Flash Player 10 on 11.1

Hey all!
I’ve been trying to get flash player to work for a little over a week now. Can you help me?

Whenever I run flashplayer in bash it just spits out:
WARNING: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING set and it is not UTF-8
Segmentation fault

Not surprisingly, the player doesn’t load in Firefox.

The output of ldd shows that all of the libraries are there (“ldd which flashplayer | grep not” shows no output) and YaST doesn’t say I am missing any dependencies.

I’m running 64-bit OpenSuSE 11.1

Hope you can help!

To begin, some questions:
What version of flash player do you have installed? Did you install it through the repos, or have you downloaded and installed it from Adobe’s website yourself?

I see you are running 64-bit Opensuse. Are you running the 32-bit version of flash? If so, are you running it with a 32-bit version of firefox, or are you trying to use the nspluginwrapper to run it in 64-bit firefox? Or are you running the 64-bit alpha version of flash?

su terminal

zypper in flash-player

It’s the 32-bit version of flash, running under nspluginwrapper in 64-bit firefox.

flash-player:10.0.22.87-0.1.1-i586 from repo-update
nspluginwrapper:1.2.2-2.1.1-x86_64 from repo-update

@caf4962: zypper replied that I already had the package installed and exited with a “nothing to do.”

What do you mean by this? Do you mean you launch Firefox from terminal, go to a website with flash and view the output? Or are you doing something different?

What version of firefox are you running (3.0.11, 3.5 etc…)?

What repositories do you have enabled? Post the output to:

zypper lr

It’s the actual command flashplayer:

cody@home:~>flashplayer
WARNING: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING set and it is not UTF-8
Segmentation fault
cody@home:~>

I am running Firefox 3.0.12

#  | Alias                    | Name                                    | Enabled | Refresh
---+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------+---------+--------
1  | KDE:KDE4:Community       | KDE:KDE4:Community                      | Yes     | Yes
2  | KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop | KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop                | Yes     | Yes
3  | KDE:Qt                   | KDE:Qt                                  | Yes     | Yes
4  | Libdvdcss repository     | Libdvdcss repository                    | Yes     | Yes
5  | My_Downloaded_RPMs       | My Downloaded RPMs                      | Yes     | Yes
6  | NVIDIA Repository        | NVIDIA Repository                       | Yes     | Yes
7  | Packman Repository       | Packman Repository                      | Yes     | Yes
8  | devel:gcc                | devel:gcc                               | Yes     | Yes
9  | home:Akoellh             | home:Akoellh                            | Yes     | Yes
10 | home:cfeck               | home:cfeck                              | Yes     | Yes
11 | home:deanjo13            | home:deanjo13                           | Yes     | Yes
12 | home:dgege:g15tools      | home:dgege:g15tools                     | Yes     | Yes
13 | home:nesnomis:games      | home:nesnomis:games                     | Yes     | Yes
14 | openSUSE 11.1-0          | openSUSE 11.1-0                         | Yes     | No
15 | openSUSE:Factory:Contrib | openSUSE:Factory:Contrib                | Yes     | Yes
16 | repo                     | openSUSE BuildService - Wine CVS Builds | Yes     | Yes
17 | repo-debug               | openSUSE-11.1-Debug                     | No      | Yes
18 | repo-non-oss             | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss                   | Yes     | Yes
19 | repo-oss                 | openSUSE-11.1-Oss                       | Yes     | Yes
20 | repo-source              | openSUSE-11.1-Source                    | No      | Yes
21 | repo-update              | openSUSE-11.1-Update                    | Yes     | Yes
22 | repo_1                   | VideoLan Repository                     | Yes     | Yes
23 | security:privacy         | security:privacy                        | Yes     | Yes

Note that My Downloaded RPM’s only contains CrossOver and the proprietary VirtualBox RPM’s. Nothing that I can imagine would be related to Firefox, nspluginwrapper, or the Flash Player.

su terminal

zypper in nspluginwrapper

what happens

Not much, sadly.

cody@home:~> sudo zypper in nspluginwrapper
root's password:
Retrieving repository 'My Downloaded RPMs' metadata [done]
Retrieving repository 'Packman Repository' metadata [done]
Building repository 'Packman Repository' cache [done]
Retrieving repository 'home:Akoellh' metadata [done]
Building repository 'home:Akoellh' cache [done]
Retrieving repository 'openSUSE:Factory:Contrib' metadata [done]
Building repository 'openSUSE:Factory:Contrib' cache [done]
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
'nspluginwrapper' is already installed.
Resolving package dependencies...
Nothing to do.

Please do this.
Open Yast - Software Management
Search for: flash
Take a screenshot and post a link here

Gladly,
Here is the link: http://i28.tinypic.com/29c6ob6.jpg

When you look at flash-player in Yast like in the pic. If you go to the versions tab. Is it the _64 bit that you are running?

No. It says: “10.0.22.87-0.1.1-i586 (installed)”

OK
In the Versions tab you need to switch it to _64, because IIRC you are _64 OS and your FFox is _64 is it not?

EDIT:
Rubbish. There is not _64 flash available yet - sorry. Brain freeze - too many helps on the go at one time

Haha. No problem. Any other ideas?

Unless I am missing something flash should work.
In FF. when you go to Tools - Add-ons
Does it show flash in there?

It does, indeed. From about:plugins :

Shockwave Flash
File name: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22

EDIT:
If you want to see what I see when I try to see a flash movie: http://i28.tinypic.com/io3go9.jpg

Try this
Yast-Software Management
Search: flash

From the menu ‘Package’ at top of screen
select **Update all in this list Unconditionally **(hope you use kde as this is not avail in gnome) you would have to mark each manually in gnome unless you switch your UI to QT

I am indeed on KDE.

I am sorry to report that even after restarting firefox, the situation has not improved, I still see gray boxes where I wish there were a flash movie.

What about flash in Konqueror or Opera?

I don’t have Opera, but konqueror is not working either. I think I’ll sleep on it(It is 1:00 AM where I am) and see if I get any epiphanies tomorrow.