Future of tumbleweed

Hello everyone,

I’m curious about the future of openSUSE Tumbleweed following the introduction of the Adaptable Linux Platform (ALP). With the changes on the horizon, will Tumbleweed be phased out or replaced? Or perhaps its development will be community-driven, similar to the anticipated direction for Leap? Having recently transitioned from Manjaro to Tumbleweed, I’ve grown quite fond of it and am concerned about what lies ahead for this OS.

@Alir3za_se Hi and welcome to the Forum :smile:
Tumbleweed is going nowhere and will continue to roll along… Leap has one more release (15.6) cycle to go at this point in time and MicroOS, Aeon and Kapla are full steam ahead…

First of all, thank you very much for your warm and friendly approach. So Tumbleweed will continue to receive updates. Will AEON or micro OS be a replacement for Tumbleweed in the future? I apologize if this question is a bit silly; I’m not currently very familiar with micro OS and AEON ;I’ve only heard a little about AEON being similar to Tumbleweed, but I’m not even sure if that’s correct.

Tumbleweed vs Micro OS /AEON

“Are these details still valid?”

@Alir3za_se No, Tumbleweed is the development project for the MicroOS releases…

See https://microos.opensuse.org/ with Aeon (GNOME) and Kapla (KDE Plasma) flavors.

In answer to your link validity, AFAIK yes, something along the Leap series may come to fruition, depending on the Community stepping up to fill that void…

FWIW, I’m using Tumbleweed daily and have a number of MicroOS, Aeon and Hyprland setups all running without issues.

3 Likes

Tumbleweed isn’t going anywhere. Period. End of Story.

Aeon and/or Kalpa, microOS, or any future projects based on microOS quite literally can’t exist without Tumbleweed.

5 Likes

Well, I don’t think so unless the word Tumbleweed will be mixed with the essential, and possible who knows, evolution of the rolling release. To me personally, the rolling system is an advantage and with a decent experience from my past errors, I am in full control. Another personal, but just personal opinion, is that I don’t like BTRFS approach and Weyland. The first took me out too unnecessary disk space. The second doesn’t perform better than X11 especially with games. And I play a lot of games, even non-native. For example?

Death Stranding on Linux. It’s a blast.

I don’t use Wayland, 'cause it’s buggy.

I only use BTRFS for / because of rollback capabilities, but I do not use it for /home.

Linux is about choices, wants, and needs.

Don’t use what you don’t like. :+1:

1 Like

I don’t like thin scrollbars that even disappear when I need them in GUI applications. How do I switch off this feature in all applications?

If I remember correctly, the GUI/windowing system “Intuition” built into the Commodore Amiga roundabout 37 years ago and the Motif GUI toolkit, as I learned it to know in 1993, had scrollbars with better usability, at least for my needs.

1 Like

All of this is “martian” to me, @malcolmlewis. Where do I find the breakdown about all these different versions, why there are now so many, what the differences are, and why Leap might die. Also, can you point me to the Flatpack background? Yast is 99.8% of the reason I chose openSUSE as my operating system eons ago, and is the main reason I still use it. I’m sure I’m not alone, so where can I see the most productive discussion on that change?

@Fraser_Bell Hey there :smile: Leap will be around for another two years, maybe even a 15.7…

On the openSUSE Portal (Wiki) for the likes of MicroOS :wink:

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Leap
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:MicroOS
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Aeon

1 Like

And for the monumental battle between the Yasters and the Flatpackers? I’m sure a lot of blood was spilled on that battlefield. Or, has the play-by-play been sealed for 40 years to protect reputations? LOL
@malcolmlewis

Well, so I don’t need to get too excited, yet.

About Flatpack/Yast/DInstaller/ALP/ and almost everything else openSUSE: After a DuckDuckGo-around tonight, I am now completely lost and confused about what is, what is not, what maybe is, or what maybe is not about our Distro and Community. Maybe Quantum Physics might be a much easier topic to unravel? What to you think, @malcolmlewis?

@Fraser_Bell simple, Tumbleweed isn’t going anywhere… don’t forget systemd-boot and full disk encryption (FDE)…

1 Like

What?

Flatpak and YaST don’t have anything to do with each other.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Flatpak is a packaging format, YaST is a system configuration tool/framework.

Hi, I guess you are referring to Leap 15. A few days ago the news came out that Leap was going to continue and have a non immutable version 16. Regards

There are no plans to drop the classical (non-immutable) option for Leap; both non-immutable or immutable installation variants are available for Leap 15 and are planned for Leap 16. This is set to remain the preferred way for people to deploy Leap.

3 Likes

As was pointed out elsewhere, Flatpack is a packaging format, YaST is a system configuration tool/framework. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, @hendersj

I am going to have to do a lot of catching up on all those things I mentioned, and several more items. I have not really kept track during the past few years, as I have been immersed in releasing my Recordings … and openSUSE Leap has just continued running, without issue, for years. Once in awhile, dup, or install from a USB installer, once every few weeks zypper up, and no issues.

Gotta love openSUSE.

3 Likes

Yeah, things have changed a bit since you were here last. Glad to hear the recording stuff is going well for you!

I’ve been running TW now for over a year, been really happy with it.

1 Like