Firmware test failures MTBR / DMI / HPET / Warn EDD / Fan

Gateway NV5214u laptop / Athlon 64x2 QL-64 @2.1Ghz / 4GB Ram / Radeon HD3200 / 500 GB / SuSE 11.2 /
Firmware test failures, MTBR / DMI / HPET / With Warnings, EDD / Fan /

Symptoms: second occurrence, With Clam enabled boots to GUI with “Kde media manager is not running” error, then thunderbird lost passwords, several boots later it made it to a bash screen. The diagnostic / repair utility on the SuSE install DVD returned results, FSTAB entries corrupted, MBR corrupted. (This all occurred after an application on trial crashed hard and locked the system.)

The source DVD was downloaded from the Novell open suse sight, was burned to high quality media by K3b at the slowest rate, MD5 verified and DVD verified at each use.

The main question, this system was doing the job admirably well for several months until I tried a questionable package are the failures in firmware test an issue, or was the failure pilot error in installing a toad of an app. This time the apps are going in and I’ll leave it alone, it works so well when it’s happy.

PS the fan does “throttle” in proportion th the processor speed and load.

Firmware report,
[FAIL] OS/2 memory hole test
F The memory map has a memory hole between 15mb and 16mb
[FAIL] MTBR validation
F Memory range 0x100000000 to 0x137FFFFFF (system RAM) has incorrect attribute default
F Memory range 0x100000000 to 0x137FFFFFF (system RAM) is lacking attribute write-back
[FAIL]DMI information check
F No SMBIOS nor DMI entry point found.
[FAIL] HPET configuration test
F Failed to locate HPET base
[FAIL] CPU frequency scaling tests (1-2 mins)
2 CPU frequency steps supported
F Supposedly higher frequency is slower on CPU 0!
F Processors are set to SW_ANY
[WARN] EDD Boot disk hinting
device 80: The system boots from device 0000:00:00.0 channel : 2 device: 0
W device 80: No matching MBR signature (0x0050d10) found for the boot disk
device 81: is provided by device 0000:00:13.2 channel: 0 serial_number: 11612431a43005dc
device 81: This disk has Linux device name /dev/sdb
[WARN] Fan tests
W No fan information present
[INFO] Battery tests
Battery BAT0 us model AS09A75 and is currently charged
[INFO] Processor microcode update
Kernal too old: the kernel does not export microcode version
Kernal too old: the kernel does not export microcode version
[INFO] (experimental) DMA Remapping (VT-d) test
No DMAR ACPI table found
[PASS] General ACPI information
[PASS] EBDA reigon
EDBA reigon is correctly reserved in the E820 table
[PASS] SVM Virtualization extensions
[PASS] Validate assigned PCI resources
[PASS] SUN duplicate test
Tested _SUN ids, successfully found no duplicates
[PASS] PCI Express MaxReadReq tuning
[PASS] DSDT AML verification
Tested table DSDT .dsl
[PASS] (experimental) APIC Edge/Level check
Memory Test,
26 hours, 13 passes, 0 errors

Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Good Day To All, Cfn7

Three things come to mind.

1. damaged bios rom or flash re-written by an app
  2. memory failure in some regions
  3. harddisk failure due to sectors over written by app or actual bad blocks being present.

What I would do is spend some time to test memory, motherboard, harddisk maybe from a LiveCD
check parttiion table with yast and if ok do a grub -install to restore grub bootloader (assuming that is part of the problem).
Keep looking for solutions till you get there.

Hi Techwiz03.
Read your wisdom on the forums for a while, now we meet, always loved your signature line, being a Florida “boy” of 60, if anybody said that it had to be Henry Flagler (or most likely someone that worked for him) he built the railroad down here.

Back on subject, I did run the memory test 26 hours, 13 passes, 0 failures.

I just want to make sure all my homework is complete before this third and hopefully final build is done.

Last Jan I remember the Ubuntu forums on Karmic Koala were discussing a supposed bug in the Ext4 file system that was causing corruption of large files, I do video and audio production where files can get very large very fast, guess my concern is obvious.  I have heard no such scuttlebutt on the SuSE forums so I dismissed it as a Ubuntu issue but now wondering, maybe roll back to Ext3 or even Riserfs.

My current BIOS is Phoenix “Trusted Core” V1.05, Gateway shows a V 1.14 which states “for vista & windoze7” which raises apprehension of just flashing the BIOS, and now as the boot screen goes by I see “Broken BIOS” what a lovely morning.  Maybe it's time to pull the RAM, HD and service this puppy in the backyard with a 12 Ga. ;-)  Decisions decisions.. more homework on the BIOS.

Thanks Techwiz03, I’ll be back with more questions or with some answers.

I thank you all at the forum
Regards, Cfn7

CFN7 wrote:

> I remember the Ubuntu forums on Karmic Koala were
> discussing a supposed bug in the Ext4 file system that was causing
> corruption of large files, I do video and audio production where files

i don’t know about supposed bugs but you can (or course) research
bugzilla
<http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports#Searching_for_bugs> and
see what is hidden in there…

last i heard Ext4 has not yet been named “production ready” (but i
could be wrong), if so i’d only use it on my sandbox…and not for
anything important, like producing video…

after all, we know ext3 is pretty hardy/dependable…

ymmv!!

