fsck

fsck is not executed on 11.2. I’ve had several file system corruptions/faults in the past months and I always had to reboot and do fsck manually. Even from the cd -> repair file system is not working
Thanks for fixing

OK, you have several threads on the go. And considering the contents of this one. You may well benefit from a backup, then complete HD overhaul and reinstall.

Vista 64 on another partition has never caused problems…also I didn’t have such issues before 11.2

but did i tell that i had to completely reinstall 11.2 3times!!!never seen such a buggy release…but i suspect the updater to be a killer. >:(
at least after removing the updater, apart running fsck then and when the systems keeps running.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:26:01 +0000, mik334 thoughfully wrote:

> Vista 64 on another partition has never caused problems…also I didn’t
> have such issues before 11.2
>
> but did i tell that i had to completely reinstall 11.2
> 3times!!!never seen such a buggy release…but i suspect the updater
> to be a killer. >:(
> at least after removing the updater, apart running fsck then and when
> the systems keeps running.

Not sure its 11.2 or Vista that’s causing your fschks. With dual boot
XP if the time clocks were out of sync between my XP and OpenSuSe 11.1
the 11.1 was forced into a fschk, or if I used ext2ifs to move files
between the 2 systems it required an fschk.

jaster@home.net

If this was a general problem the board would be swamped. This is a problem with your hardware. So start there. Have you run a low level scan of the drive? You can get the software from your drive maker’s website. You really want to know if it is the drive or not.

Vista runs ok you say. But vista is not on the same area of the drive as Suse. Drives can have bad or problem areas.

Generally you do not want to run a full fsck at the boot if you expect reasonable boot times. There is a way to force it but I have can’t remember how. I think maybe
**shutdown -rF now **
will force the fsck to run on next boot
But if the file system is too messed up you will still need to run it by hand

I would like to ask what type of Linux partition are you using? Is it ext2, ext3 or ext4? Under openSUSE 11.2 I did have some issues where a Linux root partition using ext4 would continue to increase in size until all space was consumed.

A 120 GB partition took less than two days to run out of space while left on all of the time but with nothing but the desktop showning. I reloaded SuSE and dropped back to ext3 and the problems went away with the same loaded applications.

I could never figure out what was wrong though I am sure it is a combination of factors. In any event I would drop down to ext3 or even ext2 to see if the problem you are having goes away. Of course, this means another reload. I had to reload twice before I gave up on ext4 and never understood what could have been going on while using the ext4 file system.

Strange my ext4 seems very stable and much faster then reiserfs in 10.2 Also had corruption problem with power failure corrupting the disk but I’m also using a new drive and not seen any low level problems with corrupted sectors. Knock on wood. :stuck_out_tongue:

yea ext4. it doesn’t happen often but the first time was very annonying telling “fs in not repairable” >:( from the CD repair options. luckily I simply did “fsck”…rotfl!