Force CUPS to PS2?

Hi everyone!

I have an older printer that I use (Lexmark Optra S 1855) and it doesn’t do PS3 or PCL6. So when I try to print something that is PS3 (like a web page from Firefox for example), the printer just spits out a blank page, or none at all. I can manually set OpenOffice and Adobe Reader to PS2 and it prints fine, but is there a way to globally force CUPS to print to PS2 language so all applications use PS2? Or is there a converter that will convert print jobs to PS2 and send them to the printer?

Yes, yes, I know, I’m cheap and should just get a new printer, but this is a great printer and I’ve got toners for it to last years, so I’d like to keep it.

Thanks in advance!

On 2013-03-18 12:26, shane2943 wrote:
>
> Hi everyone!
>
> I have an older printer that I use (Lexmark Optra S 1855) and it
> doesn’t do PS3 or PCL6. So when I try to print something that is PS3
> (like a web page from Firefox for example), the printer just spits out a
> blank page, or none at all. I can manually set OpenOffice and Adobe
> Reader to PS2 and it prints fine, but is there a way to globally force
> CUPS to print to PS2 language so all applications use PS2? Or is there
> a converter that will convert print jobs to PS2 and send them to the
> printer?

IMHO, it should be the printer driver which specifies to CUPS that it is
PS2 only.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Printing webpages is a pain. I have to print to PDF file and save that, then open that in Adobe Reader and change the language level to 2 from 3, and then it will print. Printing other things is similar. :frowning:

AFAIU, the PPD you have for your printer (in /etc/cups/ppd/ directory) should explicitly define the postscript level for your printer, and CUPS should handle the postscript conversion automatically. So, if anything, I’d be looking closely at the PPD file first.

On 2013-03-18 20:46, deano ferrari wrote:

> AFAIU, the PPD you have for your printer (in /etc/cups/ppd/ directory)
> should explicitly define the postscript level for your printer, and CUPS
> should handle the postscript conversion automatically. So, if anything,
> I’d be looking closely at the PPD file first.

For example, my “cp1510n_ps.ppd” contains:


*LanguageLevel:         "3"

So if I wanted postscript level 2 I could simply edit it there.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

So I opened the PPD file for my printer in kwrite and did find a line that stated “Language_Level=3” I changed that to “2” and all seems to be well now! I can print web pages and all that fine without having to jump through hoops!

Thanks!

On 2013-03-21 13:06, shane2943 wrote:
>
> So I opened the PPD file for my printer in kwrite and did find a line
> that stated “Language_Level=3” I changed that to “2” and all seems to
> be well now! I can print web pages and all that fine without having to
> jump through hoops!
>
> Thanks!

Welcome :slight_smile:

Take a note of this for when it happens on the next system you install -
in a year or so you will need to install again with the same problem :slight_smile:

I often forget these things and have to ask again in here, and then
somebody points me to the thread where I asked the previous year O:-)

Maybe it is a bug in the ppd. If it says that it is for that specific
printer model, you should report the error in bugzilla.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)