First impression after clean install

I’m still using openSuse 13.2 & KDE but wanted to try Leap 42.2 & KDE so I installed it on a separate partition using ext4 fs.

Desktop effects are disabled.
Installed the “fetchmsfonts”.
8 MB RAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor
AMD Radeon with stock opensource driver.

First impressions:

1. Fonts are extremely blurry. I had to manually change the fonts to Sans Serif in order to get them sharp like with 13.2.
    Fonts in Firefox were still blurry, fixed that by changing the fonts to Sans Serif in GTK application style settings.
    Unfortunately, Kate, my favorite text editor for programming, shows extremely blurry text in the editor.
    The text in Kate’s menu is ok…

2. Windows are opening after a small delay. It’s just not snappy.

3. Kwin crashes when using a program I programmed myself in Qt4. Application doesn’t crash, just Kwin.
    Application works fine on many other computers without KDE5. Filed a bugreport.

4. I can’t find a way in System Settings to disable Apper from starting.

My verdict: not ready for professional use.

I’m not sure what you did there. With a clean install here, I am seeing sans serif fonts. However, I did not install “fetchmsfonts”. Perhaps that caused your problems.

1. I can’t find a way in System Settings to disable Apper from starting.

That’s weird. I cannot even find “Apper” on my system. And it is not in the repos either. I’m wondering how it is starting when it doesn’t even exist.

Yes, there is an update applet, though it is not “Apper”. I turned that off in “System Tray Settings”.

My verdict: not ready for professional use.

My verdict – I have no idea what you did. My system is very different from what you describe.

There’s no apper indeed. I meant software update applet/plasmoid whatever…
Anyway, thanks for helping finding where to disable it.
It’s weird that this setting is in such a strange place. It should be in system settings.
By the way, when I opened the tray settings dialog, Kwin crashed again…

I wrote what I did: I did a clean install of openSuse Leap 42.2.

So far it looks that, once again, KDE/Plasma has been released way to early…
Sad fact is that KDE is never finished. They start a new major version before fixing all the bugs of the former version.
I understand that this a project run by volunteers and that they prefer to create new “features” instead of testing and
removing bugs but for the end user (or at least for me) it’s quiet annoying.
I’m a long time KDE user (since SuSE 8) and I’m a bit disappointed about this.
A bit of googling shows that I’m not the only one.

The Kwin crashing is possibly related to your graphics card. I’ve had similar issues with nouveau graphics (nvidia card). My main desktop has Intel graphics, and is not having that problem.

I don’t think so. It’s a Qt5 and/or KDE Plasma 5 bug. Have a look here:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=361236

Another proof that openSuse shipped KDE Plasma 5 way too early without testing it properly.

Could we ship a new Leap 42.2 LTS where KDE4 is the default please?

Could it be that this is partly because SuSE has payed programmers to improve Gnome but not for KDE?

Maybe SuSE should fire the Gnome programmers, hire KDE programmers and turn it into a KDE distro again like it was in the past.

All sweet here

Not yet installed, I’m waiting for a few weeks to do it. It seems there are many issues after reading some posts in several forums.

So, question: have developers already tested the install process or the upgrade process before releasing Leap 42.2?

All well here, even on my wife’s little linux killer ( first time on the Acer I performed a stock install and everything worked OOTB ).

The rest of your questions: Please get informed, KDE4 is dead ( according to kde.org ), the other things are a misconception of how things work.

Agree 100%.
I have just installed Leap 42.2 as a clean install as well and it was horror. >:) Happily I made backup of my previous OS’es which I could recover very easily afterwards. :slight_smile:
Just as Teuniz wrote, Kwin crashed multiple times. This started after I installed the Nvidia driver and wanted to reboot to make it active. The (if I remembered the name) “farewell greeter” crashed and didn’t let me reboot.
When things go wrong straight from the start then I don’t want to continue anymore. I don’t want to setup an OS on something which is not stable from the start. Who knows what else I can expect.
So, I placed my ReDo Backup and Recover CD back in the drive and recovered my OS’es from the NAS, which run fine again as if nothing happened.

Since the one I use now also uses KDE 5, I wonder if KDE is the one to blame here. I do agree with Teuniz KDE5 is released way too early. They should have kept it a secret much longer and tested it completely before announcing and, because people wanted it, releasing it.
Think this is the same as what happend with OpenSuse. Shame. Sure wanted to give it another try. But I’m back at the DEB camp again.
Will follow OpenSuse to see if things get any better so I can try it again.

I just did my clean install and for the most part things look good. Using Gnome with INTEL graphics, i5 processor on a Lenovo T440P. My only little bother is my Frequency is running rather high at idle. Almost 3200 MHz. Usually idles at around 800 MHz. Of course I didn’t check that on my test install. Anyway…

I looked at System Monitor and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Any suggestions on how I can sleuth this out.

Thanks!

Dave

KDE5 install here and I think it’s not a KDE5 problem more that nvidia and raedon opensource drivers are still not in shape like Intels one - i5 here and KDE5 runs stable since install on release day with only one reboot. Concerning blurry fonts I always set on this laptop sub-pixel rendering type: RGB and Hinting style: Full (like in case I’m using Gnome but for the moment I prefer KDE).

