Fixing "Authorization Dialog" bug in Samba for 11.2

Status as at 15 April 2010: this fix is no longer required. The repaired RPMs are now distributed through Yast Online Updates, so you can use the normal online update processes to fix the bug

In late March 2010 some update packages for Samba were released through the Online Update repositories. They result in calls to Samba in Network Browsers failing to return icons displaying the machines on the local LAN. The problem occurs in bot Gnome and KDE desktop environments. Instead a window requiring a username and password appears, like this screenshot:

http://forums.opensuse.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=686&stc=1&d=1270015606

I’ve written this based on my 64 bit laptop; 32 bit users can make a few mental adjustments.

You can tell if you have updated to the faulty Samba RPMs by checking your files with this command:

rpm -qa | grep samba

The RPMs you will see if you haven’t installed the updates will be like these:

samba-client-3.4.2-1.1.3.1.x86_64
samba-3.4.2-1.1.3.1.x86_64
samba-client-32bit-3.4.2-1.1.3.1.x86_64

But if you have the faulty files you will see a return like this:

samba-client-32bit-3.4.3-3.2.1.x86_64
samba-client-3.4.3-3.2.1.x86_64
samba-3.4.3-3.2.1.x86_64

You can fix the problem by upgrading Samba. Here’s how: GoTo Yast → Software → Software Repositories and click the Add button to add the Samba RPM repository for openSUSE 11.2. Choose to “Specify URL” and use this address:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/samba:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.2

After that, use this particular method to upgrade the Samba RPMs: GoTo Yast → Software → Software Management. Switch the “View” mode to “Repositories” and Highlight the new Samba repository. Use the GUI to switch the installed packages to the ones in the new Samba repository.
KDE users can use the GUI one-click link to “switch system packages to versions in the Samba Repo”.
Gnome users can click the “Installed” button and individually click to upgrade the RPMs.

Here’s a list of what I saw/upgraded:


cifs-mount
libldb0
libsmbclient0
libtalloc2
libdb1   (and libdb1-32bit for 64 bit openSUSErs)
libtevent0
libwbclient0   (and libwbclient0-32bit for 64 bit openSUSErs)
samba
samba-client   (and samba-client-32bit for 64 bit openSUSErs)

You may be asked to approve a number of other changes that will be effected to satisfy dependency issues. That’s OK, go ahead.

You can check your samba RPMs with this command after you run the update:

rpm -qa | grep samba

I got this result:

samba-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
samba-client-32bit-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
samba-client-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64

If you want a full check, run this (use copy/paste maybe):

rpm -qa | egrep "cifs-mount|libldb0|libsmbclient0|libtalloc2|libtdb1|libtevent0|libwbclient0|samba|samba-client"

I get this:

libtalloc2-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
samba-client-32bit-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64 (64 bit only)
libtdb1-32bit-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64 (64 bit only)
cifs-mount-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
yast2-samba-client-2.18.3-2.2.noarch (irrelevant)
libtdb1-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
samba-client-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
libtevent0-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
yast2-samba-server-2.18.2-2.1.noarch (irrelevant)
libwbclient0-32bit-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64 (64 bit only)
samba-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
libldb0-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
libsmbclient0-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64
libwbclient0-3.5.2-1.1.x86_64

That should fix the problem (after a reboot).

I also removed


libtalloc1

which was in the Opensuse update repo

& replaced it with


libtalloc2

from the samba repo.
libtalloc1 is not available in the samba repo.

There is an update for samaba awaiting approval for the update repo to fix the issue & should be added shortly if you do not want to change to the samba repo.

samba 3.4.3 is now in the update repo and fixes the above issues.

Thanks for the heads up.

worked perfectlylol! thanks !!!

Excellent ice2921.

Which reminds me: this bug will fade quickly with time because the buggy RPMs are no longer finding their way to users (because they’ve been changed). So I’ve also “unstuck” the sticky thread.