m glad to see 4.2 fix a lot of the performance issues I just need to see the polish before I make KDE my favorite WM.

Linusā€™s latest ā€œendorsementā€ of GNOME DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

DW: Since Fedora has dropped support for KDE 3.x in recent times, what desktop environment are you using now? Have you made the move to KDE 4.x, or dare I say it, GNOME? If so, how have you found the transition?

LT: Since Iā€™m on Fedora, I got hit by the (bad) transition to KDE4, and as a result Iā€™ve been using GNOME for the last year or so. Itā€™s still somewhat painful, more so when Iā€™m on my laptop, mainly for the same old reason: you cannot fix the mouse buttons in GNOME. (The reason this hits me more on the laptop than anywhere else is that most laptops only have two buttons, making the middle-button press much harder. And middle button is what you need for the ā€˜send to backā€™ window action.)

I wrote the patch (including even the graphical configuration management), I sent it in, and it got rejected as ā€œtoo complicated for usersā€. Frickinā€™ idiots (and Iā€™m not talking about those alleged users).

But right now, KDE is worse. Iā€™d like to explore alternatives, but if youā€™ve followed my answers this far and are perceptive, youā€™ll probably already have figured out that the programs involved arenā€™t on my list of things I care about that much.

Iā€™m well known for disliking GNOME, but itā€™s not the ā€œusing itā€ part that I dislike as much as the apparent mentality of the GNOME people who think that all users are idiots and then limit what I can do with it for that reason.

See the difference?

So Iā€™ll use whatever works best on my machine and in my workflow, and a window manager is not something I really care deeply about.

Simply opinion, but for most Linux is about freedom and functionality, yet KDE 4.x development seems to be focused on glitz. Gnome is clean and logical; minimal, functional, and unobtrusive with the option to graphically trick it out with compiz etcā€¦ Menu customization is simple and complete. KDE 4.x is in your face with all its graphical goodiness, the menu system (while not difficult) is illogically structured as many have noted. I find KDE 4.x to perform noticeably slower in every way on my Lenovo S10 netbook as well.

If you spend the majority of your time gazing at your eyecandy jumble of a desktop while anticipating the next wonderous application transition animation, KDE 4.x is for you. If it is important to be able to quickly navigate your menu system, and you spend most of your time with your face in some software then go with Gnome.

ā€¦ or go with KDE-3.5.10. Its the best KDE implementation out there.

Holy Cow! This is still going on:O
Look people letā€™s think of linux as pizza & the DEā€™s as a side item like breadsticks or garlic bread. OK?
Some people like garlic bread, some like breadsticks neither is right or wrong.
Now just as youā€™d peacefully eat your pizza & whichever side item you choose alongside those that didnā€™t, let gnomers, kdeā€™ers, XCFEā€™ers,etc use their DE choice,
Can we all just get along now?