Fn Key Not working on my new Keyboard

I received a new “AmazonBasics” keyboard yesterday for my Desktop PC that has an “Fn” key on it (like Laptops do), and it appears that openSUSE KDE 12.3.9 is not recognizing the key when I try to set the keys for their intended purposes when trying to set the shortcuts in the System Systems -> Shortcuts and Gentures Dialogs. Does openSUSE just not recognize the “Fn” key, do I need to download something, or what?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 06:46:01 +0000, Star Gazer wrote:

> I received a new “AmazonBasics” keyboard yesterday for my Desktop PC
> that has an “Fn” key on it (like Laptops do), and it appears that
> openSUSE KDE 12.3.9 is not recognizing the key when I try to set the
> keys for their intended purposes when trying to set the shortcuts in the
> System_Systems->Shortcuts_and_Gentures Dialogs. Does openSUSE just
> not recognize the “Fn” key, do I need to download something, or what?

The Fn key works fine on my laptop. I assume you mean “openSUSE
12.3” (there’s no such version as 12.3.9 - that’s not how openSUSE
versions are structured), and I also assume when you say “for their
intended purposes”, you mean things like turning the volume up and down
and such.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On a hp it is done in the bios, something called action mode key. You have to enable it.
Not sure if you have this in your machine bios setting.

Well, I do have a new laptop my mom bought me, but haven’t yet installed openSUSE on it yet – I’m trying to understand the mechanics of the system (I really don’t like that Windows 8 pre-installed on it) . The new keyboard is for my Desktop PC.

On the version number, I upgraded my openSUSE last week and got a dialog of “Release Notes” (which when copied into LibreOffice Writer, is 7 pages long), and here is a snippet of the 1st part of the text:openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes
Version: 12.3.9 (2013-05-28)
Copyright © 2013 Novell, Inc.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free ,

So I got the “version” # from openSUSE itself here :wink: I wanted to note that just in case it might be of relevance, like say, maybe the “Fn” might have worked before this “2013-05-28” release?].

Thanks – I’ll check the MSI Bios settings - don’t have a brand name for my system since it is custom built over the years. There’s only 4 keys (FUNCTION KEYS) that appear to co-relate with the “Fn” … I was kind of hoping to be able to use the “Fn” as an extra key for some customizable multiple key sequences.

Cliff

On 2013-06-19 09:06, Star Gazer wrote:

> So I got the “version” # from openSUSE itself here :wink: I wanted to note
> that just in case it might be of relevance, like say, maybe the “Fn”
> might have worked before this “2013-05-28” release?].

Do this:


cer@Telcontar:~> cat /etc/SuSE-release ; echo ; cat /etc/SuSE-brand
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64)
VERSION = 12.3
CODENAME = Dartmouth

openSUSE
VERSION = 12.3
cer@Telcontar:~>

That’s the version.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Okay, I just loaded up Amarok, and tested the 4 Fn+co-related Function keys, and all 4 of them DO work in the manners they are “intended” to work. Thanks Folks! :slight_smile:

Cliff

It is usually common for a software to have a sub-minor number, (I was a programmer for my own stuff created for personal uses and I see all the other software versions) and usually only supply the Major Version #, or the Major Version and Minor Version, while others choose to include a 3rd # (that was is generally known to represent the “build #”, which in the case of the openSUSE 2013-05-28 release, the “9” probably represents the build #; and this update employs some dramatic changes to files (updates, and upgrades to various software packages), i.e. this case the KDE was updated to version 4.10.3 “Release 1”, files were moved (at least one, which I’ll note here), and so on – this build was certainty a MAJOR Update - I have encountered problems with this new build (digikam 3.3.0 won’t load, and Amarok pops up error messages, Virtual Desktops acting funny, and so on. The release notes of this update is 7 pages long (with 5 sections) in ODT format – excerpt I said I’ll provide:

                    **5.5. GTK+ Applications Output a Fontconfig Warning**

Because the location of the fontconfig files was changed, Emacs and other applications linked against GTK+ output warning messages when started.
Move the files to the new location:
mkdir -p ~/.config/fontconfig
mv ~/.fonts.conf ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf

This “update” did take longer to download that usual.

12.3.9 is the version number of the release notes, not the openSUSE version. That is 12.3, even with all updates installed…

Also packages are updated individually. So there is no general openSUSE build number, each package has its own.

Understood; thanks for the clarification :wink:

Cliff

Re-posting, as it did not make to the web-side.

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:48:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2013-06-19 21:56, Star Gazer wrote:
>>
>> robin_listas;2565865 Wrote:
>
>>> Do this:
>
>>> Code: --------------------
>>> > >
>>> > cer@Telcontar:~> cat /etc/SuSE-release ; echo ; cat
>>> > /etc/SuSE-brand openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64)
>>> > VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
>>> >
>>> > openSUSE VERSION = 12.3 cer@Telcontar:~>
>>> > >
>>> Code: --------------------
>
>> It is usually common for a software to have a sub-minor number, (I was
>> a programmer for my own stuff created for personal uses and I see all
>> the other software versions) and usually only supply the Major Version
> #, or the Major Version and Minor Version, while others choose to
>> include a 3rd # (that was is generally known to represent the “build
> #”, which in the case of the openSUSE 2013-05-28 release, the “9”
>> probably represents the build #;
>
> Nope.
>
> openSUSE versions are found as I told you above. The numbers are fixed
> in advance, they were decided in a vote some time ago, following the
> sequence 11.4, 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, 14.1, 14.2… etc.
> There are no minor/major numbers, they are all numbers with the same
> arbitrary significance. Confusing, I know.
>
> That 12.3.9 you see is version 9 of the 12.3 release notes, not the
> 12.3.9 openSUSE version.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)