Fixing vista multiboot with openSUSE

Sverdna, thank you very much for your sticky Fixing vista multiboot with openSUSE - openSUSE Forums. It just saved me from dropping back to 11.0 in a new install.

The steps 1 and 2 you outlined for 11.0 worked perfectly well in 11.1, no need for step 3.

The “loss” of the bootloader occurred because of the removal of a backup disk. Before that I did reboot a few times without problem.

Curiously, although the main drive was connected to SATA1 and the backup to SATA2, they where set up as /sdb (main) and /sda (backup). WTF?. After removing /sda, the main drive became /sda. But the bootloader uses the brand/part name combination, so I this shouldn’t stop grub from loading, at least. Now, could it be that the order was set by the drive names, as the main is a samsung and the backup a maxtor (M comes before S)?

Also, before checking your sticky (which I should have done first of all - dumb me) I tried to set the mbr back using a DOS disk and fdisk /mbr. I understand that yast rewrote this with grub, but now when booting to windows it gives me two identical entries for XP I have to choose from (not in grub, in windows, similar to the safe mode option when windows abends). The first boot windows, the second gives me a black screen. I’m inclined to reinstall the **** thing (only because my wife needs IE for a couple sites), but I’m not sure this would solve it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Now I just have to figure out the ATI driver installation (a PITA) and why, oh why, at the grub screen my keyboard defaults to Czech…

But again thank you very much, you saved me from a lot of frustration and pain :slight_smile:

Well, you have been on a long journey through bootland. Glad it’s working for you. regarding the two entries in xp’s bootloader, boot.ini. You can edit one of those out if you wish. Just backup the windows file boot.ini to boot.ini.bak and edit the file boot.ini and remove the spurious entry. If you don’t know which is the spurious entry or how to edit so it’s not damaged, post the file here and tell me which of the two lines in the menu is the good one, the top one in the menu or the bottom one in the menu. Or just put up w it. No need to reinstall though.

I couldn’t agree more. Kudos, swerdna!rotfl!

I went one better. I followed the instructions before I had a problem. During the install, opensuse wanted to put grub in the suse boot partition. I unchecked that box and checked the box for MBR. Opensuse and Vista are working happily together, right from the start.

Thanks, that did the trick.

Maybe this should go into a sticky for new users, specially those dual-booting (which I suppose most new desktop system users are).