Free Space on Hard Disc

I’m starting to push the limit of my /home directory. My machine is Linux/Windows dual-boot. I need to keep Windows as the machine is not “officially” mine, and so might need to go back at some point to a Windows user. All my normal Windows access is via VirtualBox.

I have made my Windows partitions as small as possible, and now have an empty D partition as follows:

http://www.successfulsystems.co.uk/Screenshot-1.png

It’s the D* partition that I would like to add to my home directory. Is there an easy way of doing this, or am I looking at a complete re-install of openSUSE?

It doesn’t look like it will be, least not easy.

Really we need this from a su - terminal

fdisk -l

OK, here it is:

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb10e63f9

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               2       15962   128206732+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2   *       42246       60801   149051070    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5           42246       42507     2104483+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6           42508       45118    20972826   83  Linux
/dev/sda7           45119       60801   125973666   83  Linux

Is that what you need? Your help is greatly appreciated, even if it’s to give me bad news about a fresh install! Other posts you have made have been enormously helpful on a huge range of subjects.

sda2 is NOT a partition as such, well it is, it’s a extended partition.
Itself it doesn’t hold info, it hold logical partitions
The windows/D bit is the confusing part. It should not be there.

Perhaps it was windows/D at one time, but now its not. You can’t use it and do not have that space to use. The142 GB that is takes up is represented exactly by sda5,6,7 your linux install

Do you follow that?

Yes I do…but it does mean that some space on my disc is “missing” - between sectors 15962 and 42246. How do I get these back?

Yes. I missed that.
You should use Parted Magic
When you select the HD in the Partition Manager you should be able to see where that unallocated space is. It looks to me like it lies outside the extended partition. Getting it to become part of the extended might be possible I think. But I wouldn’t do it. Personally, my move would be back up, and re do it all.

So I can either

1. bash on regardless, in the face of past bitter experience
  2. be sensible and re-install…

Thanks for the advice. Any ****-up from here on in is on my own head!

You said it!

Enjoy…

Quick question: If I used YaST to do a system back-up to an external drive (plus data back-up), re-installed 11.3 to where I wanted it and then restored the system, agian via YaST, would that work? Or should I forget that and just re-install ata suitable point?

You could put a partition in the space format it for Linux (ext4) and mount it somewhere in your file system to use. Of course you should backup anytime you play at the partition level. Just in case you hit a wrong button or the power fails or Murphy comes to visit.

You can put a partition in that free space and format it for Linux (ext4 maybe) and then mount it at a convenient spot in the file system. You should always backup when playing at the partition level since you never know when Murphy will visit.

I never use that backup and all I read of those who try is not pretty. It is quick to re-install, for me anyway. If you were running a server, it might be different - are you?

If you go to Yast > Software Manager >
Go to ‘File’ > export
That will save a file you can use to re-install all your current packages
You need your current repos too

So I can either

1. bash on regardless, in the face of past bitter experience
  2. be sensible and re-install…

You need to do the backup your data anyway, so after that; why not use parted magic to resize sda2 to use the free space, then delete sda5 (swap), move and resize sda6 and sda7 to what you want and then recreate swap in the remaining space? You may want to leave that free space for swap before sda6 to avoid playing with fstab. You already have everything backed up, If it doesn’t work for you, no loss, just do that planned repartitioning and reinstall of the lot.

As stated,

Really we need this from a su - terminal

fdisk -l

I support gogalthorp’s statement. It would become sda3 and thus out of sequence. fdisk would tell you every time, but it is only a warning. We have seen these sort of “out of sequence” partitions more often here and they worked (but many people were amazed/amused).

OTOH, when you have many partitions you often mount them somewhere and in the end the space you need is always in the wrong one. Thus a complete redo will give you a better overall result imho.

. Thus a complete redo will give you a better overall result imho. 

Then you have everything backed, perfect time to see what can be done, by trying it.