Getting DWL-G510 To Work?

IMHO you have simply been unlucky that the madwifi site is down. My recommendation is to simply try be patient and wait for the madwifi site to come back up, or go for the NDIS wrapper. Its had to say how long the madwifi site will be down for.

Well, I obtained madwifi from sourceforge as a tar.gz (I think) package, and tried to compile it, but that doesn’t work, either.
Keeps saying “make: command not found” and stuff like that.

Did you first install:
a. make
b. gcc, gcc++, gcc42, gcc42++
c. kernel-source
d. linux-kernel-headers

Damn. I didn’t know any of that was necessary. I thought that you could compile things from source from the get-go.
How would I go about doing all of that without an internet connection?

I would expect those are on your installation CD

Ohh, okay. So reinstall and make sure those are checked, then? Are they defaulty installed?

It’s really interesting that it just works in Ubuntu, which suggests madwifi would work. Did you have to do anything to get it to work in Ubuntu or did it just arrive alive?

Have you actually tried madwifi? Or is the connectivity a problem?

I’m surprised the linkage through ICS didn’t work. Did you try it? What happened?

PLease supply the PCIID by supplying the output from the root command lspci -n

So that’s four pieces of information please.

Reinstall?? Why ??

Just install them from YaST … when you select the package, it should ask for you to re-insert the CD.

Me thinks it might help if you read the openSUSE concepts page:
Concepts - openSUSE
… pay attention to the links on that page when you are in the software section.

With Ubuntu, as soon as I installed my wireless card was up, functioning, and with two clicks connected to my wireless network.
Which I loved so much about Ubuntu, but I really want to give other distros a try (specifically openSUSE).

No, I’ve not tried madwifi. I can’t install it. Since I can’t connect to the repositories, I cannot get it from there, and since it won’t let me compile from source, I can’t download it on here, put it on Linux, and install it that way.

I did try ICS, and I just couldn’t figure out how to get it to work. I tried a lot of stuff. Few hours spent on that.

And the command lspci -n didn’t work :confused:
“Command lspci couldn’t be found.”

Before you enter lspci -n, you must first enter su to gain rootly powers. I’m sorry I didn’t mention this, but I thought that you knew this because you succeeded in an earlier post to execute lspci -v. So try the su-first version of lspci -n. FYI this helps track down the usefulness of ndiswrapper for a device.

Oh, and while you’re at it, can you post also the su-first version of uname -r. FYI this relates to installing madwifi.

I know, I thought I did that.

Wait – no I probably didn’t. I know you did say the root command, and I know how to do that, but when I wrote down on this paper next to me, I just wrote
“also, copy/paste
lspci -n”

Failed to include that I’ve gotta have root priviledges, and my memory is absolute s***.
I’ll do that in a bit.
Thanks for reminding me.

I’ll also do the other.
Thanks =]

D***. For some reason, it won’t let me edit my last post.
Anyway, here’s my results.

lspci -n

linux-r6yr:/home/condawg # lspci -n
00:00.0 0600: 8086:1a30 (rev 

11)
00:01.0 0604: 8086:1a31 (rev 11)
00:1d.0 0c03: 8086:24c2 (rev 

01)00:1d.1 0c03: 8086:24c4 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 0c03: 8086:24c7 (rev 

01)00:1d.7 0c03: 8086:24cd (rev 01)
00:1e.0 0604: 8086:244e (rev 

81)00:1f.0 0601: 8086:24c0 (rev 01)
00:1f.1 0101: 8086:24cb (rev 

01)00:1f.3 0c05: 8086:24c3 (rev 01)
00:1f.5 0401: 8086:24c5 (rev 

01)01:00.0 0300: 10de:0221 (rev a1)
02:09.0 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 

61)02:09.1 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 61)
02:09.2 0c03: 1106:3104 (rev 

63)02:09.3 0c00: 1106:3044 (rev 46)
02:0a.0 0c00: 11c1:5811 (rev 

05)02:0b.0 0200: 168c:001a (rev 01)
02:0c.0 0200: 10ec:8139 (rev 

10)

uname -r

linux-r6yr:/home/condawg # uname -r
2.6.25.4-8-default

Hope it helps =]

Ok, the madwifi site is back up. :slight_smile:

I note you posted this earlier:

Searching the madwifi site gives this:
Compatibility/D-Link - madwifi.org - DWL G510 compatibility
and states:

Various different versions are available: Rev. A is the Atheros AR5005G chipset and the newer Rev. B1 does work.
It also has a table where it notes firmware compatibility, where 2.00, 2.10, 2.11, 4.0 and 4.10 work. Can you check your DWL-G510 card (or the box in which it came) to check which firmware you have? Its quite possible your Rev-B is supported by the madwifi.

I also note the AR2413 in your D-Link, where the madwifi sites suggests the AR2412 is typical… this is a source of some confusion with the madwifi site. (although under the atheros card section, I notice the AR2413 is mostly supported).

If you still wish to try the madwifi on your RC1, the repos for the madwifi rpm is here:
Index of /suse/11.0
After installing the rpm, don’t forget to type (in a konsole with root permissions): modprobe ath_pci

Again, the following page gives instructions (but helps more now that the madwifi site is back up):
Atheros madwifi - openSUSE

And failing that, IMHO you will need to concentrate on using the NDIS wrapper.

Condawg:

I’m gonna give you different advice, based on
the fact that I have the same card that you have
and I have NOT been able to get the madwifi
(i.e. neither ‘ath5k’ nor’ath_pci’) to work
reliably.

My advice is to go DIRECTLY to the ndiswrapper
approach, which is what I’m using, which works.

That said, BEFORE you do that, I’d also suggest
that you hook a wired-ethernet-cable directly
into the router, and get 11.0 properly
installed/updated/working, before you
think about even trying to compile the
madwifi drivers. *

My 2-cents worth…

Dave*

Thanks for the help, guys, but

oldcpu - the modprobe command didn’t work :confused:

cookdav - I can’t get a wired connection going for some reason… It’s just not working.

I temporarily installed Fedora 9 KDE to see how the wireless worked out of the box in it, and my wireless card was even recognized on this ditro :confused: It seems like just about every distro EXCEPT for the one that I want to use automatically detects it.
From my experience, Ubuntu does, Mandriva does, Fedora does, and openSUSE doesn’t.

What error did you get with it?

That it didn’t exist

I’m thinking that you must think I know every error message off the top of my head. … I don’t … your stating “That it didn’t exist” means nothing to me.

The nominal convention, when one gets an error, is to precisely copy the salient text. A vague statement such that you gave is not useful to me, and I can not help you with that. …

Maybe someone else can.

Good luck.

I’m very sorry… I was in a bit of a rush when I replied there, and figured it might help a bit for the time being.

I believe that it was
“modprobe: Command cannot be found” or something along those lines.

Reads to me you forgot to type it with root permissions.