GDM Suspend on Idle

I’m running openSUSE 12.3 with the latest Gnome 3.8 stable repo enabled. My question is, is there a way to set GDM to suspend when idle for a certain amount of time. I have a machine in a work environment where the possibility exists that people won’t be working on it or logged in for long stretches including, obviously, overnight where I would like the machine to suspend from the login screen. My Googling and searching the forum has not found much and what I have found is fairly old. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Apart from the fact that I doubt there is a solution just “out of the box” (but I vaguely think of init 3 and init 5), I note that you have specified when GDM must be stopped (after running for a certain, perhaps configurable, amount of time), but you did not specify the event that should start GDM again.

The wake event would be a key press most likely. I can select suspend from the GDM menu and the computer will go to sleep. When I press the keyboard, the computer will wake and return to the GDM screen. I was simply looking for a way to have this process occur after a pre-defined interval as the functionality seems to be there already.

On 2013-04-26 14:06, hcvv wrote:
>
> Apart from the fact that I doubt there is a solution just “out of the
> box” (but I vaguely think of init 3 and init 5), I note that you have
> specified when GDM must be stopped (after running for a certain, perhaps
> configurable, amount of time), but you did not specify the event that
> should start GDM again.

Typically, that would be a keypress. It is a suspend to ram, I assume,
so the normal procedure. The problem is triggering sleep, because that
is usually controlled once you log in, not before, by the desktop.

I think that GDM is configurable somewhat as a desktop, to some extent,
if you log in as the “gdm” user, which requires first that you allow
such login and add a password. I did this once with the previous gnome
version, but I did not play with power control.

It would be an interesting experiment.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

[QUOTE=lakerssuperman;2551328]The wake event would be a key press most likely. I can select suspend from the GDM menu and the computer will go to sleep. When I press the keyboard, the computer will wake and return to the GDM screen. I was simply looking for a way to have this process occur after a pre-defined interval as the functionality seems to be there already./QUOTE
It seems that I completely misunderstood you. What you mean is a suspend of the system. Then the system will do nothing but waiting on the hardware level for an interupt.

That is something completely different from what I understood hat you said: the GDM process stopping (or something like that, but it is not doing veru much in any case when it waits for a login) and the system functioning on in the meantime (doing whatever system can do: serving printer queues, NFS exports, web-pages, mailboxes, runninmg battch jobs, whatever).

My apologies if I wasn’t clear, but yes I simply want the system to suspend. I read about logging in as the gdm user, but I didn’t try it as the instructions were from a few years ago and I was unsure if it would work with the new Gnome 3 GDM. I’ll try this and see what happens. Thanks.