Getting FlightGear to work

Hi

I used to use FlightGear many versions ago and thought I’d try it again now. But there seems to be some configuration problem I can’t sort out.

With YAST I installed FG 3.7.0-2.1-x86_64 from obs://build.opensuse.org/games onto my system (Suse 13.2, KDE 4.14.9). When I try to run the program the game window opens and I even get the engine sound, but the default aircraft interior does not appear. I just see a black terrain with runway lighting.

It seems that for some reason it can’t load the specific aircraft or indeed any context data files, although the files are in the correct path it’s looking at. The startup begins like this:

fred@linux-txck:~> fgfs
Enabling ATI viewport hack
default catalog not found, installing 'org.flightgear.default' from 'http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/3.7.0/default-catalog.xml'.
canvas::Image: Missing 'png' image reader
canvas::Text: Missing 'ttf' font reader
Failed to load model: Failed to load 3D model:
        from:/usr/share/flightgear/Aircraft/c172p/Models/c172p.xml
canvas::Text: Failed to open font file /usr/share/flightgear/Fonts/LiberationFonts/LiberationSans-Bold.ttf
KMA20 audio panel initialized
Hobbs system stopped
Hobbs system stopped
Starter off
KI266 dme indicator #0 initialized
^C

followed by pages of:

failed to load effect texture file /usr/share/flightgear/Textures/Terrain/city1.png
failed to load effect texture file /usr/share/flightgear/Textures/Terrain/city1-relief-light.png
failed to load effect texture file /usr/share/flightgear/Textures/Terrain/city1-relief-light.png
failed to load effect texture file /usr/share/flightgear/Textures/Terrain/city1.png
failed to load effect texture file /usr/share/flightgear/Textures/Terrain/rock_alt.png
failed to load effect texture file /usr/share/flightgear/Textures/Terrain/void.png
failed to load effect texture file /usr/share/flightgear/Textures/Terrain/grain_texture.png
failed to load effect texture file /usr/share/flightgear/Textures/Terrain/void.png

As I say, all these “failed to load” files seem to be exactly where they should be. Any ideas as to what I might do next would be appreciated!

Cheers
Fred

In Yast lookup flightgear with description option checked be sure you have all packages

Yeah it does look like something is missing, but the referenced packages all seem to be there.

If I look in the dependencies, there’s a long list of “requires” (starting at libcc.so.6()(54bit)) which I can’t find via a YAST search, but I would have expected a package bundled in the games repository to have handled all that?

Installed Version
3.7.0-2.1
application()
application(FlightGear.desktop)
FlightGear = 3.7.0-2.1
FlightGear(x86-64) = 3.7.0-2.1
libc.so.6()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)(64bit)
libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
libm.so.6()(64bit)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6()(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.7)(64bit)
libgcc_s.so.1()(64bit)
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)(64bit)
libX11.so.6()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.15)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.9)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.11)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.11)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.15)(64bit)
libpng16.so.16()(64bit)
libpng16.so.16(PNG16_0)(64bit)
libdbus-1.so.3()(64bit)
libGL.so.1()(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3.1)(64bit)
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_4.0.0)(64bit)
libsqlite3.so.0()(64bit)
libGLU.so.1()(64bit)
libopenal.so.1()(64bit)
libOpenThreads.so.20()(64bit)
libosg.so.130()(64bit)
libosgDB.so.130()(64bit)
libosgGA.so.130()(64bit)
libosgText.so.130()(64bit)
libosgUtil.so.130()(64bit)
libosgViewer.so.130()(64bit)
libSimGearCore.so.3.7.0()(64bit)
libSimGearScene.so.3.7.0()(64bit)
libglut.so.3()(64bit)
libplibfnt.so.0()(64bit)
libplibjs.so.0()(64bit)
libplibpu.so.0()(64bit)
libplibpuaux.so.0()(64bit)
libplibsg.so.0()(64bit)
libplibul.so.0()(64bit)
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.6-1
FlightGear-data = 3.7.0

Check the box to include provides in the search. I doubt is a basic library since the install should bring any required or throw an error.

