Fresh install - can't login

My title says it all really, I get to the login screen and it doesn’t login. Usually, the cursor and clock freeze and after about 10mins it fails and I get the opportunity to click on my name again for another go. There’s no ‘login failed’ notification.

I’ve tried logining in with xorg and every other option on the list, same result.

If I click on ‘not listed’ and try to login as admin it sometimes says ‘password authentification failed’ but the password is correct. The password has numbers in it and i’ve tried using the numpad and the qwerty numbers… same result.

I don’t what to do! The only thing I’m left to try is yet another install and to leave the ‘automatically login’ box checked.

I used Leap for years without any problems but I now want some of the updated packages used in Tumbleweed.

Thank you for any help

ha… after 2.5hrs… nomodeset did it.

nomodeset is only an emergency measure it disables the GPU card. It is never a solution. SO what graphics card do you have??

1 Like

Thank you for your reply

I’ve never understood nomodeset to be that, more that the drivers are started at a later stage. I’ve always had to use it to install Leap and although Tumbleweed installed without it, it wouldn’t boot. I’ve always used my nvidia gpus to their fullest once I’m on the desktop.

fwiw, I’m back on these forums because whenever I DUP or Update Tumbleweed I can’t get xorg working. It might be time to go back to Leap!

Nomodeset is explained here more fully. For the vast majority of users, those not using NVidia’s proprietary graphics drivers, it cannot be a “solution”, only a workaround or troubleshooting tool. See also the graphics primer.