Gnome Display Manager in openSUSE 11.1

Hi,

openSUSE 11.1 has been released, and as far as I can say it’s great, but… ok, I know that some bugs have been squashed during complete rewrite of GDM, but including GDM-2.24.x in distribution imho was not a good idea - lack of theming support really sucks;)

Look…we have a very nice looking grub-splash, next there is consistent splash-image during system startup, and then…then we see this wow-factor-mega-destroyer-from-outerspace-wtf-Gnome-Display-Manager

So, my question… any plans to make backport of old and for now better, or should I rather say more complete - GDM - 2.20.x to openSUSE 11.1?

PS. Keep up the good work. Thanks for another nice realease :slight_smile:

Fresh install, and the gnome instance cannot switch user: (works with same install under KDE)

"Unable to Start Display

The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files"

I’ve been getting a variety of these “not provided by any .service files” messages. So the problem may well be deeper than the DisplayManager

ditto, kde fine gnome - no switch.
openSuse 11.1 updated

I use Gnome and 11.1 with kdm4 as the display manager, just to get the nice consistent look’n’feel at startup. You can change which display manager to use inside YaST /etc/sysconfig.