Getting past the VM installation resart

Still at bottom of learning curve I have manged to set up new machine and run the OS installation iso. Unfortunately after entering the required inputs the installation process requires a restart but when I do restart, the whole installation process starts over with the iso instead of with the installed system. How do I start from the newly installed OS which should be on the Virtual Drive?
Budgie

Remove the ISO from the virtual CD/DVD drive.

OTOH, the installation CD/DVD does have a “Boot installed OS” in its boot menu, which should do exactly that.

For further help, it would be important to tell what VM software you actually use.

Hi Wolfi,
Using Oracle VM VirtualBox.
Tried removing the ISO but then received boot failure message.
The reboot during the installation process comes after the virtual drive has been formatted but the OS has not yet been installed. The only choice I am given is to restart the system using Ctrl-Alt-Del.
Trouble is this doesn’t seem to work with the VM.

Then obviously the installation failed for some reason.
Maybe your ISO is “broken”?

The reboot during the installation process comes after the virtual drive has been formatted so the only choice I am given is to restart the system using Ctrl-Alt-Del.

No. The reboot should only come after the installation is finished, after all packages are installed.

You cannot boot from a freshly formatted drive.

Hi, the OS is ArcaNoae (Warp4.5 reborn) and the iso is OK as I have burnt it to dvd and installed on another machine. The machine I am now on does not have DVD drive so I am going down the VM route as it is time I did!!! I have the iso image on the real machine and select it during the VM setup process.

The ArcaOS installation process running from the iso gets to look at the drive on which it is to be installed and says it needs to be “fixed,” I assume this means formatted with JFS. If I select “Fix” I then get the restart message but this is before any files have been copied to the virtual drive. Hope I this is clear. For the VM I have selected the separate virtual hard drive option as I may want to use it with another VM.

I think I have now sorted this out by creating another drive within the OS installation process. Will call for more help if I have not been successful.
Many thanks once more.

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 16:06:01 +0000, Budgie2 wrote:

> Hi, the OS is ArcaNoae (Warp4.5 reborn) and the iso is OK as I have
> burnt it to dvd and installed on another machine. The machine I am now
> on does not have DVD drive so I am going down the VM route as it is time
> I did!!! I have the iso image on the real machine and select it during
> the VM setup process.
>
> The ArcaOS installation process running from the iso gets to look at the
> drive on which it is to be installed and says it needs to be “fixed,” I
> assume this means formatted with JFS. If I select “Fix” I then get the
> restart message but this is before any files have been copied to the
> virtual drive. Hope I this is clear. For the VM I have selected the
> separate virtual hard drive option as I may want to use it with another
> VM.

Sounds like a question for the ArcaOS folks.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Oh, I somehow thought you were trying to install openSUSE Leap 42.2 in the VM…

OK I have passed the installation stage but seek help please with getting network connectivity and to be able to see the real hard drives on the machine.
I have selected bridged adaptor in the settings>network tab but still cannot ping my gateway. Also cannot see any real drives. Am I missing some packages? Do I need guest additions? I want to be able to manage files on some of the hard drives and send them to NAS hence the functions cited.

Defnitely not for our forums. Like @hendersj suggests, go the OS’s forums, or VB’s. You can’t expect us to know what other distros do.

Hi and thanks for that! A bit harsh since my problem is not with the VM OS but achieving connectivity between the VM and the host. The sticky at the start of this forum states

We in particular are interested in providing assistance in setting up a VM in a openSUSE host computer

The same problem/questions would surely arise if I were running OpenSUSE Leap42.2 as VM.

Network should work out of the box.
The default is NAT, have you tried that? It definitely works here (with openSUSE guests).

Might of course also be a guest OS issue, e.g. it might not support the emulated network card.

Also cannot see any real drives. Am I missing some packages? Do I need guest additions?

It’s not possible to “see the real hard drives” in the guest.
But you can use shared folders to access the host’s files.
This indeed needs to have the guest additions installed and activated.

If ArcaOS doesn’t include them (openSUSE does e.g.), you’d need to download them from virtualbox.org.
No idea if ArcaOS is supported though, I don’t even know what ArcaOS is.

PS, see the VirtualBox manual for more information about the guest additions:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

You should be able to “insert” the guest additions CD via “Insert Guest Additions” in the guest window’s “Devices” menu.
(the ISO is not included in openSUSE’s virtualbox package, but that should automatically download it)

But as I wrote, I have no idea whether ArcaOS is supported.

Another option to access the host’s files would be to share them via Samba (if ArcaOS supports acessing Windows shares) or NFS (if ArcaOS supports accessing NFS shares).

