forum authentication bug

Now that the login page on Novell has been changed, the forum authentication is behaving strangely.

After some of time of non-activity on the forum, an attempt to see New Posts will return a page with Register/Login. If this clicked, some of the time (probably after a short period of non-activity), it will redirect to the Novell page, but that page recognises that the session is still valid and returns you to the forum. Other times it will require a re-login. You’d think that in the first case, the forum software would detect the fact that the session is still valid and not make you click on Register/Login.

And of course the double Location: headers some of the time are still causing errors from Chrome 16.

Yes, some of us have noticed and commented in another thread.

Yes, quite. However, it does not seem to be “after a short period of non-activity”. It did not ask me to login this morning, even though overnight had been a period of activity. My impression is that it is closer to needing a login every second time that you visit the forum.

It’s not a big deal, unless it happens when you are trying to post a response and you lose what you typed.

I have only had that happen after closing and restarting the browser. And that’s expected, given that the login state is kept in session cookies.

On the other hand, when I am logged into the forum, I see that I am also logged into buzilla. Apparently, the two are now sharing the same login. That part is good.

Yeah, you’re right, it looks pretty random, I can detect no pattern to the loss of authentication. It’s getting annoying.

And now I’ve once seen a new message from Chrome, complaining about a redirect loop.

I have mentioned this to the powers that be.
It was/is bugging me too

Hurray,Hurray!!!

Somebody here reports a** redirect loop**!!!

I am having this all the time since the 29th of November (when the login page changed. Untiul now I (and Kim) thought I am the only one. I am using a proxy now to get loged in at all. On my own system (11.4) I get the redirect ftrom FF and Konq. On my wifes system (same LAN) (11.2) I get it from FF.

As using a UK proxy from the Nethrelands is no real solution for the long time, I hope somebody can shed some light on it.

Can those of you having a redirect loop provide some more information?

I have it from my home LAN, with has a fixed IP address from the Internet.
I asked one of our fellow members here in the Netherlands to login using my username/passwrd and that worked.
I am using now a proxy and that works. As soon as I switch off the proxy, I am in trouble.
I experience the same either using the new forums (Novell) login page, or loging in from any of the other opensuse.org pages.

I hear talking of Chrome, is that realy Chrome bounded or can you, from the same session login with another browser?

I hear talking of ‘sometimes’, could it be that you use a different IP address then?

Well each browser has its own session so what you do in one should not affect another, except that any server side history, e.g. posts seen, should be common, though caching and delays have to be taken into account. However thus far I have only used Chrome with the forums. I’m trying with FF now.

I have seen the errors both at work and at home. The IP addresses are dynamic but fairly stable and do not change for days.

I have got the multiple redirect error many times.

I have only seen the redirect loop message once, from Chrome.

I just had the problem of not being loged in again. For the record:
. I have one FF window open with the forums home page (to stay loged in).
. I clicked an RRS feed item (new tthread in Applications: Digikam on 12.1) to open it.
. FF showed me the un-loged in forums home page.
. I clicked the login (upper right).
. FF showed me the logedin home page (but I dit not see the Novell login page and thus did nnot login).
. I closed that window and clicked anew on the RSS feed.
. This now opens correctly.

> I just had the problem of not being loged in again.

now is a good time for all of you to upgrade to nntp! :wink:

heh.

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

I posted to a different thread (http://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/forums-feedback/forums-comments-suggestions/468435-login-bug.html#post2415061 on this authentication matter.

I may, at some time, use NNTP. I hope that conditions do not arise that make such usage the easier manner to read, search and post here.

On 12/06/2011 06:56 PM, SeanMc98 wrote:
> I hope that conditions do not arise
> that make such usage the easier manner to read, search and post here.

it already is the easiest way…

ymmv

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

On 2011-12-06 18:56, SeanMc98 wrote:
> I may, at some time, use NNTP. I hope that conditions do not arise
> that make such usage the easier manner to read, search and post here.

It is indeed the easiest manner. This is the only forum in which I
participate assiduously, thanks to that feature.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)