Frequent troubles connecting to opensuse.org

So I left a comment in the “forum comments/suggestions” board that included the following statement:

1. The forums and the wiki seem to be more down than up. More than half of the times I try to connect to it, it won’t load. I have subscribed to the openSUSE News feed, but I don’t think it ever made mention of this problem, and I thought it was unusual for a website such as this one to have so much downtime. I don’t run into problems like this with other websites, so it seems safe to assume that it really is opensuse.org or parts of it (especially the forums) that are down a lot.

Someone suggested to open a thread about it here.

natural_pilot gave me this response:

i think this is more of a problem for you and your location and/or network situation…it has not been widely reported by others…

(this is not a technical help forum so don’t answer here! but: have you yet turned off IPv6? and/or have you done a traceroute? are you connecting from (say) a university/job site/country which may filter or block? are you on a shared connection which sometimes gets metered or jammed with traffic? [in other words: where ARE you, what kind of connection to the net do you have?]…and, yes i saw you said “I don’t run into problems like this with other websites” and ask, are all those other web sites use the same net routers? are any of the other web sites cached/mirrored nearer? etc? i suggest you post a help
request in the network/internet forum…)

To specify, I have mostly had these connection problems with the wiki and the forums, while I found that e.g. the download section would sometimes work when the rest didn’t.

1. IPv6 is turned off in my FF3.
  2. I don’t know about traceroutes, so if someone explained what it is, I could do one.
  3. I do connect from campus occasionally, but I don’t know that it blocks or filters anything, and I haven’t noticed any difference in the availability of the website. And Germany has thankfully not yet started to block web content…
  4. The connection that I mostly use I only share with my wife’s computer. The campus connection works very well most of the time.
  5. I have a pretty ordinary DSL 2000 flatrate connection.

are all those other web sites use the same net routers?
I don’t know. See 2.!

1. Like many web users, I visit several dozen websites a day, and I usually don’t run into problems, so I guess caching/mirroring can be excluded.

Can anyone help me? :slight_smile:

Hey alvanx:

>Can anyone help me?

Not I. I know things are working fine on this end. What is happening
between here and there I don’t know.

Kim (6/5/2009 11:20:55 AM Mountain)

>> i suggest you post a help
>> request in the network/internet forum…)

this is not the networking forum…this is the "Forum Usage Support &
Information " try one more time…
this time to the correct forum where the networkinggurus* hang
out… <http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/> and, maybe
someone there can/will help…

> And Germany has thankfully not yet started to block web content…

i live in Denmark and with the exception of momentary slowness i find
almost no trouble in fast, sure connections (there were some
previously mentioned problems, but that was months ago)…

on the other hand i do think we on this side of the Atlantic
sometimes get slowed and/or rejected because of routine cron jobs
running on the servers around midnight somewhere in the USA, which is
during our business day on this side of the pond…

you might monitor your experience for a few days noting, when you have
problems and when not…and, if you see a timing pattern you should
include that in your post to the networking forum (as i don’t see
how they are gonna change routine server slowdown to accommodate work
patterns here)…

natural_pilot