flatpack and flathub

I discovered it today here and looked also here, it seems a fantastic way to have a lot of application software.
…where is the catch??lol! or there is no catch and everything is good??
reading that it needs GNOME, does it works on KDE too??
manythanks, ciao :slight_smile: pier

As well as opensuse, I have kde neon on my 2nd system. kde neon gives you the latest plasma software but uses an ubuntu base, from a few years ago, for the other software. I wanted to update vlc on this system to the recent version 3 release as the the version included (and in the repo) is an elderly 2.2.2. Anyway I just did the command:

snap install vlc

in a terminal window and job done. No fuss or dependancies.

The only catches that I have come across is that the installation is not shown in the system packgage management programme ‘discover’ (a poor mans yast) and I now have two versions of vlc installed. I thought not a problem I will just use discover and uninstall the earlier vlc version. This option wasn’t available as 75% of the kde neon system depends on vlc being installed.

Some drawbacks:

• size of snap/flatpack package
  • probably it’s harder to verify whether or not it contains some rouge software

More on size discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4o4u2h/snap_package_size/

Having said that I think it’s a great way for Linux to move forward. For me it’s like one package manager to rule all distros hopefully making it easier and giving more incentive for developers to actually release their software for Linux.

One catch:
Because MonoDevelop is packaged as flatpack package and basically runs in a container, it does not detect the installed dotnet SDK. So if I want newer mono and dotnet versions to work with MonoDevelop, I have to wait for a new flatpack…Not a great way to develop stuff.

Most people seem to think this is the best way to develop stuff :slight_smile: this is why microservices are so hot now. Also for example Openshift used to install etcd to manage itself and now it distributes etcd as a container. CoreOS is another example and so on.

is the best way for a simple user, it match the things that a simple user want, is simple to find and install and to get rid of it, it works out of the box, is the last version. if an advanced user don’t like flatpack he is an advanced user so he has skills to get the best software for him in rpm or compile or in the usual way as now…