KDE4 dead? Who cares as long as we have the sourcecode? As long as it works better than KDE5, who cares?

What is a misconception? Have you actually read this bugreport and counted the number of people who reported the same problem?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=361236

Good for you that KDE5 works fine on your hardware. Are you suggesting that all the people reporting problems should buy
other hardware? Even if that hardware works fine with other distro’s and/or desktops?
Do you have any clue about software development? Apparently not otherwise you should know that this kind of software should
be tested on many systems with different hardware and different drivers before the first release.

Am I wrong when I said that SuSE takes care only of Gnome and let KDE be supported by the community?

The problem with Kate (my favorite text editor for programming) is that it is not using the systems font rendering but something different inside
Kate which can not be adjusted.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, I would be happy to admit my mistake and find a way to adjust the font rendering in Kate.

KDE4 is only in bugfix mode (on some distributions) only due to main development happens only for KDE5 anymore (that’s why I think it was mentioned as dead) and your mentioned tests cannot be done all from developers, too much different setups - they have to wait until someone reports a bug and simulate somehow the bug environment and out of experience it is sometimes hard to get from users all information to replicate bugs - not every user is a developer and therefore lack some information and a lot of open source developers do all this work in their spare time - users need also patience until some bug get fixed.

Most of desktop development happens in Gnome world for the simple fact that a major distribution vendor ships Gnome as it’s default desktop system and gnome/gtk developers are get paid too so much more development happens in Gnome world which attracts other developers again - KDE’s developer base is much smaller but quite interesting what got achieved.

In a way, that’s what I said. So, two things need to happen:

1. Wait with releasing a new major KDE version till all major bugs have been solved.

2. SuSE stops supporting Gnome and becomes again a real KDE distro. This way the money for SUSE’s Gnome developers can be used for KDE developers.

Now people who are using openSuse & KDE are stuck between 13.2 and 42.2 because soon the support for 13.2 will end…

Edit: p.s: In the past I used to buy the boxed version of SuSE Linux. I stopped doing that after they announced they would stop supporting
KDE (read pay developers).

Hi
The community maintainers/contributors decide, nothing to do with our primary sponsor.

The only reason is was dropped from SLE was the release time line for KDE5/Plasma did not fit in and support for KDE4 was dropped, KDE/Plasma is available in SLE via this community and Package Hub.

I installed leap 42.2 on my laptop PC=Samsung RV520, RAM=4 Gb, GPU=Nvidia GeForce GT 520M, CPU=Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz, I installed leap 42.2 in tri boot with opensuse 13.2 and windows 7. the leap 42.2 has been a fresh installation in two partitions, / and /home, both formatted in btrfs, the / with all the (many:)) subvolume as suggested by the installer, the /home with no subvolumes.
I’m not an expert user, and I have to say that the usability of KDE4 was very better of plasma5, expecially for the placing and handling and the options of widgets, and for the lack of different widget for each desktop, and many old plasmoid and kwin effects doesn’t works like for example beclock and stdin plasmoid, and some menues lacks, also breeze is horrible, and oxygen crashes dolphin, but I noted a clean up on systemsettings…
so I think that at 5.10 5.11 version will reach kde4 at usability :slight_smile:

Teuniz wrote:

> 2. SuSE stops supporting Gnome and becomes again a real KDE distro. This
> way the money for SUSE’s Gnome developers can be used for KDE
> developers.

I’m a KDE user since 1.x and stay at the moment with KDE4 under Leap 42.1 (which
can be still installed :)) ) but this is not my point.

To not support and/or pay Gnome won’t help anything with the way of KDE so as a
KDE user i can only say one to the opensuse packager: Thanks for supporting
Gnome and every other desktop.

Sorry but this “real KDE distro” was even until KDE 3 because this was the last
desktop without the plasma nightmare and without the most usesless software
named akonadi but with a full functional perfect kmail and this all has nothing
to do with supporting other desktops.

For the record:

On my system with Nvidia graphics, I am setting
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1
in the environment, and using the nouveau driver. That seems completely stable. I set that environment variable in my shell startup file.

I otherwise had problems with either nouveau or the Nvidia driver. But using the nouveau driver, with the opengl forced to software, all is well. I did also set desktop effects to use XRender.

I do not want to cause offence here, so let me apologies to you before I respond to your comment about the kate editor

1 Kate can be configured to use any of the fonts install on your system (at least those I have installed on mine which are those that came with this distro.)
this can be done with the setting option from the main menu ( configure Kate/Font & Colours/Font tab) this set the fonts kate uses within the editor.

If the Menu fonts is not to your liking that can be set in Plasma’s System Setting/Appearance Font. This setting affects all system apps with uses the Plasma Desktop Environment.

So if you are having those issues with kate there must be something else. I myself have always used kate from way back and never had any problems with it and it’s configuration. I am bot a programmer but I can read codes, if I want to look at most code I understand I use Kate to do so and it always work. Just have to make sure I have the plug-in installed.

I always setup my systems with which ever ditro I us to the fonts that suits me, never use the default they come with.
I like distrohopping and trying out new distro as the come out. So on my system I have a 128GB SSD with 4 ext4 partition installed with (Manjaro, Tumbleweed, openSUSE42.2 and Linuxmint all with Plasma 5.x)