> “for vista & windoze7” which raises apprehension of
> just flashing the BIOS

well, if it is not an ext4 problem, it might be a bios problem, and
if you can’t use the machine with your industrial system of choice
then you might as well flash it and see if then it will produce good
results…and if not sell that puppy to a disadvantaged (win only)
stranger…

my two cents…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Glad to have an admirer

Back on subject, I did run the memory test 26 hours, 13 passes, 0 failures.  I just want to make sure all my homework is complete before this third and hopefully final build is done.

Memory test is good first step. passed
Have you checked Yast partition info to see if it matches what it should?

{QUOTE]
Last Jan I remember the Ubuntu forums on Karmic Koala were discussing a supposed bug in the Ext4 file system that was causing corruption of large files, I do video and audio production where files can get very large very fast, guess my concern is obvious. I have heard no such scuttlebutt on the SuSE forums so I dismissed it as a Ubuntu issue but now wondering, maybe roll back to Ext3 or even Riserfs.
[/QUOTE]
Riserfs is not a good option / unsupported & lots of complaints with using on openSUSE.
EXT4 is now used as production class. EXT3 being phased out for lacking ability offered by EXT4. I also have been doing video production and as yet have not had issue with EXT4 but with any filesystem there is a chance of corruption if too many processes try to access the fs simultaniously.
IF you must roll back go for EXT3 (at least where video data files are concerned)

My current BIOS is Phoenix “Trusted Core” V1.05, Gateway shows a V 1.14 which states “for vista & windoze7” which raises apprehension of just flashing the BIOS, and now as the boot screen goes by I see “Broken BIOS” what a lovely morning.  Maybe it's time to pull the RAM, HD and service this puppy in the backyard with a 12 Ga. ;-)  Decisions decisions.. more homework on the BIOS.

While a miss-behaving program can change the BIOS, this is usually found amongst Windose apps as malware. In addition, since Windose ignores most errors, and assumes all is well, Linux strives for a perfect responding system so it does tend to complain. I would try and test with a live CD to see if the BIOS still comes up defective. If the live CD works without error chances are that the BIOS is ok and the vzimage and accompanying files may have issues or even the grub bootloader may be bad.

Good day DenverD and Techwiz03

Just got to check the email & forum, been one of those days, I have a “gig” this evening and will probably be a total zombie by the time I get home, wont get to play until Sat PM.

I really thank you both for sharing your experience and insight with myself and the suse forums, your opinions and observations are worth a whole lot more than two cents, experience is priceless! The community aspects of open source is why it is such an effective approach to software development and support, thank you all at the SuSE forums.

I'll post back as soon as I am coherent.

Regards, Cfn7

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Some advice I got from a manufacturor’s website: Dismantle completely: take everything from the motherboard, clean contacts, reseat all, try booting.

Hi One and All!

Well my Sunday was productive, recovered all the data and scanned for infections, which was negative, did  the full tear down and re staked all IDC connectors,  re flowed  several suspicious areas at the “north and south bridge” LSI's and several header pins, cleaned any flux residue and applied some conformal coat at the surface mount lands to suppress any “tin whisker” issues, did the chamois swab with cramolin gold deoxid on all interconnect pins and socketed devices, replaced the thermal compound with arctic silver. The only suggestion I did not do is the BIOS, which by all homework requires Windoze to execute the flash utility provided, no M$ in my house for many years now.

At this point the drive has been reformatted Ext4 with a sensible partition layout and having 1 OS decided to boot off MBR option in YaST, all is loaded and cookin' now it's been through 25 boot cycles without weirdness, after a 200 hour burn in I'll pronounce it fully healed.

So, no more bogus packages from questionable sources for me, I've got my 3 ATA briefcase studio back and I'm a happy camper!

I sincerely thank Techwiz03, DenverD, Knurpht and everyone at the SuSE forums for all of the valuable expertise you have shared with me, I only hope I can become knowledgeable enough to make meaningful contributions  to the forums.

I believe we can say “case closed” if not I'll come back and whine.....
Regards Cfn7

"If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it !"

CFN7 wrote:
> I believe we can say “case closed” if not I’ll come back and
> whine…

congrats!

anyone who knows about the importance of arctic silver, contact
cleaner (etc) can whine around me…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Thanks DenverD,
I was a keyboard, pro audio tech scene the late '60s, from a nuts & bolts point of view a laptop
is not as intimidating as a Memory Moog which was a packaging nightmare, if anything this one looks like Tom Oberheim was involved, SCI also did a good package assembly as did Yamaha on the first DX-7 ( DX-7-I had a failure rate less than 1% ) if you ever saw one it was busted keys, jack or slider. Also kinda funny, if CBM had not ticked off Bill Crocket (later founded Ensoniq) we would be discussing our “Amiga 20,000s” on the forums.

I just allowed the intimidation factor of being dropped at the BASH prompt override the instinct of a real triage and inspection, Knurpht figuratively gave me a good slap on the back on the noggin with his suggestion,  just what I needed, action over attitude.

Once again I thank you DebverD!

You sound very tech savvy, sure you may find these links amusing.
 www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/belchfire_datasheet.pdf 
 [Graphical User Interface Gallery](http://toastytech.com/guis)

Many Regards, Cfn7

OK - I know this post is 5 years old but, here we are, Xmas 1913, and I’ve got the same problem. The best answer I’ve found is here:

cpu problems

The answer seems to be “Don’t worry about it!”

dmk