Firefox freezes when streaming divx videos

Hi all!
I’m having problems with streaming divx videos in Firefox 3.6 on openSUSE 11.2.
Every time I try to load a divx video Firefox ends up freezing, ultimately leading to dialog box giving me the option to terminate Firefox.
No matter what plugin I try to use it’s the same problem. I’ve tried mplayerplug-in, which shows a gray background with the Mplayer logo where the video should be but it keeps buffering, once I press play it freezes. I tried the vlc browser plugin which doesn’t seem to even recognize anything and I tried gecko-mplayer, which didn’t even show the logo and buffering.
I tired removing Firefox and all the plugins and tried installing them again to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Anybody???
I’d really appreciate some help, if anybody else has encountered this…

I use gecko-mediaplayer and it seems to work well

give us a link (wrap the url in code here please) to try

Well I don’t know what it was because I had already tried gecko-mediaplayer, but after a clean install of openSUSE and trying again it works, like you suggested. I’m guessing I didn’t have to do a clean install but I guess I’m still essentially a Windows user. Although I seriously hope that changes.
Thanks for your help…

Installing several media-plugins often makes Firefox dizzy, I suppose you haven’t uninstalled the previous plugins before trying the alternatives.

Well… it works now.

I recommend you keep your software repositories limited to ONLY OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. Just those 4. No others. Having too many repositories can cause new users many problems, and our forum is over flowing with broken applications/functions due to new users going rampent and adding every repository under the sun. Stick to those 4 repositories.

Thanks for the advice. Will do. Thanks again for your help, oh noble knowledgeable ones…
:slight_smile:

Good luck mate;)