DO you have the FG data package? I don’t run it but I’d say you need all FG related packages

Yes I have the FG data package, the main FG install forces its installation.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/fred_jones2/FG_YAST_zps7b9kgytj.jpeg

You are missing FGx perhaps that is needed would not hurt to try

Yeah I didn’t install FGx. Flightgear is a flight simulator with a bewildering array of command line parameters covering initial settings for aircraft, terrain, location, etc. Both fgrun and FGx are separate front ends which can launch the simulator with appropriate settings via a convenient GUI presentation.
But just to cover all bases I have installed FGx and confirmed it has no effect on the problem I have.

I think for the moment I’ll have to assume the opensuse 13.2 packaging for this app is broken, and instead uninstall it and load the original version from the flightgear site.
Thanks for your time and suggestions though, always worth a try! :slight_smile:

Did that work? if so a bug report is needed

I am getting sort of the same on Tumbleweed so there is a bug in the Flightgear package I assume, affected for all versions.

Bo

You need OpenSceneGraph-plugins and stuff works. I will branch the package and create a fix.

Bo

Request submitted: https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/371265

Bo

Got accepted, just reinstalled the packages, stuff seems to work fine, can you confirm @fredsie?

Bo

Hi
Question, how does making a change to the SimGear package fix FlightGear since it doesn’t recognize any change (it rebuilds, sure, but no changes detected)…

On Mon 14 Mar 2016 05:56:01 PM CDT, malcolmlewis wrote:

bosim;2758746 Wrote:
> Got accepted, just reinstalled the packages, stuff seems to work fine,
> can you confirm @fredsie?
>
> Bo
Hi
Question, how does making a change to the SimGear package fix FlightGear
since it doesn’t recognize any change (it rebuilds, sure, but no changes
detected)…

Ahh it’s libSimGearCore-3.7. I see it also uses the games:tool
subproject for libgif7, on openSUSE Leap 42.1 it only has libgif6 so
creates a an issue for OpenSceneGraph-plugins and
libSimGearCore-3.7 unable to install since libgif7 is not in the games
repo…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP1|GNOME 3.10.4|3.12.53-60.30-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Simgear missed dependency. Flightgear could also add that dependency but it is really SimGear that needs it (i.e. FlightGear depends on SimgGear).

Wierd it didn’t change, did you make sure to zypper refresh --force?

Anyways I am building Flightgear 2016.1.1 on buildservice, hope it will work out and get into games soon.

Bo

Hi
The issue is the rebuilt SimGear uses libgif6 and libgif7 from the games:tools repo (it must be linked) but ligif7 is not published in the games repo, therefore cannot update…

Wierd on Tumbleweed with my 2016.1.1 build there is no link to libgif6 nor libgif7.

Bo

Hi
The libgif7 package is part of Tumbleweed, therefore it builds/installs fine, openSUSE releases <= Leap ships with libgif6. Look at the buildlogs in games for SimGear, for Leap it uses both, since you added the OpenSceneGraph-plugins as a BuildRequires, this uses libgif7 as well…;
https://build.opensuse.org/package/dependency/games/SimGear?arch=x86_64&dname=OpenSceneGraph-plugins&dproject=games&drepository=openSUSE_Leap_42.1&filename=SimGear-3.7.0-3.1.src.rpm&repository=openSUSE_Leap_42.1

Then if you drill down;
https://build.opensuse.org/package/dependency/games/SimGear?arch=x86_64&dname=libgif7&dproject=games%3Atools&drepository=openSUSE_Leap_42.1&filename=SimGear-3.7.0-3.1.src.rpm&repository=openSUSE_Leap_42.1

Nothing provides libgif7(x86-64) = 5.1.2-103.1