First results

So I finally got HBasic to build and work successfully.

Unfortunately it builds only for OpenSUSE 11.0 32-bit. Can you please review the package and give me any advices on improvement? I also can give you access rights to my home project so you could make changes.

The package OBS page is here: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=hbasic&project=home%3AAnsus

I have tried to install it. Unfortunately it creates no menu items but runs well from the console.

Can anybody please give me an advice on how to make it appear in the menu and to build successfully for other releases and architectures?

As for the desktop menu: have a look at package mjpg-streamer in my home directory https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Avodoo. It has a trivial desktop icon and could serve you as some “hello world” example.

Hi
You can also add one in the spec file with the cat command. Also it
needs to follow this;
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Package_Conventions/Desktop_Menu

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
up 11 days 18:55, 4 users, load average: 0.35, 0.44, 0.36
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53

I had a quick look at hbasic. As it appears this package has not been maintained since early 2007. It links against KDE 3.x libraries. I feel you are in d-e-e-p s-h-i-t here (sorry for the wording, but that’s how I would feel with this project), as you would have to provide the whole environment which is no longer available in the current release.

If you really want to bite the bullet then disable building for all repos except 11.0 which almost works and clean up your package to eliminate all those rpmlint warnings and errors you still have. Tweak configure to respect the file hierarchy standard and make a separate -devel package for the static libraries. Aim for 0 errors and 0 warnings. Then you can go one step further.

There is no short cut here. Compile your app locally on a current system before burning buildservice CPU cycles. Then build locally using the build environment. You will have to provide some required -devel packages which are no longer available. It will be a long way.

Good luck and have fun!

as you would have to provide the whole environment which is no longer available in the current release.

No, it does not require KDE3 really. Configure has an option for building with or without KDE3 (it of course requires Qt3 as Gambas does). Besides this KDE3 base libraries currently included in 11.2 and Factory so no problem here.

Tweak configure to respect the file hierarchy standard

This is the most difficult part. Seems hbasic consists of the basic part and ERP/database access part. While the basic part is relatively simple to make comply with the directory standards, the ERP part is a mess, it also has many compilation errors. I am now considering to cut the ERP part away completely.

You will have to provide some required -devel packages which are no longer available. It will be a long way.

It compiles on 11.1 as well, but the rpmlint says it does not respect the file hierarchy standards.

thank you all, these helped me too

You can also add one in the spec file with the cat command.

I have tried in the new package abs exactly what you did in the wings package and it does not work. I am in the frustration: I copy-pasted exactly the same cat command and .desktop file but the system cannot find it and reports error: https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=abs.spec&package=abs&project=home%3AAnsus

Hi
You need to add the -i option to install

%suse_update_desktop_file -i %{name}

You also need to patch the relevant Makefile so the doc location is
%{_docdir}

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
up 1 day 23:09, 2 users, load average: 1.49, 1.17, 0.63
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53

It seems it even does not do this script altogether. It does not recognoze the EOF tag and anything after cat to the end of the section is ignored (or written to the file)! I wonder, why? I tried both -i and -n options, but the shell does not even process this line.

Just retyped the EOF tag by hand and now it does recognize it. Possibly there were some invisible characters?..

I install the icons in the following locations:

cp -p install_dir/menu/hbasic_16.png %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/icons/locolor/16x16/apps/hbasic.png
cp -p install_dir/menu/hbasic_32.png %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/icons/locolor/32x32/apps/hbasic.png
cp -p install_dir/menu/hbasic_16.png %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/hbasic.png
cp -p install_dir/menu/hbasic_32.png %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/hbasic.png
cp -p install_dir/menu/hbasic_48.png %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/hbasic.png

They really installed there but the menu item appears without any icon. In the desktop file the following string is related to icons:

Icon=hbasic

I wonder why the system cannot find the image file in this case.