Followed the audio troubleshooting, yast was unable to add back the card after deleting it

I’ve installed over Windows completely, and have disabled quick boot in the BIOS.

Ok, let’s see what Lee (oldcpu) might next suggest. Unfortunately, the hardware associated with ‘Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio [8086:9d70]’ seems to have problems for many Linux users, as evident by the numerous threads and bug reports that come up in a search. It may be that the vendor BIOS is contributing to the problem here.

I did have sound on this laptop previously (running Arch), but then it stopped working after an update and I’ve decided to switch to OpenSuse, where it didn’t work out of the box. Hopefully, we would make it work again - the fact that it used to work gives me hope.

Yes, the essence of the problem is

snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0:    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)

Perhaps check your BIOS for any sound related settings. At least one user I read about found that they needed to enable ‘Intel Smart Sound’ (or similar) in the advanced settings. Of course this will be vendor-speciifc, but worth exploring.

Nothing sound related in the BIOS…

Anything can happen: snd_hda_intel: Cannot probe codecs, giving up

Which sof_firmware version did you install ? Do you still have that sof_firmware installed? or did you subsequently remove it when it did not seem to help?

I still have sof-firmware installed. The version is the latest tumbleweed:

Information for package sof-firmware:
-------------------------------------
Repository     : Main Repository (OSS)
Name           : sof-firmware
Version        : 2.2.2-1.1
Arch           : noarch
Vendor         : openSUSE
Installed Size : 13.2 MiB
Installed      : Yes
Status         : up-to-date
Source package : sof-firmware-2.2.2-1.1.src
Upstream URL   : https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin
Summary        : Firmware Data Files for SOF Drivers
Description    : 
    Various firmware data files for SOF drivers.

First, I note earlier in your post, you reported:
... The kernel module snd-soc-skl for sound support could not be loaded. This can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. ....

Is that still the case? Or has that been addressed?

According to your latest “alsa-info.sh” script output, “snd_soc_skl” kernel module is loaded.

… Further the alsa-info script output in your first post had no sof_firmware installed (from what I can read) and had a LOT of dmesg errors, but your more recent alsa-info script output has no such dmesg errors, and it indicates sof_firmware installed. Also your more recent alsa-info indicates sound card detected but the initial stated no sound card detected. What things have you done to the PC to change this configuration. … Trying to figure out your PC, when not in front of it, when the configuration is changing, is difficult for me.

Now I note your PC has a Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio 8086:9d70 which has reportedly working with Linux kernel versions going back some time ( reference: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio )

I note per your post, and per the alsa-info script output, that the rpm sof-firmware is installed: " sof-firmware-2.2.2-1.1.noarch " … I also note sof kernel modules are loaded:

snd_sof
snd_sof_intel_hda
snd_sof_intel_hda_common
snd_sof_pci
snd_sof_pci_intel_skl
snd_sof_utils  **<<<<<<<<< MY laptop doesn't have this.**
snd_sof_xtensa_dsp

Still, aspects of your setup puzzle me when I compare to my (albeit different hardware in with my laptop running an older kernel and my laptop using the 1.8 sof_firmware ). My hardware for my Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-9 is different, although it too needs ‘sof_firmware’. My setup does not load the kernel module snd_sof_utils, and it puzzles me why yours does have that module loaded as opposed to mine does not have it loaded.

My PC has entries in the dmesg about sof_firmware loading:

[    4.600591] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware info: version 1:8:0-9e7a8
[    4.600596] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware: ABI 3:18:1 Kernel ABI 3:18:0

Yet your recent alsa-info dmesg has no such corresponding entries … although your PC does have the sof_firmware kernel modules loaded. Those differences puzzle me. Why no dmesg entries?

I don’t know enough about the 6.1.0-1-default kernel to assess if the sof-firmware-2.2.2-1.1.noarch is the correct firmware for that kernel.

I have read, as I type this, ( Releases · thesofproject/sof · GitHub ) that v.2.2.3 is the latest sof_firmware, so you could try a newer version of sof_firmware.

None of that information tells me your PC issue. Its possible you simply have a corrupt kernel install, or a corrupt sof_firmware install.

Its also possible this is NOT a sof_firmware issue.

Could you also try this test command:

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

Does that yield any sound ?

… also, in case the implementation (between openSUSE and ArchLinux matters) could you try this in your grub boot:

snd-intel-dspcfg.dsp_driver=1

then reboot and test that (its a different way to implement a suggestion that you were previously given). If it doesn’t work (to give your PC sound) then remove that.

Yes, when I try to edit my card in yast → hardware → sound (it shows as not configured, and asks me to click edit) - I still get the exact same error.

I have installed the sof-firmware package and restarted the computer. I’m not sure which made that change, the restart or the installation of sof-firmware, but after these two actions the alsa-info had changed to recognize my sound card. Although the internal speakers are still not working (while mic and headphones do - don’t know if they did before that restart)

I have tried multiple kernels and sound configurations just to what works by using different distros - tried openMandriva, MX Linux, Manjaro, Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.10 and Fedora 37 - all of them did not have sound in live session (hadn’t tried installing them, as I prefer openSuse anyway).

So the only distro I was able to have sound with was Arch, and even that broke… Maybe I’d try installing Windows just to make sure it still works there to rule out it’s the hardware that broke.

I’ll try that grub flag and get back to you on these results, then try windows.

I suspect a combination. My experience is if a sound card configuration has been removed via YaST, subsequently after a reboot the sound card can be seen again in YaST for editing/configuring. I suspect by installing sof_firmware you were able to remove the ‘dmesg’ errors. … It does thou read that both of those activities were not enough to restore your sound.

I am interested to learn if the grub entry change helped, and also if the ‘aplay’ command I suggested to try yielded any sound.

I am reviewing again the alsa-info.sh script output that you provided. I note this:

!!Sound Servers on this system
!!----------------------------

PipeWire:
      Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pipewire)
      Running - Yes

No sound servers found.

We have guests visiting our place at present, and I am not able to access my desktop PC that has Tumbleweed running, but I ask myself, is that normal? There is no mention of ‘pulse audio’ and the script states ‘no sound servers found’. I ask myself, if that is an issue?

Can one of the other openSUSE users monitoring this thread, who have Tumbleweed running, advise if that is normal behaviour? (ie no pulse audio mentioned and ‘no sound servers found’)?

@oldcpu yes, Tumbleweed use pipewire by default these days.

Yes, that is normal output for those using pipewire. (I’m using openSUSE Leap 15.4 with KDE and am also using pipewire.)

The grub flag didn’t change anything noticeable, and the aplay line says it plays, but I don’t hear it on the speakers. I can hear it if I plug the headphones.

What if you start the sound-extra

sudo systemctl start sound-extra.service

You can also do it via yast2 sevices manager

I doubt that will help. This is a low-level audio (firmware, kernel, or hardware related) issue.

When nothing helps me, I try any thing about sound :grinning:
According to sevices manager it is " Load extra kernel module for sound stuff"
So what are this extra modules?

Typically, if you can hear sound with headphones, but not with speakers, it is one of two problems:

1. your mixer or the piperwire equivalent (?) of pulse audio volume control is blocking your audio to your speakers, … or

2. there is an issue with the kernel with your hardware.

I still can’t access my Tumbleweed PC (to refresh my memory) due to guests using the room where that PC is located, so unfortunately I can’t bring myself up to date wrt pipewire to offer suggestions - but there (pipewire) is where I would focus initially if it were me (assuming mixer setup ok).

If alsa can’t produce audible sound to the speakers, then pipewire (high-level media server) won’t either.

IMHO an openSUSE bug report is required.