firefox hangs due to libproxy -> pxgconf

Hi,

i have opensuse 11.3 and i am using gnome.

occasionally my firefox hangs. this is sometimes without any reason i see.
the only times i can nearly reproduce this, is when i directly open a PDF with evince. in this case a dialog-window opens, asking whether to download or open using evince. if i choose opening directly with evince, evince opens normally. however, then i am unable to close the dialog window of firefox witch makes firefox unuseable.

when firefox freezes like this, it has a child process called “pxgconf” open (seen in gnome-system-monitor). if i kill this pxgconf, firefox is usable again.

pxgconf seems to be in /usr/lib/libproxy and thus part of libproxy1-config-gnome-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64 package (i’ve validated all packages using rpm):

$ rpm -qa | grep libproxy
python-libproxy-0.4.3-1.5.noarch
libproxy1-networkmanager-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64
libproxy1-0.4.3-1.5.x86_64
libproxy1-config-gnome-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64
libproxy1-config-kde4-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64
libproxy1-pacrunner-mozjs-0.4.3-1.3.i586
libproxy1-networkmanager-32bit-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64
libproxy1-32bit-0.4.3-1.5.x86_64

(i don’t know how to show package info with rpm, but the package-manager reports they all all from openSUSE-11.3-Oss)

my repos:

$ zypper lr
#  | Alias                   | Name                    | Enabled | Refresh
---+-------------------------+-------------------------+---------+--------
1  | NVIDIA Repository       | NVIDIA Repository       | Yes     | Yes    
2  | Packman                 | Packman                 | Yes     | Yes    
3  | Packman2                | Packman2                | No      | No    
4  | X11:Compiz              | X11:Compiz              | No      | No     
5  | lnussel                 | lnussel                 | No     | No    
6  | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | No      | No     
7  | repo-debug              | openSUSE-11.3-Debug     | No      | No     
8  | repo-non-oss            | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss   | Yes     | Yes    
9  | repo-oss                | openSUSE-11.3-Oss       | Yes     | Yes    
10 | repo-source             | openSUSE-11.3-Source    | No      | No    
11 | repo-update             | openSUSE-11.3-Update    | Yes     | Yes    
12 | vlc                     | vlc                     | Yes     | Yes  

i’m running firefox in thru strace now and directing all output to files, so next freeze hopefully there will be something valuable in there.

any other suggestions?

ps: i’ve already tested this with a new firefox profile, same result.

brian j wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> i have opensuse 11.3 and i am using gnome.
>
> occasionally my firefox hangs. this is sometimes without any reason i
> see.
> the only times i can nearly reproduce this, is when i directly open a
> PDF with evince. in this case a dialog-window opens, asking whether to
> download or open using evince. if i choose opening directly with evince,
> evince opens normally. however, then i am unable to close the dialog
> window of firefox witch makes firefox unuseable.
>
> when firefox freezes like this, it has a child process called “pxgconf”
> open (seen in gnome-system-monitor). if i kill this pxgconf, firefox is
> usable again.
>
> pxgconf seems to be in /usr/lib/libproxy and thus part of
> libproxy1-config-gnome-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64 package (i’ve validated all
> packages using rpm):
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> $ rpm -qa | grep libproxy
> python-libproxy-0.4.3-1.5.noarch
> libproxy1-networkmanager-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64
> libproxy1-0.4.3-1.5.x86_64
> libproxy1-config-gnome-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64
> libproxy1-config-kde4-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64
> libproxy1-pacrunner-mozjs-0.4.3-1.3.i586
> libproxy1-networkmanager-32bit-0.4.3-1.3.x86_64
> libproxy1-32bit-0.4.3-1.5.x86_64
> --------------------
>
>
> (i don’t know how to show package info with rpm, but the
> package-manager reports they all all from openSUSE-11.3-Oss)

rpm -qi libproxy1-config-gnome

< snip>

> i’m running firefox in thru strace now and directing all output to
> files, so next freeze hopefully there will be something valuable in
> there.
>
> any other suggestions?

What happens if you uninstall libproxy1-config-gnome?


Don

rpm -qi libproxy1-config-gnome

reports:


rpm -qi libproxy1-config-gnome
warning: waiting for shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
Name        : libproxy1-config-gnome       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 0.4.3                             Vendor: openSUSE
Release     : 1.3                           Build Date: Tue 06 Jul 2010 01:34:25 AM CEST
Install Date: Mon 11 Oct 2010 09:25:35 PM CEST      Build Host: build17
Group       : System/Libraries              Source RPM: libproxy-plugins-0.4.3-1.3.src.rpm
Size        : 58704                            License: GPLv2+ ; LGPLv2.1+
Signature   : RSA/8, Tue 06 Jul 2010 01:34:57 AM CEST, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
URL         : http://code.google.com/p/libproxy/
Summary     : Libproxy module for GNOME configuration
Description :
A module to extend libproxy with capabilities to query GNOME about
proxy settings.
Distribution: openSUSE 11.3
sebastian@linux-9a0h:~> rpm -qi libproxy1-config-gnome
Name        : libproxy1-config-gnome       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 0.4.3                             Vendor: openSUSE
Release     : 1.3                           Build Date: Tue 06 Jul 2010 01:34:25 AM CEST
Install Date: Mon 11 Oct 2010 09:25:35 PM CEST      Build Host: build17
Group       : System/Libraries              Source RPM: libproxy-plugins-0.4.3-1.3.src.rpm
Size        : 58704                            License: GPLv2+ ; LGPLv2.1+
Signature   : RSA/8, Tue 06 Jul 2010 01:34:57 AM CEST, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
URL         : http://code.google.com/p/libproxy/
Summary     : Libproxy module for GNOME configuration
Description :
A module to extend libproxy with capabilities to query GNOME about
proxy settings.
Distribution: openSUSE 11.3

the changelist is at least 50 entries long, not only firefox, but a hell lot more.

imsht.png - Bilder und Fotos kostenlos auf ImageBanana hochladen

brian j wrote:

>> What happens if you uninstall libproxy1-config-gnome?
>>
>> –
>> Don
>
> the changelist is at least 50 entries long, not only firefox, but ‘a
> hell lot more.’ (http://www.imagebanana.com/view/8v8jkbh6/im****.png)

Ah. Then I’m not sure what to suggest.

I also found some strange behavior in firefox that seemed to be at least
partially related to libproxy1-config-kde4 (under KDE4, not gnome of
course). I was able to remove this one package (no dependencies). Hence my
previous question.


Don