getting vnc to work on 13.1 with lxde

I found many, many posts on this but nothing so far has gotten this to work for me. I want to have VNC running on a soon-to-be headless box running OpenSUSE 13.1 with LXDE. I’ve managed to get where I am now (which is, stuck at a black screen) by doing the following

1. enable remote administration using YaST
  2. open a terminal and run vncpasswd for the vnc user
  3. edit /etc/xinetd.d/vnc
    change user = nobody to user = vnc user
    to server_args add -rfbauth /home/<vnc user>/.vnc/passwd
    remove -securitytypes none from server_args

Now I can connect to :1 with a VNC client, both with vncviewer and RealVNC viewer on a Win7, get to authenticate and then I see a 1024x768 blackness (in 16 bit). Where I would like to see is a login screen.

1. tried many, many things in /home/<vnc user>/.vnc/xstartup

because that’s where I figure I’m stuck now. Currently it looks like

#!/bin/bash
xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid black
lxterminal &
/usr/bin/lxsession &

I really don’t get why this has to be so complicated, if there’s a “enable remote administration” checkbox one would think it would work after checking said checkbox. I don’t know which logs to check, messages only shows me that the VNC session started.

Anyhow. I’d be very grateful if anyone can point out a way out. :slight_smile:

Tried again on a fresh OpenSUSE 13.1 + LXDE install, enable Remote Administration without making any other changes leads me to the same black screen when VNCing to :1. I’m pretty certain it has to do with the /.vnc/xstartup but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to properly configure it.

Looking into alternatives for VNC (if I can’t get this to work I need to move on) I find X11 (would that work for a Win7 box?) and NoMachine, but I’d prefer to get VNC working as it’s a known quantity for me. NoMachine looks tempting though.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed any light on this.

And which displaymanager (i.e. Login Screen) are you using?
If it’s kdm, you might see this bug:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=807781

Try to switch to xdm as a test (in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager).

Thanks wolfi323! That did it.

I did a fresh install of OpenSUSE 13.1 with KDM in a VM and enabled remote adminstration - was working right away and showing the login screen.

Did a fresh install of same but with LXDE - no joy, same black screen instead of a login screen.

The default display manager turns out to be lxdm. Swapped that for xdm and now there is a login screen (albeit much less nice looking than lxdm)! yay. Thanks for helping! Now I’d just like to understand what went wrong to learn from this (me and anyone else who might run into this :)).

1. Why am I getting a login screen when using xdm and not lxdm? Is it a bug in lxdm or a configuration issue with lxdm?

2. If a configuration issue, what could it be and where would I look to settle it?

3. Is there any debug output to be found that would (have) help(ed) me to track this down on my own? messages for example doesn’t help here.

Did some digging and it may be that lxdm doesn’t support XDMCP. I’m not 100% certain as most of the information I found around this is quite old but I never found support explicitly listed. That would explain though.

So I’m now looking into installing LightDM as an alternative to xdm. Superficial as I am login screen prettiness is important to me :slight_smile: doesn’t feel finished otherwise.

OK, then that’s not the same issue, lxdm doesn’t use QT.

Swapped that for xdm and now there is a login screen (albeit much less nice looking than lxdm)! yay. Thanks for helping! Now I’d just like to understand what went wrong to learn from this (me and anyone else who might run into this :)).

I just suggested to try xdm, because that should be installed in any case.
You could of course install and use any other DM as well. (kdm f.e. since it seems to work for you)

1. Why am I getting a login screen when using xdm and not lxdm? Is it a bug in lxdm or a configuration issue with lxdm?
  1. If a configuration issue, what could it be and where would I look to settle it?
  1. Is there any debug output to be found that would (have) help(ed) me to track this down on my own? messages for example doesn’t help here.

I don’t know much about lxdm, sorry.

There should be a log file in /var/log/, but I’m not sure how lxdm would name it. (lxdm.log maybe?)

No, XDMCP has nothing to do with VNC.
Those are completely different protocols.

So I’m now looking into installing LightDM as an alternative to xdm. Superficial as I am login screen prettiness is important to me :slight_smile: doesn’t feel finished otherwise.

Be careful, LightDM has problems as well at the moment.
It might not start reliably on boot:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=846832
Although a possible cause has been identified recently and testing packages are available, see the bug report if you have problems.

OK yes I understand that now after reading up a bit more. Thanks for pointing out the bug in LightDM, I haven’t run across it yet but definitely good to know. I’m just looking for a lightweight thing which is why I went for LXDM. Is there another lightweight display manager that you’d recommend?

Hm, I cannot really recommend anything, as I only ever really used kdm myself. (Except for occasionally starting another one to have a look at it out of curiosity)
It surely depends on what you mean with “lightweight” of course.
I guess all available display managers should be quite lightweight, but if you think in terms of required additional packages, kdm (needs some KDE packages) and sddm (uses Qt/QML) f.e. would fall out of the equation I guess, you should better stick to a Gtk-based one then.

You could find a list of display manager here, f.e.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_display_manager_(program_type)#Some_implementations
You should at least be able to find some of them on http://software.opensuse.org/search/.

But if you don’t have a problem with LightDM, it might be the best choice anyway.

Sound advice and I’ll stick to LightDM for the time being. Thanks again for helping, much appreciated.

Well, apparently (according to one tester in the bug report), the fixed LightDM package does indeed work, so hopefully there will be an update soon and there should be no problems any more afterwards… :wink:

not to revive the thread, but thank you guys for your help.
I was struggling with this for a week before finding this thread.
turns out the lxde DM is nto working with VNC. after I switch to xdm VNC works well.
I also tried kdm4 which also works.
however you can not share the main desktop. vncserver creates new desktop every time you log-in and closes it when you log out.

but using the x11vnc works as expected.
all I need now is figure out how to make it run on restart and I am golden :slight_smile: