Font Problem in File System Dolphin/Konqueror

Ok, I haven’t found any posts that address my problem directly or indirectly. First of all, I am having a lot of problems after upgrading to 11.1 – kaffeine is unstable, can’t rip DVDs in k3b, etc. But this is probably my fault for not writing down my old configuration beforehand. Ugh, I hate redoing everything on a fresh installation.

My font problems though are particularly frustrating. First, they were ugly, but with some tweaking and help from the forums I solved this for the most part though I’m still not back to my system looking as good as it did.

Now, something I have just noticed today. When trying to access a folder that has an accented character in either Dolphin or Konqueror it shows a question mark inside a diamond for the accented character and says that the folder doesn’t exist and its contents are empty. However, the same folder shows up fine on my external hard drive. And the folder on my internal hard drive (and its contents) shows up when I access it from the terminal. Also, the folders were probably created under Windows, moved to an external HD, then moved to Linux. I don’t know how long these folders have been inaccessible, but I think everything was fine under 11.0.

I am using Suse 11.1 and KDE 4.1.3. My system fonts are mostly Trebuchet. Anyone have any idea what’s going on?

I updated to 11.1 and got lots of font problems, too. It seems every program uses different fonts and/or sizes.

Can you please describe or point me to helpful topics where I can read what you did to partially solve your issues?

Sure thing. Here are some good places to start.

Good openSUSE page on MS fonts if that’s what you’re after.

I also found this Ugly fonts thread to be useful.

Lots of info here, but you should be able to mess around with your config and get it back to looking decent. Good luck. Post your results if you have any luck, as I’m just here to learn!

Until now I had no luck.
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: fontscu0.png
The font rendering itself seems to be fine, but no program (except the title bar) seems to follow the KDE4-settings for style and (especially) size.

I can confirm font setting from KDE4 don’t affect GTK apps.
By default both are the same, so there is no problem, but if you want to change them… I will open a bug report.

I partially fixed my problem. :good: Previously I had a good looking openSUSE 11.0 with KDE and gnome. I updated by formating / and installing a new openSUSE 11.1 but at the same time keeping the /home tree and I did chose to not install gnome this time.

Thus, essential gnome packages like gnome-control-center and the gnome-settings-daemon were not installed. After installing them (and a lot of other packages due to dependency) and configuring fonts in the gnome control center to the same settings as in KDE, they look a lot better.

Still, there is a visual difference between applications, e.g. YaST2 and firefox.

Firefox has it’s own way of handling fonts, picking another theme for it might help.

YaST needs to be run as root so you’ll need to change settings of your root user.