General overview of openSUSE

i am a windows user all my life, but now i wanna to try something new - linux. i’m thinking to try out openSUSE. but before i try it out, can someone please give me a comparision of the different linux distros and also give a comparision of it with windows (neutral comparision)

You could write a book on the questions you ask. You can try it from a live cd - see for yourself. Though when it comes to install I would recommend using the DVD.

KDE desktop will likely give you the most familiar of environments compared to Windows.

Distro to Distro comparison is complex. Basically they will all do the same. In levels of difficulty eg:
easy: ubuntu, mint, PCLOS,
Medium: Fedora, openSUSE,
Hard: Gentoo, Sabayon,

Doubtless there will be differing opinions on the difficulty levels I quote. But from a new user perspective - it seems about right to me.

Remember there are so many more to choose from too.

The Linux Home Page at Linux Online

Obviously, this forum will tend to be biased towards openSUSE, otherwise most of us wouldn’t be here. :wink: As linux distributions go, openSUSE is hard to beat in terms of overall desktop quality, community support,and software repositories, as well as the openSUSE build service. The YaST tool is arguably the centre-piece of openSUSE, and offers a reasonably centralised and well-developed means of installing software or configuring the system for old and new users alike via a graphical interface.

I have used Red Hat / Fedora in the past, but never felt the distribution was as polished, with lots of configuring by hand required to get apps and hardware working properly. KDE3 is my preferred desktop (similar functionality to Windows inc mouse behaviour and keyboard shortcuts), but KDE4.2 is worth looking at as well. I’ve tried Gnome in the past, but don’t like its desktop icons and layout, and don’t find it as user-friendly.

Rather than discussing it endlessly, I well recommend trying it for yourself via a LiveCD.

A good comparative distro site:

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

okay, then i’ll try openSUSE. thanks for your reply and sorry for posting a rather trivial thread (i’m new, after all). :wink:

I don’t use Windows at home (I haven’t since 1998) so I can’t provide you a comparison. BUT here is a basic openSUSE concepts page that may help a bit: Concepts - openSUSE

Note in particular the emphasis on open source free software. That is incredibly important and fundamental in understanding why things are the way they are in Linux. Many new users get frustrated with some difficult things in Linux, because they don’t understand that the “Linux way” is driven by those basic fundamentals.

In my opinion/experience, you really need to ask yourself first this seemingly simple question:

What do I do with my computer?

Write down a list of things that you do, for example:

1. Internet
  2. Email
  3. Games (what type, 3d or 2d)
  4. Chatting with friends on ICQ/MSN/Yahoo etc’

Then do as recommended here, run the liveCD and see what you can and can’t do.

Then try each one with the available Linux alternatives.

You also need to have an open mind and be prepared to do things differently. There are 2 paths to choose from when you hear yourself saying “That’s not how it’s done under Windows”.

At that point the easy road is to simply switch back to Windows and forget Linux exists, the other path is to ask yourself “ok, what’s the alternative way?”.

There is an alternative to almost anything you do under Windows, it might not be as pretty, and might sometimes be completely odd, but there is usually a way.

Ask for help here in the Forum BEFORE you get annoyed and throw your hands in the air. People will help when they can.

The other thing to keep in mind as a Linux user is that you can’t go out and buy cheap hardware or peripherals. Very few hardware manufacturers make their products work with anything but Microsoft operating systems(tm!), so you will have to ask a lot of questions before buying a new printer or webcam etc’.

It’s not Linux’s fault, it’s simply the economics of scale factor, hardware vendors want to sell products, and the main market is Windows.

Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t play good games under Linux either, I play quite a few 3d games quite nicely thankyou very much. It’s not plain sailing, but is possible.

Linux costs nothing but a little brainpower and an open mind, the prize is freedom of choice :).

Uaaa… Dude;P

In Poland we have a saying on this… we call it a “river subject” (witch means, the subject is as long as a river;))

To compare distros, I would not choose a distro-oriented forum. Try some general Linux forums. openSuSE is a general, well supproted and “for beginners” distro. I would also recommend Debian (also easy, but You build everything and learn the basics while doing it), Ubuntu (most popular, Debian-based), Fedora, Mint… those are the most user-friendly i think (and the ones i tried).

Also check this subject:
why do people use different distros different machines

This will help You understand, that even You may like some distro far more then the other, it may turn out that the other one works better on Your machine (I myself was divided between Ubuntu and openSuSE for a loooong time).

Read this. Tectonic » Which is the best Linux distro for new users?

Welcome to our forums! We all hope that you choose Suse, but this website may just be what you need right now::wink:
zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

Welcome to our forums! We all hope that you choose Suse, but this website may just be what you need right now:
zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

okay, then i’ll try openSUSE. thanks for your reply and sorry for posting a rather trivial thread (i’m new, after all).

There is such thing as a trivial post, but they are the easiest to answer!lol!

As a previous user of Sabayon & XP, and now Vista & openSUSE, I agree with most of the sentiments above.

openSUSE has been more intuitive to make the step from Windows than I found Sabayon to be in my limited experience.

Also, as a hand-builder of my PCs, it has been easy to tweak everything the way I want. These pages have helped immensely in the few short days I have been using openSUSE-11.1