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 17:36:02 +0000, Budgie2 wrote:

> Knurpht;2827317 Wrote:
>> Defnitely not for our forums. Like @hendersj suggests, go the OS’s
>> forums, or VB’s. You can’t expect us to know what other distros do.
> Hi and thanks for that! A bit harsh since my problem is not with the VM
> OS but achieving connectivity between the VM and the host. The sticky
> at the start of this forum states
>> We in particular are interested in providing assistance in
>> setting up a VM in a openSUSE host computer
> The same problem/questions would surely arise if I were running OpenSUSE
> Leap42.2 as VM.

Well, not really, because the support for the virtual network card is
provided by the guest OS, so it all depends on if they’ve got a driver
for that virtual network adapter.

If they don’t, there’s nothing anyone here can do - and since there’s not
a lot of expertise in ArcaOS in this forum, the logical thing to do would
be to ask a group of experts in that OS - which would be that OS’s
community. :slight_smile:

We’re not trying to be harsh here - we’re trying to be helpful by
suggesting a resource that can help you answer the questions you have.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Looks like ArcaOS is an incarnation and effort by the Warp OS/2 people to remain relevant.
Also looks like default packages attempt to offer it as a Media Server.
https://www.arcanoae.com/

Interestingly, Googling “arcaos virtualbox” turns up nothing.
I also can’t find any published pages that describe its technical features, only that it runs on an x64 machine supporting modern nVidai/ATI/Intel GPUs.

So,
With so little information available it’s not clear how successful you will be running in virtualization.
You <probably> should be OK if you don’t expect much, but who knows.

TSU

Hi Tsu, Jim et al. I am making some progress and have some network connectivity with both NAT and Bridged Adaptor. NAT gives me an internet connection but I cannot ping my gateway neither can I see my network shares from NAS boxes etc. With Bridged Adaptor I still cannot ping my gateway but it gives me internet access and access to all the LAN shares on the VM.

Access to the host machine drives is more difficult and I shall have to do some reading. Thanks Tsu for the details and link. I am clearly not aware of the way VM works but the drives I wish to access on the host are, if I remember correctly, formatted in HPFS. It occurs to me that if the host linux system is not able to access and read the files on these drives, the VM would never be able to see them. In which case the only way will be to install the ArcaOS on the host not as VM.
Thank you all for your help so far. I shall read more over the weekend.

BTW was there ever a package for linux to read HPFS in the same way as for windoze systems?
Thanks again,
Budgie

Actually VirtualBox does support raw hard disk access it seems:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk

I never tried this though.
It’s not exposed via the GUI, and as you can see the manual explicitly warns that this is for experts only and may easily lead to total data loss.

BTW was there ever a package for linux to read HPFS in the same way as for windoze systems?

HPFS support is part of the Linux kernel:

wolfi@amiga:~> ls /lib/modules/4.4.72-18.12-default/kernel/fs/hpfs
hpfs.ko
wolfi@amiga:~> rpm -qf /lib/modules/4.4.72-18.12-default/kernel/fs/hpfs
kernel-default-4.4.72-18.12.2.x86_64

So you should be able to mount your HPFS partitions in openSUSE like any other partitions.

I have no idea how well it works or what features it has though.

PS: if you want to access external drives from the guest, you may be able to do so via the USB pass through.

Network functionality is universal across all OS.
So, for example there should not be any reason you can’t ping Gateways if your networking if functioning. You may not be pinging correct addresses, or you may be pinging names when name resolution is not available.
Something you should always keep in mind is that by default there is no name resolution between a Guest and the HostOS, so you must always use IP addresses.

Also, keep in mind that Virtualbox NAT is not the same as conventional NAT or NAT you’ll find in other virtualization technologies… In Virtualbox, when you configure NAT your Guest shares the HostOS network device including its IP address. If you want to assign your Guest its own NAT (and function as NAT does everywhere else other than Virtualbox) then you need to configure the NAT-network networking type, not NAT.

According to what I’ve been able to find, the NTFS-3G driver should support reading HPFS partitions (mount the partition specifying the NTFS-3G file system).

As for whether the HostOS needs to read HPFS, it depends on how you add the HPFS partition to your Guest… If you add it as a block device, I doubt that the HostOS has to read the file system, but otherwise… I’d expect the HostOS must be able to read the file system.

You may need the NTFS-3G FUSE driver
https://software.opensuse.org/package/ntfs-3g

TSU

I have been reading the source documentation for the kernel and hpfs covered in Documentation/filesystems/hpfs. As far as I am aware this function is best used in read only, which would be OK for me but I cannot access these HPFS drives from Leap42.2 on host system. Could it be that the 42.2 kernel has been built without this hpfs module? Out of my depth here but looks like I shall have to build a custom kernel.