Firefox updates

When Firefox began to get regular updates, each update overwrote my settings. So I got rid of it. When I installed 12.2, complete with Firefox, my settings were not changed. However, after the first update, my settings have again been overwritten by Firefox. Is this Mozilla or a packaging problem?

I have never had that problem.

Which settings are you looking at?

Most of the user settings will be in files in $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/*.default
and should not be affected by an update.

The KDE desktop settings - Firefox overwrites the default browser setting which I have set to another browser. Even if I reset the default browser, Firefox overwrites that setting at the next update.

Oh!

I have KDE set to default to konqueror (though I actually use firefox, but konqueror works better with akregator).

This morning, I ran online updates. And when I next opened a message from akregator, it came up in firefox instead of konqueror. I checked KDE settings, and those had changed so that the default was now firefox.

Here’s the strange thing: there wasn’t a firefox update there. I had installed the firefox update (to 15.0.1) several days ago. I am suspecting that some other update caused KDE to change its settings.

An additional comment.

There is a setting for firefox to check whether it is the default browser. I have that turned off.
I restart firefox every day. Restarting firefox has never changed my default browser back to firefox (at least, not within memory).

Today, I restarted firefox at around 7 am. It did not change my default browser. I ran Yast online updates at around 10 am. And that’s about when my default browser changed.

I doubt that online update is looking at my personal settings. But perhaps some global change is causing KDE to alter them.

Perhaps it has to do with firefox suse branding? You might try uninstalling that.

Thanks for the suggestions. The strange thing is that I have been using SUSE/openSUSE since 2005 and I have always had Konqueror as my default browser and never had any problems until Firefox followed Chrome into frequent updates. I had wondered about the branding - except, why would that change at the same time as Firefox changed its update frequency?

I plan to keep konqueror set as default browser, at least for a while. So I’ll watch to see if the problem repeats.

I think there’s a bug somewhere, but we don’t yet have enough information to be able to usefully report it as a bug.

Mozilla snuck back on without any warning during an hplip install and overwrote all the user settings again; so removed it and restored the user settings.

Firefox (and thunderbird) updated to 16.0.1 today.

My default browser still shows as konqueror. So the firefox update did not cause problems. And, yes, I have started firefox since the update, but that did not change my default browser.

Whatever caused the problem that I mentioned in comment #5 has not repeated here.

> Mozilla snuck back on without any warning

impossible!!!


dd

Very possible - I was installing hplip 3.12.10a from the printing repo using Apper (not YaST) and Mozilla was installed at the same time without any notification; normally there is a box listing changes with a ‘Continue’ button when you do a normal update with Apper. No such box appeared - just three Mozilla updates along with hplip. Had I been given the choice, I would have removed Mozilla before proceeding.

Then something unique is happening to you John.
I can’t say any of this applies to any of the endless installations I have done.

On 10/16/2012 11:46 PM, john hudson wrote:
> Very possible - using Apper (not YaST

ah! i see i should have written:
“impossible if using forum recommended procedures!!!”

you do know, don’t you, that some (many? most? all?) experienced helpers
around here advise the use of YaST Online Update (YOU) and/or zypper for
all openSUSE software management actions and they recommend if using
Apper at all, only use it for notification that an update is waiting,
and nothing else…

so once you have seen the notice: CLOSE Apper and use YaST Online Update
or zypper patch/up to run in your needed security/recommended updates…

some helpers recommend disabling or uninstalling Apper and/or packagekit
because they have proven so many many times to be unreliable and system
killing in openSUSE (i have no idea of their utility in non-YaST
equipped Linux distros), see: http://tinyurl.com/8rcqg9j

personally, during my install of openSUSE i elected to not install
apper…and, i just run YOU occasionally (i do it daily, some say weekly
is enough)…

if you installed apper/packagekit, i suggest you never use it for
anything other than a notification signal

ymmv


dd
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Hardware
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Software

Re most of what you say, whenever I have gone to Online Update after seeing a notification, there have been no updates listed. But when I click on Apper, updates are downloaded.

Re the specific situation in which I clicked on an RPM in the printing repository, I have now checked File Associations and find that Apper precedes Install Software. As this is the default installation, it would be reasonable to assume that this is the ‘official’ way of installing a single RPM, would it not?

On 2012-10-17 23:16, john hudson wrote:

> it would
> be reasonable to assume that this is the ‘official’ way of installing a
> single RPM, would it not?

It depends on whom you ask.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

On 10/17/2012 11:16 PM, john hudson wrote:
>
> Re most of what you say, whenever I have gone to Online Update after
> seeing a notification, there have been no updates listed. But when I
> click on Apper, updates are downloaded.

yes, in the software management stack (apper/packagekit/zypp) apper is
BROKEN! its update list is not compliant with YaST or zypper…and,
if you apply the updates appers offer you are quite likely to break
your system.

whereas if you apply the updates offered by YaST Online Update you will
usually find only smiles…

>
> it would be reasonable to assume

assume as you wish…
then, the next time you assume Apper is correct, and YaST is wrong, and
Apper updates it overwrites your whatever, or your system no longer
boots: you will know why and how that happened!

i’m done here.


dd http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

Thanks for the clarification!

To bad Apper causes so much troubles!

The good news is it’s getting better :slight_smile: