From o.S.11.1 to o.S.11.3

Hello,
presently having o.S.11.1 on my machine.
I like to install o.S. 11.3. Is it advisable to go step by step and install
o.S. 11.2 first before installing o.S.11.3 in order to retain my present personal settings?

Thanks
E.K.

eberhardkrehl wrote:
> Is it advisable to go step by step and install o.S. 11.2 first
> before installing o.S.11.3 in order to retain my present personal
> settings?

yes, see http://en.opensuse.org/Upgrade


DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Actually IMO it is better to do a new install just don’t format the home partition and you will still have your personal data and settings.

Yes, i agree. Upgrading an OS to a newer version results in a not-very-good install as several junk settings and things etc. stay back and you don’t get to enjoy the new install as much as you should. And if you upgrade it twice in a row, then it’ll be even worse. Problems will be much more common than they will be if you do a new install.

Since you are using 11.1, I assume the filesystem for home is ext3. I would do a new install (no upgrade) but tell the installer not to format /home if I really wanted to keep the settings. Btw if you can backup your data elsewhere and replace the ext3 home with ext4 i’m sure you won’t regret it ;). ext4 is a big improvement over its predecessor.

Thanks all for your answers.
E.K.

I recommend you keep a back up copy of /etc directory USB stick as a reference (not to re-use) … some guidance here:

On 2010-07-07 18:06 GMT BrownieCat wrote:

> Yes, i agree. Upgrading an OS to a newer version results in a
> not-very-good install as several junk settings and things etc. stay
> back and you don’t get to enjoy the new install as much as you
> should. And if you upgrade it -twice- in a row, then it’ll be even
> worse. Problems will be much more common than they will be if you do
> a new install.

No reason why.
My main machine was updated all the way from SuSE 7.3 or 8.1 up to
openSUSE 11.0. No problems.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Minas Tirith))

On 2010-07-07 11:56 GMT eberhardkrehl wrote:

>
> Hello,
> presently having o.S.11.1 on my machine.
> I like to install o.S. 11.3. Is it advisable to go step by step and
> install
> o.S. 11.2 first before installing o.S.11.3 in order to retain my
> present personal settings?

Your personal settings are in your HOME. If your home is on a different
partition, then you can install fresh, which will format and destroy
your old root filesystem with all system settings, but preserve all
your personal settings and data on HOME (provided you make sure it is
not formatted, but used).

On the other hand, if you don’t have a separate home, your personal data
will be destroyed, unless you do an upgrade.

My recommendation (general case)?

  1. Try an 11.3 live. If it doesn’t work for you, wait for 11.4.
  2. Do a full backup.
  3. Try an upgrade.
  4. If it fails, try a new install.
  5. If it fails, recover the backup.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Minas Tirith))