Fresh install, No sound

I just installed Leap 42.1. The only real issue I’ve had is no sound. I have an AMD Radeon R9-280. When I run ***cat /proc/asound/cards ***I get
** 0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7f10000 irq 30
1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
HDA ATI HDMI at 0xf7e60000 irq 31

**So I’m not sure if it’s not recognizing it or just what is going on.

Also, just to note, I tried with a USB headset. That doesn’t work either

Did you set it up in yast? Get a test sound? Try adding your user to the audio group

BTW you know video card only do HDMI output. And **HDA ATI **is your R9-280 video card audio

Install pavucontrol and use that to adjust what input and output for all sound devices and programs

Everything is set up, I’m still not getting any sound. Even with test. I added my user to audio group, and installed pavucontrol.
When I open up the volume control, it only says dummy output.

Try changing the order in yast or see if you can chose the device in pavucontrol.

**HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7f10000 irq 30

**try making this one default

Note that HDMI devices only output to HDMI output cables

Okay, so I can now get test sound with my headphones, but nothing else yet. And pavucontrol is now showing HDMI/Display Port 2 (unplugged). Which it shows for the built in audio as well.

maybe that is an audio plug. Sometime labellings gets messed up you should be able to direct it now. You have to have a HDMI device plugged in to the HDMI port to use HDMI. Be sure to remove headphones since they can block internal sound

Also check volume levels and muting

Okay, sounds like progress is being made. How do I go about directing it now? I

It’s working!! I ran **pacmd set-card-profile 0 output:hdmi-surround **and bam! Working! Thanks so much for all you’re help!

Gratz. You will find that pavucontrol is a great control and allows you to direct for any program to send sound to the device or output you want