Freeradius fails to start from Yast - version 2.2.0-1.1

I am unable to start the service through Yast for freeradius 2.2.0-1.1

Note: I have already done a complete clean install of freeradius 2.2.0-1.1 (even rm -rf the /etc/raddb) and attempted this with default configuration (e.g., I didn’t edit any files myself)

Inside Yast (obviously authenticated as root to open Yast) > System Services > Attempt to enable radiusd and receive the following:
/etc/init.d/radiusd start returned 1 (unspecified error)

Checked /var/log/radius radius.log is empty.

openSUSE version 12.2 64 bit

I had obtained the 2.2.0-1.1 version by the following:
Added repository Index of /repositories/network:/aaa/openSUSE_12.2
Installed the 64bit rpm for freeradius 2.2.0-1.1 from this repository

If I uninstall the 2.2.0-1.1 completely and also subsequently rm -rf /etc/raddb, then disable the above repository and re-install freeradius to version 2.1.12 there is no problem starting the freeradius service via Yast System Services.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem with version 2.2.0-1.1? I would prefer to run that version since it has many security fixes in place.

Thanks!

It could be that somebody else here. is using that particular version from that particular repo (and I guess that is why you ask here). When no help comes, IMHO you better try to find the packager on that repo to discuss with him if he made a mistake.

IMO the app won’t post to its own logfile until the app has started. Since you’re having problems getting it started it’s more likely an error would be logged in the syslog.

For those using openSUSE 12.2 and earlier, the following should display the last 100 lines of the syslog, modify or inspect the entire logfile for relevant entries

# tail -n 100 /var/log/messages

HTH,
TSU

Thanks for the tip TSU. Although the syslog entry did not really help much for identifying the problem, it sparked an idea for me.

This problem seems to be caused by a name conflict. The unofficial package freeradius 2.2.0-1.1 with this issue creates the script file called radiusd in the /etc/init.d directory. On the other hand, the officially supported freeradius 2.1.12 calls the script file in /etc/init.d freeradius.

I renamed the script file inside /etc/init.d from radiusd to freeradius and then the service started fine in Yast. It appears you can name this script anything except radiusd, because I was able to start it fine by naming it freerad as well.

Perhaps this can help others if they run into this issue.